Driver Opens Door to Stop Lane Splitting

I guess this driver took exception to the motorcycle driver lane splitting?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds4bRTZfS3g&feature=related]Driver Opens Door On Biker - YouTube[/ame]

Holy Smokes! Are you kidding me!? I want to see the rest of that video! I know that wasn't all that happened. I suspect the rider didn't want to incriminate himself by filming the beating that should have ensued! I'm with Grinch. If that were me I'd be sitting in a jail cell waiting for my son to bail me out and the driver would have been in the emergency room for sure!!!

Looks like it was just a guy in a taxi who wanted to get out of the cab 9to see what was going on) before looking properly when opening his door.

Last edited:
I could not tell what country that was in, those were not US license plates, and yes if someone did that to me I would proceed to rip the door all the way off that car.

Looks like it was just a guy in a taxi who wanted to get out of the cab 9to see what was going on) before looking properly when opening his door.

You know, you have a good eye. I looked at it again and I bet he noticed that his trunk lid was open and he was going to get out and close it. Look at the video and see the lid open out back. Still sucks that he didn't look in his mirror first. The only thing I will say is that he definitely didn't have to open the door so wide if he was just getting out to close the trunk. Bad deal either way!

Oh I would've went medieval on his butt. That door of his would have had to have been surgically removed from a certain area of his person!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come on y'all - can we leave the threats to maybe a younger angrier board??

It does suck though! I worry about that very thing down here in Texas, and about as much as some stupid redneck pulling a gun or chasing me to vent about 'cutting in line'.

I wonder, is it legal to open your car door on the road or is it creating a hazard?

Of course, maybe it was on purpose! If so, it could be pretty serious charge in the U.S. like maybe assault?

What sucks is it'll be charged to the cyclist.... :( :cry:

Except for California, it is illegal in the US to lane split. I can tell you that in New England, people WILL go out of their way to do things like this because they feel that a motorcycle should wait in traffic like any other vehicle must. We don't do it here. Other states, even though illegal, tolerate this behavior better. If you're visiting up here, just don't do it.

I wish we could do it though! Typically, I just avoid traffic and stick to the back roads. Or, with the GPS on the bike, have it warn me of traffic and re-route me.

Don't know if it was allowed in that country but if it was, the driver was in the wrong and the rider has a right to make a claim against the driver. Did you notice that the trunk was open on the cab? Maybe he'd popped it to go get something or popped it by accident and was getting out to close it? Don't know!! Sucks no matter what though. :(

It may or not be legal in the country shown in the video, but either way, as I watch it over and over, I can see that the driver sees his trunk open and sees an opportunity to close it while being stopped. He just didn't bother to check his mirrors. Because of that it wound up being a 3 vehicle incident. Too bad. I don't split lanes because of that very reason. Too many blind spots and drivers that change lanes without turning their heads first. I'd rather be stuck in traffic and get home safe.

It's legal in Cali and I do it every day.

IMHO it's far more dangerous being in between the rear end of one car and the front end of another. I've been rear ended twice (in my truck) on my way home from work by who were texting while driving.

You're better off splitting lanes to the front of the light, and taking off as soon as the green hits. I keep cars as far away from me as possible at all times.

Besides, car drivers should thank us.....one less car!

It's legal in Cali and I do it every day.

IMHO it's far more dangerous being in between the rear end of one car and the front end of another. I've been rear ended twice (in my truck) on my way home from work by who were texting while driving.

You're better off splitting lanes to the front of the light, and taking off as soon as the green hits. I keep cars as far away from me as possible at all times.

Besides, car drivers should thank us.....one less car!

Right you are......in California though. In the rest of the country, drivers know that it's not legal so they have a different mindset. They aren't looking between lanes when driving. They are to busy texting and talking on their cell phones to care about the poor schlub coming up on them on a bike.

I had this happen to me, When I lived in Cali a friend and I were headed to Santa Cruz on a Friday. The traffic was horrible as you can imagine I was splitting a lane and then all of a sudden the door pops open. Luckily I was able to swerve around. Point is, What I was doing was legal what they did was dangerous....

Right you are......in California though. In the rest of the country, drivers know that it's not legal so they have a different mindset. They aren't looking between lanes when driving. They are to busy texting and talking on their cell phones to care about the poor schlub coming up on them on a bike.

I doubt most people in California know lane sharing is legal. We still get all kinds of jerks trying to cut us off or run us off the road.

I doubt most people in California know lane sharing is legal. We still get all kinds of jerks trying to cut us off or run us off the road.

Not sure I agree Mark, many drivers in Ca do know bikes lane split and will move over in stop and go traffic to let the bikes get by. Sure we have some crazies like everywhere else. But I find Ca has the best drivers when it comes to moving over for bikes in the city or in the mountains as compared to most any other state I have rode through.

Do I like to lane split on a bike?-hell no it's white knuckle time but loud pipes help. Really sucks on my quiet FJR

Will I lane split when traffic is at a crawl?- hell yes!

It's great to get through miles of backed up traffic or traffic waiting for a red light in no time.

However I live in the hills and prefer to just stay away from metro areas - problem solved!

Back