Driver Opens Door to Stop Lane Splitting

Lane Splitting is legal over here. Even in the classes you need to take they encurridge it because it is a lot safer to lane split then to get in line.

1 car driver not paying attention is 1 dead motor driver.

For whatever it is worth, the door opener most likely got his door frame bent ... twisted... in that encounter. That was a petty solid blow to that fully opened door. His door likely would not close after that.

I got the feeling the following bike was a Triumph.... Bonneville... with the round gauges.

Lane splitting ought to be legal everywhere. Motorcycling ought to be encouraged in every country. We use less gas and take up less space. If everyone rode there would be a lot less traffic.

Lane splitting ought to be legal everywhere. Motorcycling ought to be encouraged in every country. We use less gas and take up less space. If everyone rode there would be a lot less traffic.

They ought to give us our own highway system, Something with lots of twisties and rollercoaster hills!!! :sport12:

I agree it should be legal but the FZ1 isn't a MPG dream. My wife's Yaris gets better mileage and has much less carbon footprint with its emissions intact than the FZ1. ;)

I doubt most people in California know lane sharing is legal. We still get all kinds of jerks trying to cut us off or run us off the road.

I'm willing to bet that those who are the jerks are transplants from other states where, like Billy and I said, it was something that irritated them into taking action. The ones that move are aware... :D

I agree it should be legal but the FZ1 isn't a MPG dream. My wife's Yaris gets better mileage and has much less carbon footprint with its emissions intact than the FZ1. ;)

Doesn't have to be an FZ1. There are plenty of bikes that get much better mileage And still take up less space thus reducing congestion. They even make some fantastic scooters these days. Great for commuting.

I'm willing to bet that those who are the jerks are transplants from other states where, like Billy and I said, it was something that irritated them into taking action. The ones that move are aware... :D

That's the biggest problem with Cali....transplants. Like the sign says: "Welcome to California....now GTFO."

:jk:

Doesn't have to be an FZ1. There are plenty of bikes that get much better mileage And still take up less space thus reducing congestion. They even make some fantastic scooters these days. Great for commuting.

True that... I was assuming that your reference to "we" meant the FZ1 owners on the forum, that is all. For other-than fun rides, we should all try a better MPG commuter. ;)

Just read in the latest issue of Australian Cycle Torque that the peak motorcycle bodies in Aus have signed a Memorandum of Understanding on the issue of legitimising lane filtering & agreeing to support a proposal put forward by Vic Roads (road rules & law makers). At the moment you can be booked for lane splitting at traffic lights for passing on the LHS. Hopefully this may change!!

If anyone is interested its the March issue page 8. Can be viewed at cycletorque.com.au.

here in belgium they made it legal from januari 2012. And it was about time they did this. When you drive a motorcylcle you may pas between two lanes if traffic is standing stil or move verry slow . If there are more than 2 lanes you should pass between the two most on the left side of the road. I'm happy with this.

Back