Dustin's Official 2015 Trip Report Thread

An absolutely fantastic day today gliding through the Cascades to Leavenworth. Quiet roads, great food, nature walks and the MotoGP race to finish off the night. I'll try to get some photos up later but until then, watch the tracker tomorrow morning as we make our way down towards Oregon. :)

A very soggy day 2 and Sandra's first time riding in rain. To top it off, it seems that my heated vest packed it in so she was without heat! She's a real trooper and didn't complain one bit.

We left our hotel and headed south, out of the Cascades and through the Yakima Canyon which I've always wanted to do. Gorgeous, outstanding, spectacular! From there we headed West on US-12 to White Pass and onward. It was very windy and cold and started raining after White Pass. It stayed wet until we arrived in Centralia.

Originally we had planned to visit Mt. Rainier and head up Chinook Pass but with heavy fog and rain, we weren't going to see anything anyway.

Tomorrow's plan is to visit Mt. St. Helens and then onward to Portland. If it's a miserable day, we'll head straight to Portland and find some fun in the city instead.

Last edited:
Sandra playing moose just a few minutes outside Leavenworth
VkeK4tol.jpg

Evidence of the forest fire from last year
iNGthwWl.jpg

pSLrOjVl.jpg

Arrival!
tUgEQVpl.jpg

A mural of a family and their mutated child
lTMAxsEl.jpg

qQKH1HDl.jpg

The local goats
9S4WUEDl.jpg

It's a Bavarian theme park!
2T3iWFkl.jpg

0COMurgl.jpg

Even has a Maibaum pole
qze5AHnl.jpg

LvGDpURl.jpg

Prost
LvGDpURl.jpg

The only un-themed thing in town
69i49Y2l.jpg

U9I5CPsl.jpg

Ye olde Starbucks
bmXcN0Ml.jpg

All alpine and stuff
WskUT49l.jpg

Taking a picture of taking a picture
6nnsosnl.jpg

vjntyL3l.jpg

Wurst und Kraut
TVGcSgbl.jpg

Sandra totally loved the Yakima Canyon
KgHKDnTl.jpg

Day 3 is underway and we've changed plans. It's such a miserable day that we decided to skip Mt. St. Helens and the Columbia River Vista House and go straight to Portland. We will try for an early check-in to our hotel and then hit the city. We're staying right downtown and there's going to be lots to see.

The forecast looks fantastic after Wednesday and we will change our route to see what we missed on our way to Seattle

Portland is a great city. Our hotel was nice enough to check us in at 11:30 and we hit the city until 8 pm! Lots to see, lots to eat and finally a delicious cup of coffee. Mmm!

Trying a new image sharing method, let me know if the images are too big on your browser

Street food carts all over

:)

Portland university campus

Fun architecture

You said it, George

Hmm, what to choose?

Waterfront Park

March of the geese

Honest Abe

A Portland icon

We have one in Vancouver too!

Another Portland 'must-do'

Last edited:
We left Portland and headed west to the coast. The first hour and a half was miserable rain but we soldiered on and soon reached Tillamook. My bike was handling quite poorly and I stopped for gas and to check the tires. As expected, they had lost a few PSI and I put some air in and all was well. We took a diversion to see coast via a small road and landed in Oceanside, OR

We left and headed south, through Cape Lookout and took some photos. The coastline is just incredible in Oregon.

Found a waterfall

And a scary monster!

The monster wasn't so scary after all

We stopped for lunch in Pacific City and were treated to a break in the weather. Things were looking up from here

Lost in thought

Rain or sun, any day on the bike at the seaside is a good day

We arrived in Newport, abandoned our gear and donned our flip-flops

Tomorrow we head south to Crescent City and get to enjoy even more of this incredible coastline. I love Oregon

We're in Crescent City, CA tonight after a spectacular day of riding along the coast. We stopped in Florence, OR for a coffee and I popped into the local Yamaha dealer for some chain lube. After sitting in the sun on the patio of Siuslaw River Coffee Roasters, we geared up and headed south

It was chilly and very windy all day long and even when we got to our stopover, someone needed to bundle up

She actually has a wind burn on her face!

A good example of erosion

We visited the dunes for a bit and moved on

The view from Port Orford was spectacular. I remember stopping here once for a coffee at a place called Sirens Cove Cafe.

The wind made everything violent, especially the sea

Welcome to California

One in fleece and windbreaker and the other in t-shirt and flip-flops

Scaled up a rocky hill for a sea view. I always thought this is what you might see on the coast of Scotland

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

A pelican

Looks like a Good trip so far sept for the WET. We use to ride this HELL outa them dunes till they cracked down on DB's. I hear there going to drop it more soon.

Arrived in Klamath Falls, OR after a lovely day slicing through forest roads. We decided to take a walk around Klamath Falls after lunch and I'm posting this from a lakefront park in town. Tomorrow, we will see Crater Lake and several volcanoes on the way to Bend :)

Thanks for the update! I think it's so cool that you have a girl that enjoys traveling on two wheels like you do. That's awesome!

I think it's awesome too! This trip has been really excellent and I think I actually really enjoy the pacing as well. 200-300 miles a day is great and it gives me a chance to get out and enjoy the way down as well as the places I stay in.

Last edited:
Awesome trip is awesome.
Crater Lake is beautiful. There should still be some very tall snow banks on the side of the road at the top.
This is from my trip up there some years ago. It was mid-July.
SnowMustang.jpg

Awesome trip is awesome.
Crater Lake is beautiful. There should still be some very tall snow banks on the side of the road at the top.
This is from my trip up there some years ago. It was mid-July.
SnowMustang.jpg

There's a serious drought going on here on the west coast at the moment. Snowpack is almost zero and I bet we won't see a lick of snow. Fun photo!

Back