Dustin's Official 2015 Trip Report Thread

We're in Bend after a spectacular day of sightseeing. Crater Lake was fantastic and so was the Cascade Lakes scenic route that Doug recommended. I'll get photos up later

Sunset in Klamath Falls

Crater Lake was fantastic

Life finds a way, even in such an inhospitable place

Forest fires devastated this area last year

One of the 'Three Sisters'

A lovely alpine meadow at the base of Mt. Bachelor

Mt. Bachelor

South Sister

Some controlled burning outside Bend

Absolutely starving by the time we arrived in Bend. Found a great plant-based burger joint

Bend has a great waterfront promenade on the Deschutes River

Downtown Bend was a real surprise. Actually, the whole town was. Very fun, great vibe.

Lots of old cars around town

A pedal powered mobile pub

Sunset on the river

We're in Hood River, OR and taking a much needed coffee break. It is hot today, 31°c, 88°f

Our final stop is just outside Portland

Last edited:
150 km from Seattle and I'm feeling knackered today. We took the road up to Johnston Ridge Observatory to see Mt. St. Helens. Fantastic place, really incredible.

After 2 hours roasting in the border line, Sandra and I are back in the US for a two day meander around WA. Stay tuned and watch the tracker ;)

Back home now after a great day. We went up to Hurricane Ridge in the morning then met some friends for lunch in Port Townsend, WA. I always wanted to ride the road up to Hurricane Ridge and it was pretty fun as long as you didn't get stuck behind traffic.

Before I get to the trip photos, I'll post up a couple shots from the scenic flight I booked for Sandra as an anniversary gift. We went an hour up in a Cessna over the local mountains and downtown Vancouver

View from the Coupeville ferry queue. Gorgeous weather seems to be the norm for the PNW now. It has been much warmer than the average here this year

We saw a really neat 3-person tandem bike! It was a dad and his two kids riding around

On the ferry to Port Townsend

Whale watching

In Port Angeles we spotted a cheeky little raccoon begging for food. It was adorable

Port Angeles sits directly across from Vancouver Island, separated by the Juan de Fuca Straight. Here you can see the fog rolling in at dusk

Up on Hurricane Ridge, one of the wettest places in North America. Very dry this year, though

More of Hurricane Ridge

The big, snowy one is Mt. Olympus, the tallest peak of this range. You can see the lack of snow here. Water levels are already dangerously low

Another example

On our way back to the parking lot we spotted a deer just hanging out in a shady area, munching leaves

It eventually left the shade and made a b-line for some good eats

This is how close we were to it. I guess it's used to humans

Some of the cool architecture in Port Townsend, a real gem of a town. I loved it and will definitely visit again soon

A cute back-alley cafe in Port Townsend

The ferry dock to take you to Whidbey Island

Another area with a great style

A really excellent coffee shop with an equally excellent sea view

I see these old Merc fire trucks from time to time; I wonder if people import them?

Back