Dustin's Official 2015 Trip Report Thread

Another day done and 360 miles closer to home. It was extremely windy today and I got caught in a pretty gnarly storm after I crossed into Idaho. The wind and rain was so intense I had to actually pull off at a rest area and wait it out! No matter, tomorrow I've got around 330 miles to Yakima and then I will bolt home early the next morning. :)

Photos:

Just outside my hotel in South Salt Lake there were two fun dealerships

I pulled over to put a fleece on in anticipation of the storm

Snake River just outside Twin Falls, Idaho

Last edited:
Glad to hear you made it back safely, Dustin! I keep looking at the pictures, wishing I was watching the Ouray sunset from the Matterhorn!

Cheers!
Mark

Hey, good to see you are home. I was looking for a progress update yesterday, but figured you must have been having too good a time out on the town.

Enjoyed your pictures along the way...glad I didn't say anything about the bowling alley.

Hey, good to see you are home. I was looking for a progress update yesterday, but figured you must have been having too good a time out on the town.

Enjoyed your pictures along the way...glad I didn't say anything about the bowling alley.

It was great to meet and ride with you, John! I look forward to next time. Oregon 2016? ;)

I'm slogging through my (admittedly short) work week, ripe with anticipation for next week when Sandra and I head to Banff for 4 days. We opted to rent a car and will drive straight there on Tuesday. I am glad we decided to get a car as there's all kinds of snow warnings in the area and we'll get a chance to do activities that would otherwise be unavailable or very inconvenient by bike.

Stay tuned!

Good Call Dustin, man, our weather went from summer to fall in 1 day. That storm we had last weekend was Nasty, no power here for 2 days... Butt, looks like I'll back on 2 wheels all next week :)

OK, let's get some photos. This is my first time exploring this part of BC/Alberta and I am glad to be able to see it.

As you can see, the drive in was pretty much just clouds and rain. Combined with several long queues at construction areas, it took us 12 hours to get to our hotel in Banff, AB.

Today we went for a short hike to Boom Lake. I really enjoyed getting out for a hike, something I don't often do without a car.

More to come

We got some sunshine today and I spent the afternoon relaxing. Snapped a couple shots along the way :)

The Bow River

Utilized the panoramic mode of my phone to try and show the 360° of incredible sights

And a fun CBR set up for some sport touring

The Bow Valley

More views from the road

Oxygen poisoned and happy

Last edited:
Drinking Aperol Spritz at the Fairmont Lake Louise

Always waiting for construction... Nice place to be stuck in a queue

Being myself at Lake Louise

Spooky weather at Lake Louise

Not as spooky

Obligatory Lake Louise photos

Last edited:
More Sandra

I'm amazed at how different the Rockies are from the Coast Mountains in Vancouver.

Hello fishie!

Taking a picture of taking a picture

Last edited:
So, some updates. We're in Nelson, BC for 2 days and will explore the town. Nelson is a cultural hub for Canada, settled by miners in the 1800s and then a wave of Vietnam war draft dodgers from the US. But, before I get to that, how about more scenery?

Athabasca Glacier. It's tiny now compared to even just 30 years ago. :(

Kick down those rocks!

Views from the Icefields Parkway

I love the layers here

And another

More from the road

Elk spotting

Sun setting on our way back

Back