Dustin's Official 2015 Trip Report Thread

I am indeed in Green River for the night. It is absolutely a wasteland and I'm not sure if I'll even find any dinner here that is vegan friendly ;) No matter, I'm really happy to have a hot bath and a soft bed and some air conditioning.

I have been to Moab before but my route tomorrow takes me up to Grand Junction and then down highway 141 into Ouray

So let's catch up on the photos

Mt. Shasta on the way down to Doug's place

After I cleared Mt. Shasta, I headed to the I5 through Redding. It was hot, really hot. I was very thankful for Doug's pool and hospitality.

The next day we set off through the mountains and Doug gave me the tour of Donner Lake and Lake Tahoe. We rode together to Fallon, NV and then I continued east

On highway 722

Random cows on the road

Lake Tahoe

A storm brewing. I did get rained on for a short time but it was welcomed with open arms :)

Doug and the fog above Donner Lake

A pair of Hondas

I remember those views from last year's trip. If you like chocolates, Ice Cream and good coffee there is a shop on the same side as the Wright building about three blocks down the hill. The Ouray Brewery looks good though.

Today we all went for a ride down highway 550 with the hope of doing a loop back to Ouray. Unfortunately, we had to stop and turn around before Durango due to an accident involving two motorcycles and a car. Sad :( We turned around and rode north to Ridgway for lunch. I turned back for Ouray and everyone else continued up to a lookout.

Just a taste of the fun that awaited us on 550

There was a cool waterfall as you left Ouray

Many great views

The lone FZ

Silverton, Colorado

The group

An enormous gathering of Harleys

The Silverton courthouse

Silverton

The group

Mark approaches

John approaches. Sadly, my batteries died just as I tried to shoot Brenda

Red Mountain

Me!

The Ouray Brewery

More Ouray

Similar except for the number of wheels.

Video to come I presume, hey John.

Not with the tires I'm running in that pic, need to slap on some knobbies. We were at the top of Red Mountain Pass re-grouping after a quick run through the switchbacks, The jeeps pulled off and were heading for Black Bear Pass. Did you get to do that one on your trip here Lee? or is that one of the draws for you coming back?

Saturday was a perfect day for riding, on or off road. The weather gods definitely smiled on us. I've probably ridden that area a couple of dozen times now and I don't know if I have ever ridden up there during July/August (Colorado monsoon season) where I did not experience afternoon rain, or worse.

I'll have to make some extra effort to do some editing. Normally I take the footage, look at it, make a note to edit it after I go for another quick ride, and repeat.

Wish more could have made the trip, but it was great meeting Dustin and Mark. Lytehouse and I had a great time.

Last edited:
Back