Ecu west

I think you are missing the point of Ivan's ECU flash.
Ivan's tune is all about improving the every day ride-ability of the bike, not just looking for top end power gains.

No, Im not missing the point....I know exactly what my flash has done and its by far the best mod Ive spent my money on, bang for buck, it works!
I never mentioned top end gains but I did say its R1 fast, acceleration-wise, not top end.

Had money been no object and Customs and Excise taxes from Belgium been less strict about importing, Ivan may have done mine.
BUT, there are other options out there from well known tuners (my guy tunes BSB track bikes) with good reputations.

But I would be cautious of franchises like ECU unleashed, they seem to be using a 'standard' remap for all FZ1's and each of us has a different level of tune.

Hilltop Motorcycles in UK did mine if anyone is interested, I can highly reccommend his work.

Last edited:
Ivan's ECU flash is the only one I can give an opinion about. I have zero experience with any other flash. That said, the flash Ivan does was a major improvement to my FZ1. Having to use a PC with his flash adds cost, but provides additional tuning capability that I personally like having. The first map Ivan provided gave me better fuel mileage and smooth unrestricted power in gears 1-3. The 2nd map is a bit richer and the bike picks up a bit more grunt in the mid-range. It wheelies out of turns with the new map, fuel mileage goes back to pre flash levels.

Is it worth it to send your ECU to New York? Knowing what I have experienced with Ivan and his products/services, the answer for me would be yes. He personally owns an FZ1 and test his mods in the real world and the dyno. I trust him. My cost was a bit less as I already had a PC3.

I've intentionally stayed out of this as it becomes a "rope pissing contest." Think about it....

Personally, I don't understand why Ivan didn't address the fuel issues. It can be done, has been done. To me it is a cop out, but it is his business, and his call.

As I've stated several times, many times, before...at AF1 Racing we looked at the CO% (AFR for you DynoJet people), and there were NO gains to be made with the flash I got. One or two points of trim here and there, nothing worth bothering with.

The main thing to remember with the flash is that it isn't about peak HP, honestly who cares? It's about ridability. 2 more peak HP doesn't matter if the midrange isn't fat, and the throttle isn't smooth.

Oh, and I don't care about dots on an X, Y chart either. All I care about is how the bike rides. And my bike was ridden by several people with both ECUs, flashed and non-flashed, and they thought the flashed was spot on. And this was by people who hold world records in their respective moto part of the world.

Lastly on customer service, I was the very first person to flash an '06 ECU. Begin a pioneer is not without it's pain, but now it is done. Those of you who know me, know I like to trail-blazer and not be a clone.

But, each man or woman to their own. :)

:deadhorse: me beating the dead horse...we lead it to the water hole gave it a glass put it in its hand....but it wouldn't drink..it heard the water was to good .lol

Go start your own Ivan fanboy thread, I'm looking for actual helpful responses, of which you haven't provided any.

Last edited:
I am sure Ivan`s flash is great if you want to do other mods to your bike exhaust etc. I personally like to keep my bike stock except for comfort for my aging body:(.The Cop`s in Aussie at the moment are doing raids on aftermarket exhaust`s , tail tidy`s etc. But saying that I still would like to buy a flash to smooth out the throttle and for a little more low/mid range power. If I could flash the ECU only, using Ivans I would, but don`t want the expense of adding a pc5 exhaust etc and worrying about the Cop`s putting me off the road.

Ivan's ECU flash is the only one I can give an opinion about. I have zero experience with any other flash. That said, the flash Ivan does was a major improvement to my FZ1. Having to use a PC with his flash adds cost, but provides additional tuning capability that I personally like having. The first map Ivan provided gave me better fuel mileage and smooth unrestricted power in gears 1-3. The 2nd map is a bit richer and the bike picks up a bit more grunt in the mid-range. It wheelies out of turns with the new map, fuel mileage goes back to pre flash levels.

Is it worth it to send your ECU to New York? Knowing what I have experienced with Ivan and his products/services, the answer for me would be yes. He personally owns an FZ1 and test his mods in the real world and the dyno. I trust him. My cost was a bit less as I already had a PC3.

I am sure Ivan`s flash is great if you want to do other mods to your bike exhaust etc. I personally like to keep my bike stock except for comfort for my aging body:(.The Cop`s in Aussie at the moment are doing raids on aftermarket exhaust`s , tail tidy`s etc. But saying that I still would like to buy a flash to smooth out the throttle and for a little more low/mid range power. If I could flash the ECU only, using Ivans I would, but don`t want the expense of adding a pc5 exhaust etc and worrying about the Cop`s putting me off the road.
Do not worry I will no longer offer any help

Last edited:

I understand. I modded my bike over a couple years. I already had Ivan's FCE and a PC3 running his pre-flash maps. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Did you personally call him?? lol he said she said will get you no place.. good luck..
I am sure Ivan would be reading these post`s, and if things have changed I would be very interested.I am in no hurry to do a flash if I get it done at all,Australia like England,USA etc have many different people so it`s silly to believe we all have the same belief`s and view`s, so if you come to Aussie with a open mind you will love it.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't understand why Ivan didn't address the fuel issues. It can be done, has been done. To me it is a cop out, but it is his business, and his call.

I'm pretty sure Ivan went with the PCV/PCIII because of so many different possible configurations. Exhausts, air-filters, stacks, airbox mods, TPS calibration and so on. The PCV/PCIII gives you the option to tune correctly for all different configurations.
Fueling done with a flash would have to be specific to 1 configuration or they would have to offer hundreds of different flashes to match every possible setup.
Ivan tends to keep fiddling with the maps and offering maps for different setups. That's real easy 'to do with the PCV/PCIII.
Much better then mailing your ECU every time.

I'm sure if EVERYONE ran the exact same setup Ivan would just do the fueling in the flash.

One other thing that Ivan did was set a standard for the TPS calibration. I have not seen or heard of any other tuners mention this for the FZ1.
Easy to set it with a PCV/PCIII.
If using a flash from another company how would you be sure your TPS is calibrated the same as the bike they used to develop the flash ?????
That may partially explain why some have great results with flashes other than Ivans and some don't, without a standard TPS setting its like throwing darts in the dark and hoping for a good result.

I'm pretty sure Ivan went with the PCV/PCIII because of so many different possible configurations. Exhausts, air-filters, stacks, airbox mods, TPS calibration and so on. The PCV/PCIII gives you the option to tune correctly for all different configurations.
Fueling done with a flash would have to be specific to 1 configuration or they would have to offer hundreds of different flashes to match every possible setup.
Ivan tends to keep fiddling with the maps and offering maps for different setups. That's real easy 'to do with the PCV/PCIII.
Much better then mailing your ECU every time.

I'm sure if EVERYONE ran the exact same setup Ivan would just do the fueling in the flash.

One other thing that Ivan did was set a standard for the TPS calibration. I have not seen or heard of any other tuners mention this for the FZ1.
Easy to set it with a PCV/PCIII.
If using a flash from another company how would you be sure your TPS is calibrated the same as the bike they used to develop the flash ?????
That may partially explain why some have great results with flashes other than Ivans and some don't, without a standard TPS setting its like throwing darts in the dark and hoping for a good result.
Yes I understand why Ivan uses the pc3-5 to suit all the different set up`s,but it would be good to get a ECU done to suit a stock bike.The market may not be big enough too worry about it. I personally are not interested in mucking around with maps,block off,exhausts etc but understand why a lot of people go this way its just a matter of preferences

Yes I understand why Ivan uses the pc3-5 to suit all the different set up`s,but it would be good to get a ECU done to suit a stock bike.The market may not be big enough too worry about it. I personally are not interested in mucking around with maps,block off,exhausts etc but understand why a lot of people go this way its just a matter of preferences

I'm sure 99% are doing exhaust and other mods before they do a flash. So like you said the market for Flashing an other wise totally stock bike is pretty much nonexistent.

Back