Ecu west

One other thing that Ivan did was set a standard for the TPS calibration. I have not seen or heard of any other tuners mention this for the FZ1.
Easy to set it with a PCV/PCIII.
If using a flash from another company how would you be sure your TPS is calibrated the same as the bike they used to develop the flash ?????
That may partially explain why some have great results with flashes other than Ivans and some don't, without a standard TPS setting its like throwing darts in the dark and hoping for a good result.

That's actually a damn good point. Cheers again super googan, just the kind of info I need in order to ask the right questions of whichever tuner I go with. :cheers:

I think you can go with any flash and see a great improvement. The key things being fixed are timing restrictions in lower gears and removing fuel cut. Those right there will give you a great bang for the buck.

If you have the money for a PC3/5 or already own one, then going with Ivan's flash is a no-brainer. Ivan has already sent 2 (or more?) new versions of his map to his customers which are were modified based on customer feedback. Having the ability to send new maps to customers means that he can experiment a bit more with his maps in his quest for ultimate smoothness and driveability.

A flash like ecu unleashed will likely be a bit more conservative, since pulling the ECU out and sending it for a reflash when there is a new version doesn't make sense for either the owner, nor the company doing the flash.

I think it's also worth noting that companies that do flashes for 100 different bike models will put less effort into one specific bike than someone doing flashes for one or two bike models.

That's actually a damn good point. Cheers again super googan, just the kind of info I need in order to ask the right questions of whichever tuner I go with. :cheers:

I think Ivan's focus on the TPS adjustment is because his flash+map puts a lot of emphasis on throttle on/off transitions, where you have a very small throttle openings. You really have to ride a bike with his flash to see how smooth he managed to get this - it's incredible. But it also requires very precise readings from the TPS, otherwise you can end up with poor mileage and less-than-ideal smoothness (although still MUCH better than stock). This really goes to show how much of a perfectionist he is when it comes to making the FZ1 a pleasure to ride.

If I see one more disrespectful post by anyone in this thread I will pull out Thors hammer!

We always treat each other with respect here. That is the wish of the owner of this site and the wish of the vast majority of our members.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. No one has to agree with each other. We must, however, be respectful of each other.

I'm pretty sure Ivan went with the PCV/PCIII because of so many different possible configurations. Exhausts, air-filters, stacks, airbox mods, TPS calibration and so on. The PCV/PCIII gives you the option to tune correctly for all different configurations.
Fueling done with a flash would have to be specific to 1 configuration or they would have to offer hundreds of different flashes to match every possible setup.
Ivan tends to keep fiddling with the maps and offering maps for different setups. That's real easy 'to do with the PCV/PCIII.
Much better then mailing your ECU every time.

I'm sure if EVERYONE ran the exact same setup Ivan would just do the fueling in the flash.

One other thing that Ivan did was set a standard for the TPS calibration. I have not seen or heard of any other tuners mention this for the FZ1.
Easy to set it with a PCV/PCIII.
If using a flash from another company how would you be sure your TPS is calibrated the same as the bike they used to develop the flash ?????
That may partially explain why some have great results with flashes other than Ivans and some don't, without a standard TPS setting its like throwing darts in the dark and hoping for a good result.

I hear what you are saying, however the "other" places ask what mods you've done so they can provide the "right" flash.

Hold on, wait....count to 10....deep breath...:poke:

This is not different than what Ivan is doing. The difference is he is providing a "base flash" map for a PC vs. adjusting the fuel tables on the ECU to correct for factory misgivings, and the other changes to the flash; secondaries, timing, restrictions, motor braking, etc., etc. However with a "total" flash you don't need to use a PC.

It all depends on how one approaches the stock ECU problem.

I will not comment further on this topic to protect the innocent and the guilty.

Last edited:
I hear what you are saying, however the "other" places ask what mods you've done so they can provide the "right" flash.

Hold on, wait....count to 10....deep breath...:poke:

This is not different than what Ivan is doing. The difference is he is providing a "base flash" map for a PC vs. adjusting the fuel tables on the ECU to correct for factory misgivings, and the other changes to the flash; secondaries, timing, restrictions, motor braking, etc., etc. However with a "total" flash you don't need to use a PC.

It all depends on how one approaches the stock ECU problem.

I will not comment further on this topic to protect the innocent and the guilty.

The only issue I see is that I highly doubt that they have an optimized map test ridden by the tuner for every configuration of mods. The thing is, even if they don't nail it with the canned flash, you can add a PC later.

For what its worth, I have an ECUWest Set up and a PCV. I had the PCV before having the ecu reflashed, so figured I may as well use it.
Ivans ecu was not available when I got my ECUwset reflash.

I ran a series of dyno runs:

The first dyno run was off the reflashed ecu only and no PCV. The bike produced 137.2HP

The second run was the reflashed ecu and the piggyback PCV set up. The bike produced 138.9HP

its fair to say there is only a negligible difference in power (results are very close). The only real difference between the 2 dyno runs was the air fuel ratios. The AFR results running the reflashed ecu were OK, the fueling was still good (acceptable tolerances),
but running reflashed ecu and the PCV together allowed some finer tuning, which resulted in better AFR results. (good luck to anyone that can pick 2HP difference)

That was basically the only difference with running a PCV with the ECUwest together.

As far as the reflash goes, from my experience, it is the best mod I ever done!

I don't think its about ECUwest or Ivans.......the removal of 1-3rd gear restrictions, ignition remap and removal of fuel cut which is given by either tuners, make a great improvement to the riding experience of the bike!

My personal opinion, and if I was starting from scratch, I would be going Ivans ECU (because of his reputation and intimate experience with the FZ1) and the PCV piggyback set up allowing fine fuel tuning, only because im a fussy prick lol.

Back