Exhaust help

That would be awesome! I want it tuned for the best possible MPG under 6.5k and then nothing but gas guzzling performance above 7k. Then I will be able to tour with a bit of extended MPG and crank it in the twisties as it should be. Think that is possible?

Don't see why not. It's only a matter of leaning out the 5-20% throttle tables in the under 6.5k RPM range w/o causing any drivability issues. Not sure how easy it would be to do that on a dyno though...The full throttle part is always easy, but the part throttle can be tricky. I think it would be a lot of trial and error to get it right.

;) Trial is Ok. It's the "error" part that concerns me... too lean and I could burn a valve, piston or both. Good plan to bring it to a pro I think. Once they get the bike tuned, I can then toy with their map if I want.... small adjustments of course!

heres an awesome exhaust, the yoshimura trc carbon makes the fz1 sound like a beast in this youtube clip.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcoz5mjmm-I]YouTube - Yamaha FZ1 Naked with Yoshimura TRC Full Exhaust System - OEM VS YOSHI[/ame]

Last edited:
I will guess that you are in your late teens or early twenties and mistake a lot of noise for performance. You'll see several cans on this site that people like such as MIVV, Akrapovic, Two Brothers etc,etc. If you want to set up correctly you'll need a pipe/can, PCIII or PCV and probably some time on a dyno if you really want to make sure you're getting the most out of your money spent. Be ware, some pipes can be really loud and if you want to give the local boys in blue a good reason to pull you over and ticket you, run one. Other wise, be smart take your time and get something you and your neighbors can live with. One reason most young people spend a lot more on insurance than the more experienced riders do is because we've already made the mistakes your are about to. Finally, plan to spend a grand for a good can and PCIII. If you don't have that, leave it stock for a while to get used to the new bike, it's not like you'll be out-riding it in it's stock condition.
:2cents:

Not a young guy here, but just wanted to get a nice sounding exhaust and I enjoy the loudness. Thats all. Thanks for the advice on the PCIII though.

There's always the ability to cut any can in size. I've seen pics of the Yoshi and the Akrapovic both cut down and one site even has his how-to up.

The Two Bros is not too long at all and has plenty of sound (DEEP BASS) without being overly annoying. I really like the Two Bros can. 4.1 lbs as opposed to 15.8 lbs of what I took off.

Thanks for the info, I have been really considering the Yoshi TRC, but I am not too fond of how long it is, I wish I could find the TRC in a short model. Any ideas?

Well just remember that the TRC w/o the insert is pretty loud so any shorter and it will be even LOUDER! Depends on what you're looking for I guess, but as FZ1inNH said you can cut it down yourself. Just need to remove the rivets and open up the muffler so you can make some clean cuts...

Back