FINALLY!!!! After almost 2 years of looking!! I found one!!!!

She is a little rough - clearly needs a paint job but I can do that :D
Plus she is located in the UK so shipping will be about a month and I'm sure I will get tagged with that stupid tax but I think it was worth it. I have been looking for almost 2 full years for one of these. :bowdown:
She was listed for about 3 hours when I grabbed

I would like to introduce all of you to the newest upgrade to my FZ1....................... My new (to me) Micron GP (Serpent) Slip On.

MotorcycleMicronSerpent.jpg

This is going to be a little bit of a project. Some of you know me so you know I drive a Gen 1. I thought I would address this right up front:
I will not lie - I love this slip on based mostly on looks. I think this is one of the slickest upgrades that any FZ1 owner can do so I suppose that is kind of selfish because it's based on looks instead of performance. However, Micron was a quality company and I think they produced some excellent products so I'm not shying away from this.
The whole Gen 1 vs Gen 2 thing got me at first. In fact, I was really bummed when I saw that these were only built for Gen 2's. I always wondered "What if?" That started the wheels in motion and made me start thinking - LOL - Sometimes a dangerous thing for me :nana:. I'm operating of a general principle: The main purpose of the exhaust is to expell the engine's gas' from the crankcase and the more quickly and efficiently that is done - the better the performance.
In order to prevent any performance decline or more importantly any engine damage - I plan on removing the end cone and removing a little metal. This will probably be drilling holes to allow more gas to be processed. I'm doing this to error on the side of caution. My thinking is that if this slip on is too restrictive = THAT IS TROUBLE. If I allow more air out = probably boost performance a little. Even if it does not improve performance - I am reasoning that it will prevent any type of damage that being too restrictive might cause.
Since a muffler is a noise reducing piece of equipment - I am betting that the Gen 1 and Gen 2 are close enough that this will be a reasonable crossover. I am theorizing and I know that. However, I think it will work and work very well. I do not see any danger in allowing a little more engine gas to be expelled from the crankcase. I have seen seen slip ons modified in numerous ways. People cut them, shorten them, remove internals (either partially or fully) so I'm hoping that this will be a good mod. I HAVE EVEN THOUGHT OF finding a banged up Gen 1 muffler and removing the internals. Hollowing out my new Micron and doing a transplant. I just think that there are a lot of options to making this work.
I also think I'm going to have to modify that adapter pipe that is included. I will probably need to cut it, angle it or fab another one. That does not scare me and frankly I do not think that will be all that difficult. LOL Famous last words right? :D This is a gamble but it's a gamble that I'm willing to take. I will start a build thread on it when I receive it. I plan on sanding and painting the outside to give this baby a much needed facelift. I am really looking forward to taking it apart and seeing the insides. If it looks like a bad idea or it seems to have any problems with performance - I will simply sell it. I really think this thing will sell without any problems. Especially with a fresh coat of paint.
See you guys on the build thread :D

Last edited:
I bet that will look very unique on your Gen I! I wouldn't go crazy modifying the Micron just yet. The Gen I FZ1 doesn't gain a whole lot of power from just a slip-on so I'm sure this slip-on will flow enough in it's current state.

Just bolt it on in place of the current muffler and have a local muffler shop bend a piece of pipe for you to use as the link pipe. I bet you can even get a ss one at a reasonable price.

Looking forward to pics of the finished project.

I bet that will look very unique on your Gen I! I wouldn't go crazy modifying the Micron just yet. The Gen I FZ1 doesn't gain a whole lot of power from just a slip-on so I'm sure this slip-on will flow enough in it's current state.

Just bolt it on in place of the current muffler and have a local muffler shop bend a piece of pipe for you to use as the link pipe. I bet you can even get a ss one at a reasonable price.

Looking forward to pics of the finished project.

LOL
You do know me :D
No going crazy here. If I do any modifying - I will just take a little off the top.
I am looking forward to taking this thing apart and seeing what the internals look like. I have really enjoyed reading on another website called Customfightersdotcom. One of the threads showed a step by step of a guy cutting his slip on and reducing the length. It was really well done and very informative. In fact - I would like to duplicate that thread over here. Anyway - when I saw the what is inside these things it actually made me think of the difference between a Gen 1 and Gen 2. I really think these things can be modded easily. LOL Again - famous last words ;)
My current slip on is an M4. I wasn't sure I liked it at first but now I have gotten used to that deep, aggressive sound of the M4 so if the Micron does not match that (I think it probably will) I will remove some of the packing to make it sound a little more aggressive.
IDK - I'm really looking forward to a build project. I kind of have the itch if you know what I mean?

While I have never heard the Micron in person, just based on the size of it I'm going to say that it wont be too quiet, even in it's current form...lol

Gratz on the find and I hope you get it bolted on soon so we can see the pics

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys!
I am really excited!!! I have been looking so long and it feels SSSSOOOO good to finally find it! :D I am also really anxious to see how this particular slip on looks on a Gen 1. I'm sure someone has already done it but I like that "Unusual" factor on my bike. LOL In fact, I have been looking so long that I had gotten used to my M4 and didn't really think Micron anymore.

MotorcycleMicronSerpent.jpg

In order to prevent any performance decline or more importantly any engine damage - I plan on removing the end cone and removing a little metal. This will probably be drilling holes to allow more gas to be processed. I'm doing this to error on the side of caution. My thinking is that if this slip on is too restrictive = THAT IS TROUBLE. If I allow more air out = probably boost performance a little. Even if it does not improve performance - I am reasoning that it will prevent any type of damage that being too restrictive might cause.
Since a muffler is a noise reducing piece of equipment - I am betting that the Gen 1 and Gen 2 are close enough that this will be a reasonable crossover. I am theorizing and I know that. However, I think it will work and work very well. I do not see any danger in allowing a little more engine gas to be expelled from the crankcase. I have seen seen slip ons modified in numerous ways. People cut them, shorten them, remove internals (either partially or fully) so I'm hoping that this will be a good mod. I HAVE EVEN THOUGHT OF finding a banged up Gen 1 muffler and removing the internals. Hollowing out my new Micron and doing a transplant. I just think that there are a lot of options to making this work.

I'm not realy following your intended mods here. This is a glass pack right?
What are you planning to drill holes in that would reduce back presure? There should be no baffles in this muffler. Why would you think that it would be more restrictive then the stock bafled muffler? too much backpressure will not damage an engine. Too litle backpressure without propper jetting can cause a lean condition. If you are replacing a stock baffled muffler with this glass pack I suspect back pressure will be less, but being just a slip on not significantly less.

Thanks guys - I'm really excited.
WT - I agree that these things sound good stock. I heard Arvind's Micron when we were in Arkansas and it sounded really good. I had seen a few of these and thought they looked great but then . Then when I heard this in Arkansas I knew I really wanted one.
It is an awesome feeling to be looking for so long and then finally find what you are looking for :D

What are you planning to drill holes in that would reduce back presure? There should be no baffles in this muffler. Why would you think that it would be more restrictive then the stock bafled muffler? too much backpressure will not damage an engine. Too litle backpressure without propper jetting can cause a lean condition. If you are replacing a stock baffled muffler with this glass pack I suspect back pressure will be less, but being just a slip on not significantly less.

I'm not sure you read all my posts?
I said a couple of times that I do not know what is in this muffler but I plan on looking. If there is some type of baffle - I'm talking about letting a little more air through - NOT coring the whole thing. If it is glass pack (like the link I posted inside the thread) I will take a little of the packing out. Not a lot - just a little.
So here is my basic thinking - I am more afraid of too much restriction than I am too little back pressure. Again - this is to error on the side of caution because I'm going to attempt to fix a piece of equipment to my bike that was designed for ANOTHER bike. Although they are close - they are not the same.
I didn't put too much into this thread and I was going to tackle this in the build thread but I might as well do it now since you brought it up:
1st Step: I will disassemble the muffler. I need to see what is inside so I can make an evaluation as to how restrictive it is.
2nd Step: Paint. This thing will greatly benefit from a paint job and I think it will make it look great.
3rd Step: I will play around with performance. My bike is my everyday driver so I am pretty familiar with it's performance. It's my responsibility to figure out if this thing is running too lean or bogging down, etc. I will have to put it on the bike and ride with it. There is simply no other way to know.
That's about it. Three simple steps. I don't think this will be that hard but I do want to make sure that I cover all my bases because I'm attempting to put fit a piece of equipment that has been tuned for another model - not mine.

Last edited:

there is a baffle for this exhaust, provided it's E-marked..

with the baffle removed, you can fit in a can of soda with room still to spare.. :p

same pipe same colour? you got a ready buyer here! :Rockon:

There's pictures of my bike on here, look up my stated threads. Its black, not all fucked up though. still looking for a replacement at this moment. Not sure what to ask for it either. Guess now I need to do some research.

Sent via SkyRocket™ using TapaTalk.

Back