Finally...another bike for DenArnold

ABS was definitely off, but I was braking first on gravel and then ended up braking on grass...which I slipped through and could not avoid tipping over the edge

overdue maintenance

Well I reckon it was finally time to have a closer look and do some maintenance on my new black little Tiger. She has given me much fun over the past year, both on road as off road. She sendured lots of dirt and some dropps, one flat tire, a bent gear-pedal and now some issues with her idling.

So I took some wrenchtime and removed the fueltank (not before I removed a lot of plastic covers) and the airbox. Noticed (not to my surprise) a dirty airfilter, dust on the TPS and throthle cable (couls this cause the idle issue?) and lot's of dirt on top of engine...so also took her out for a proper cleaning (not after I taped off the flies and electric connectors)

On order a new K&N Airfilter
To do; replace rear brake pad, adjust chain slack, get the bike into the dealer to check the TPS-steppenmotor or TCU

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0484.jpg
    IMG_0484.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 55
Well I reckon it was finally time to have a closer look and do some maintenance on my new black little Tiger. She has given me much fun over the past year, both on road as off road. She sendured lots of dirt and some dropps, one flat tire, a bent gear-pedal and now some issues with her idling.

So I took some wrenchtime and removed the fueltank (not before I removed a lot of plastic covers) and the airbox. Noticed (not to my surprise) a dirty airfilter, dust on the TPS and throthle cable (couls this cause the idle issue?) and lot's of dirt on top of engine...so also took her out for a proper cleaning (not after I taped off the flies and electric connectors)

On order a new K&N Airfilter
To do; replace rear brake pad, adjust chain slack, get the bike into the dealer to check the TPS-steppenmotor or TCU

I had that cursed idle issue. From everything I have read we will have that issue every so often. Was a combination of three things. Stepper motor being gummed up (they do not lube the shaft at the factory), throttle bodies way out of sync and fouled spark plugs. Never would have guessed I would need plugs after 9,0000 miles.

Under warranty TPS has been replaced and mapping refreshed. Also installed "warm" sparkplugs NGK CR8EK. These should improve the way the engine behaves in urban and offroad mode.
Next weeks will attempt to replace myself the tires. Got the Michelin Anakee 3 ready to be mounted. And will order some heated grips to keep the inside of the hands warm...

Have been cruising and came across this 105mm Selfpropelled Howitzer, called St Barbara. This was taken at the former Belgian military barracks of the 18RA (Artillerie) where I served my army duties

Attachments

• tigerhow.jpg
    tigerhow.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 62
I discovered my right front suspension seals are leaking on my little black tiger (and this after just 10k km) . I am taking the opportunity to replace the springs (OEM too soft) with Hyperpro Progressive springs and have the cartridge adapted to have a more suitable (for my riding style) setting in next coming weeks.
Also got me a second front fender, which I intend to paint to match the colours of the riding school I teach basic dirtriding for allroads.

Installed heated grips recently too.

New Hyperpro progressive springs installed and also adjusted the shims. The front suspension is a bit stiffer now and smoother in the rebound.
Also had some neopreen socks mounted while the forks were removed, this to have some more protection against dirt etc on the seals.
And while I was busy, purchased and mounted 20mm bar risers

Attachments

• IMG_1090.jpg
    IMG_1090.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1098.jpg
    IMG_1098.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1097.jpg
    IMG_1097.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1096.jpg
    IMG_1096.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1100.jpg
    IMG_1100.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 58
How do you like the new mirrors so far? The risers are mild but must make control while standing better. The fork skins will help, but if you run in muddy conditions they can also hold dirt in so keep that in mind. One of these comes in handy to clean out the cause of minor leaks.

![/url]
The 20mm risers are indeed mild, no immediate impact on your arms positionwhile riding street, but when offroad standing up I noticed less impact on my shoulders. So definitley worth the purchase.
And yes these mirrors are great. Going offroad I tend to close one in and only use one if needed
Thanks for the Fork Sealer tip.
Already been looking for alternative socks wich can be easily removed, by means of velcro. Alternative is I cut these open and stich some velcro bands in it...

went for a ride some time ago in the region near Waterloo

Attachments

• IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1556.jpg
    IMG_1556.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1560.jpg
    IMG_1560.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1559.jpg
    IMG_1559.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1557.jpg
    IMG_1557.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1558.jpg
    IMG_1558.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1489.jpg
    IMG_1489.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1487.jpg
    IMG_1487.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1486.jpg
    IMG_1486.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1483.jpg
    IMG_1483.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
and another day of getting her to places where she's designed for

One the way to Bastogne

Remembering the BAttle of the Bulge, at La Roche

Going dirty

crossroads

U-turn

Muddy waters

The stuff toothpicks are made off

Through the fields

into the bush

and hitting the slippery mud (The Anakees did relative good there, with the necessary slipping and sliding)

End Destination Bastogne War Memorial

Managed to get some more kilometers onthe bike, but mostly paved roads. Last week we went to our annual Allroad Endurofun day. So I mounted TKC80s for the challenge. Despite the rain the past weeks prior to the actual riding day, it was already pretty dry (with exception of a few mud puddles) so I could have done the route perfectly with the Anakees

Anyway some pictures to give an idea. Also had the bad luck to pick up a marble plinter on the road, which was long enough to puncture trough the nob the innertube. So had to drive back on a flat tire to the nearest garage to have it repaired.

Attachments

• IMG_3109.jpg
    IMG_3109.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3110.jpg
    IMG_3110.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3114.jpg
    IMG_3114.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3115.jpg
    IMG_3115.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3116.jpg
    IMG_3116.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3118.jpg
    IMG_3118.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3120.jpg
    IMG_3120.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 42
Managed to get some more kilometers onthe bike, but mostly paved roads. Last week we went to our annual Allroad Endurofun day. So I mounted TKC80s for the challenge. Despite the rain the past weeks prior to the actual riding day, it was already pretty dry (with exception of a few mud puddles) so I could have done the route perfectly with the Anakees

Anyway some pictures to give an idea. Also had the bad luck to pick up a marble plinter on the road, which was long enough to puncture trough the nob the innertube. So had to drive back on a flat tire to the nearest garage to have it repaired.

One of the skills of riding dual-sport is doing tire repairs. It is a pain (in the fingers) but sometimes you won't have the option of a garage for repair. Having a patch kit and spare tube/s is something I always carry. The first time was stressful, but now I don't worry about it. Tire irons, a tube (Front size), tire lube (most tire shops will give you some if you bring in a small container to fill) and a small bicycle pump is all you need. A rag or wet-wipes to clean your hands are a good Idea to. The TKC is an easy tire to change as the side walls are nice and flexible and to break the bead on the rear a short ride on the flat will do it. Usually by the time you notice the flat the tire has come off of at least one bead and that is all you need. A boot heel will do the rest. As a temporary fix a front tube can be used in the rear to get you to civilization. I usually only carry a front tube (standard 2mil) on short day trips, and both a front and rear on long trips. I run ultra-heavy-duty (6mil) tubes front and back and that stone probably wouldn't have gone through. Contrary to what some say, the UHD tubes have never given me issues even when running all day on high speed pavement and have saved me a few pinch flats and puncture flats over the years. They are too bulky to carry as spares though.

Tire3.jpg

No need to fully remove the tire for a patch (unless your patch glue has dried out) Tip; put a new tube of glue in your kit every season.

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

Big nail killed an UHD Tube.

By the way, how do you like the TKC's? They are a favorite 50/50 tire of mine, and I always end up coming back to using the front one, regardless of what I put on the rear. The rear TKC-80 just doesn't last enough on the 990 and is too pricey as a result.

Last edited:
early Xmas present

Early Xmas present from the missus: a mint condition second hand steel rear Wheel rim, including brakedisc and abs ring. This will soon carry my streettire Anakee3.
So it will be plug and play to change my Tiger from a streetbike to an Offroad bike...the nobbie-tire remains on the spoked rim.
The front Wheel I may have a chance to buy a slightly damaged 19" steel rim (will have to wait how the repairs went)

Attachments

• IMG_3466.jpg
    IMG_3466.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 44
By the way, how do you like the TKC's? They are a favorite 50/50 tire of mine, and I always end up coming back to using the front one, regardless of what I put on the rear. The rear TKC-80 just doesn't last enough on the 990 and is too pricey as a result.

At first it does need to get used to ride these on street.
So far experience is pretty good where I still need to grasp the idea on riding on lower pressures.
What pressures do you maintain on dirt roads?

At first it does need to get used to ride these on street.
So far experience is pretty good where I still need to grasp the idea on riding on lower pressures.
What pressures do you maintain on dirt roads?

I tried airing down on gravel and dirt (by almost 10 psi)and found that it was hard to tell a difference, except that the rim took many more hits (that you could feel). Without rim-locks the tire could also slip, risking a valve stem being ripped off. This is something that a heavy dual-sport bike would be more prone to, so I stopped airing down, running the same pressure, street or trail. It forces you to improve your bike and throttle control and after a time you don't even think about it anymore.

Over here the terrain is very Rocky, so I ride gravel and rock more often than dirt. Lowering tire pressure has more hazards than benefits in those conditions.

IMG_0091.jpg

Gettingstoned.jpg

Capture.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Capture3.jpg

I do notice that the best tire for this (so far) is the Mitas E-07 on the rear. It has good performance both off and on road, running at 38 psi. I run a E-09 Mitas on the front, for now, but plan on going back to a Continental TKC-80 for next season. I run 30 psi all the time in the front tire for best lifespan and performance.

Light dirt-only machines will benefit from reduced pressures far more without the problems that the heavier machines have doing so.

Last edited:
Almost completed my quest for "doubling" my Black Tiger.
I have embarked the challenging quest to find a complete set of rims, including brakediscs. After several searches (thank you internet!) I have now in da house

1 complete alu casted 17" rear rim with brake discs, abs ring and rear sprocket included (obviously I change each time the current used sprocket)

1 in good condition (after repair) a alu casted 19" front rim, with separately purchased good set of brakediscs and bolts. Missing still a front ABS ring

Having looked at the new prices for original rims (around 1200€ each complete Wheel) I have now (almost) a complete set of wheels for less than 600€.

With having that set nearly in place, it'll be a 30' job to transfer the Tiger from a Streetbike to an Offroad bike....

Attachments

• IMG_3466.jpg
    IMG_3466.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 45
Abnormal wear and tear:

At 15k km, I found myself about 50km from home, the gear stuck in first. Unable to even manually switch gear to neutral or other. So I found myself cruising in 1st gear at low speed back to home and calling my dealer to pick it up for repair.
It revealed that the connection shaft, which connects the gear pedal to the clutch, was abnormally worn.
Lucky it was agreed by Triumph Belgium to have it repaired under warranty...

Attachments

• IMG_3551.jpg
    IMG_3551.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3552.jpg
    IMG_3552.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3553.jpg
    IMG_3553.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3554.jpg
    IMG_3554.jpg