First Performance Mods

I didn't realize there was such a price difference. Is there any way to retain the center stand if you put on the full exhaust? When I am Camping it comes in too handy to give up. I did without for too long and now I am spoiled.

I believe most full exhausts will work with the center stand. I chose to remove mine when I did the exhaust, but I could have left it on.

Not at all. I will definitely do this when I get in to more expensive mods like exhaust. Power Commander is on my X-Mas wish list. If I end up getting any kind of bonus this year I will get an exhaust and get everything tuned in.

If it sucks without the PC I will definitely let you all know. I have made similar modifications on previous bikes without a Power Commander and without any issues.

I would definitely like to hear everyone's thoughts though.

As an FYI, I have done the airbox mod, de-screened the stock air filter and put on a Two Bros slip-on. I have also blocked the AIS tube. The bike is not running as lean as some suggested. It's running the same lean as the factory shipped it. :tup:

I fully intend to get a PC V and get it tuned, but I'm not concerned about the way it is running right now.

I am going to pull the sub-throttle plates and mod them myself. Since it is winter and the bike will be put away soon, it's a great time to start taking it apart and modding/cleaning. :D

i think the sub throttle plates are what is causing the biggest risk of your motor running lean due to the large increase in air at lower rpm's. Can the computer compensate for that? i dont know if it is able to compensate that much! removing the flies makes the power hit much harder (not as smooth of a progression) almost like a 2 stroke. the smaller plates increase velocity when closed and help with a better transition into power. much smoother. if i remember correctly lars tried many different cutouts for the airbox and i believe he was taking into account resonance and flow.

I have an '06fz1 and just did the airbox mod (kept the lil front flap/guard, looks to be for anti-rain inhalation, imho), gutted the cat, and cut down the stock sub-throttle flies to 1.5''..(stock muffler, meh, i like the looks of the thing) uhmm, it idles, but, bogs out REALLY BAD if you dont roll on the throttle with ease.. and doesnt sound clean until 7k. way too much air. way too lean without a pc3. just did it last saturday, dont currently have the scratch to get the pc3, so, i went down to my yamaha shop and tried to order some stock sub throttle plates...they told me ''no deals'', they dont sell em. period. hafta buy the whole 1400.00 intake in order to obtain em , or make em myself out of stock metal. any one know where i can get stock plates? seeing i cut them down like an idiot. lol anyhow, its WAY too lean. so much so, im kinda hesitant taking her out for fear of burning her up...must get stock plates, or invest in a power commander. thanx for listening...

I have the modded air box K&N air filter, modded sub-throttle plates, AIS totally removed and a Two Bros can. I did not gut the cat. I have no issues with it bogging at all in any RPM. No Power Commander at all...

Something else seems to be wrong here unless the gutted CAT on your bike released all the back pressure. I've not gutted the CAT because I do not have a PC yet.

Pinched fuel line. you may have to do blind spots fuel line mod. Which entails purchasing some 6mm rubber fuel line and some fuel injection quality clamps and replacing the stock plastic line. Costs like 5 bucks.

duh, the fuel line may me clamped off, seeing i still have the tank ''sticked up''..its very cold here, so, working in my basement..door open so as to not get much exhaust into the house..sorry, im not a jet guy..thanx..youve headed me into a new simple direction...the stock pipe looks to be black/rich in stock form anyway...i really didnt think it would be too much air, but it sure seemed that way given the current configuration..>>also, this just might be a case of duh. .A NEW HOPE HAS BEEN AWARDED... trying it with tank down and better time schedules..ive created my own problem. thanx guys..i hope this is the problem. learning to navigate this forum, i reaalllyy dont want to go into the maps..i like the throttle snatch as you all call it..

Its really common these stock fuel lines are crap. I did the fuel line when I did my mods. Mine was kinked just from lifting the tank. Its hard to visually tell because there is a outer sheath.

ill start her up with the tank down, and lines all flush as best i can..see if if it still bogs...the ol lady wont like it, but, if it keeps me from shelling out 300 bucks she will purr..lol. imma try it in ten minutes..Man, if its true.. and the bike shines...imma be pure happy.:unworthy:

hahaha, it worked..it was pinched off bigger than a labrador eating a sponge..it was all me..i worried myself to death over nothing. tank down, she growled like a demon, seriously folks..thanks for a simple fix, something i didnt think about, being soooo zeroed in on something else. i was wrong in thinking i knew a lot...still need that ''rain guard'' though on the intake box , in front of the snorkel

Back