Fork springs replacement

firefly

I need to replace my stock springs with stiffer ones, probably racetech, do I need to remove the forks off the bike to replace the springs?
Thanks

Yes, you do. You'll want to replace the fork oil when doing this and given the year of the bike and the not-so-bad pricing on fork seal kits, you may want to do that at the same time.

Billy can chime in because he's a pro with the Gen I fork rebuild! He's got a couple videos here and we have him and Tony in a thread about it.

Thanks Eric! I'm always happy when one of the how-to vids help out another member. Here is the link to the "Fork Rebuild" thread. It's not hard at all and like Eric said, you may as well remove them to change the oil and seals. It makes no sense at all to just swap out your springs and leave what may be "old" fluid and "old" seals in place. You won't get the full benefit of the new springs if you do that. Trust me, the fork parts from Partshark are super inexpensive which makes just redoing the forks a "no brainer".

Just click here: http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-i-how/10475-geni-fork-rebuild-how.html

Thanks guys for all the great information & step by step vid clips, this is exactly what I need, will order parts. oil & service manual. I'll go with racetech springs unless someone suggests better ones.

Thanks guys for all the great information & step by step vid clips, this is exactly what I need, will order parts. oil & service manual. I'll go with racetech springs unless someone suggests better ones.

I've got a set of Racetech springs here waiting. I've not heard anything bad about them. :D For non-upside down forks like the Gen I, the only trick is calculating the spacer length so be sure your static sag measurements are accurate. Cutting them too long is best because you can cut some off. Cutting them too short, you can still shim with an extra washer or two, three, four... ;)

Doing the USD forks is different. This will be my first USD fork build. :eek5:

one more question, what oil wt does the manual recommend? I know the level is 140mm from your video clip.
Thanks.

I believe that stock wt is 5w for all the FZ1s. I know it is for the Gen II but I'll let one of the Gen I owners (or former owners... ;) ) confirm this.

I believe that stock wt is 5w for all the FZ1s. I know it is for the Gen II but I'll let one of the Gen I owners (or former owners... ;) ) confirm this.

Your right on Eric. It's 5WT oil stock for the GenI. Unless your a "ton of fun" like me, you'll be fine with it. If your needing a bit stiffer ride then go up to 7WT. but not more than that. 10WT. and you'll be sorry! Ask me how I know!:nono:

Back