Free Day = 575 Miles

Well the stars aligned and I had a free day on my hands. No chores, no wife, no kid, no work, nothing. What to do??? Well ride of course! As luck would have it I forgot my camera and I'd lent my GoPro to a buddy so he could shoot some footage of touch and go landings. So no images today.

First I considered "the usual", for those who know Central TX - Lime Creek Rd, 1431, Inks Lake, and back. Well I road LC and 1431, stopped for lunch at Marble Falls and I was eating poured over my maps. I thought wtf, I'll go south to Kerrville and ride 16 to Medina. So I did. Once I got to Medina , I thought wtf, I'll take 337 (epic road) to Leaky. Then once I go to Leaky, I thought wtf, I'll ride the Twisted Sisters. Once all that was done I had about 330 miles in, and another 180 or so to get home. So after an amazing dinner in Leaky, for all of $9.95, I took 337 to 16 to 42 to New Branfels, and then slabbed it up I35 to Austin.

I left Austin at about 11:00 or so, and got home about 8:45 I didn't really stop that much but for lunch, dinner and fuel. I had a few interesting experiences and observations along the way. 1) As I was gearing up after lunch an attractive older woman in a BMW X5 remarked, "That is one good looking motorcycle." I assume she was referring to the FZ. 2) Not all HD riders are clowns dressed for a parade. In Leaky I stopped by the local motorcycle shop/watering hole to see if they had any "Monkey Butt Power." I'd forgotten mine and at that point I still had about 300 miles to go in a very humid day. No they didn't - but a normal looking person, who happened to ride an HD, let me use some of his Gold Bond. Thank goodness!!! 3) Most HD riders look like clowns dressed for a parade; one woman even had a tiara on, and a gut to match... 4) A teenage kid at the gas station said, "I like you bike." I know he was talking about the FZ. 5) As you get closer to a major town there is an increase in the number of drivers and how poorly they drive. 6) The FZ has a sweet spot for cruising at 92.

Today I'm dehydrated and tired but I'm glad I did the trip.

Last edited:
Thanks Pete! I was supposed to have a day like this today but the weather here isn't cooperating. So, with one more week off from work, I'm going to pick the best day available and head out for a WTF trip myself! :tup:

Glad you got the time to take a day of Pete-time! Thanks for sharing!

Well the stars aligned and I had a free day on my hands. No chores, no wife, no kid, no work, nothing. What to do??? Well ride of course! As luck would have it I forgot my camera and I'd lent my GoPro to a buddy so he could shoot some footage of touch and go landings. So no images today.

First I considered "the usual", for those who know Central TX - Lime Creek Rd, 1431, Inks Lake, and back. Well I road LC and 1431, stopped for lunch at Marble Falls and I was eating poured over my maps. I thought wtf, I'll go south to Kerrville and ride 16 to Medina. So I did. Once I got to Medina , I thought wtf, I'll take 337 (epic road) to Leaky. Then once I go to Leaky, I thought wtf, I'll ride the Twisted Sisters. Once all that was done I had about 330 miles in, and another 180 or so to get home. So after an amazing dinner in Leaky, for all of $9.95, I took 337 to 16 to 42 to New Branfels, and then slabbed it up I35 to Austin.

I left Austin at about 11:00 or so, and got home about 8:45 I didn't really stop that much but for lunch, dinner and fuel. I had a few interesting experiences and observations along the way. 1) As I was gearing up after lunch an attractive older woman in a BMW X5 remarked, "That is one good looking motorcycle." I assume she was referring to the FZ. 2) Not all HD riders are clowns dressed for a parade. In Leaky I stopped by the local motorcycle shop/watering hole to see if they had any "Monkey Butt Power." I'd forgotten mine and at that point I still had about 300 miles to go in a very humid day. No they didn't - but a normal looking person, who happened to ride an HD, let me use some of his Gold Bond. Thank goodness!!! 3) Most HD riders look like clowns dressed for a parade; one woman even had a tiara on, and a gut to match... 4) A teenage kid at the gas station said, "I like you bike." I know he was talking about the FZ. 5) As you get closer to a major town there is an increase in the number of drivers and how poorly they drive. 6) The FZ has a sweet spot for cruising at 92.

Today I'm dehydrated and tired but I'm glad I did the trip.

A friend of mine took me for a ride to marble falls back in 08 when I was in FT Hood, and before I had my FZ. Was a nice little ride then we hit some killer turns, of course me on my cruiser and him Kawa ZX14, I was concentrating like nothing else on those turns PHEW!!!! Almost the same we left at 1000 got back at 1700 and only stopped for lunch. The rest was all riding, or should I say a cruiser screaming trying not to be a punk :yes:

Sounds like a fantastic day!

Last week, I spent several days riding in/around north Arkansas on the FZ1. It is hard to put in more than 270 miles per day since all the roads are very twisty. I highly suggest highway 123 south of Eureka Springs. The weather was delightful.

at_relocation_photo_41.jpg

I saw 66 degrees at one point on the Pig Trail parkway.

Cheers,

Fred

Fred .. if all the roads around here were twisty and looked like the pic above I'd be in Heaven! Looks awesome... we do have some roads like that up in New Hampshire... up even past FZ1NH... Yeah Eric ... I checked were you're located ... pretty up there but not too far for a ride one day hopefully soon ;)

Back