FZ has some company

cjbottaro

Just bought a 2008 GSX-R 750 to keep my Fizzie warm at night. I don't have a camera, so here's a stock photo...

xpr0bl.jpg

... but really I'm here to rant.

So I fell in love with my friend's 2008 GSX-R 600. I was amazed at how easy it was to start from 1st gear, how the steering was almost telepathic, and I couldn't believe how easy low speed maneuvers were for a supersport (I was pretty apprehensive about this).

As I rode it more and more, I got used to the aggressive posture and actually kind of like it for certain things (like turning and hard acceleration, still like the FZ for mellow riding).

What really made me decide to get one is that my gf just finished the MSF class (perfect scores btw) and I wanted to get her a starter bike. The 2008+ GSX-R bikes come with this switch that puts them in one of three modes A (full power), B (limited power) and C (neutered). I tried mode C on my friend's 600 and it was like riding a 250-500cc bike... perfect (well, I didn't make it two blocks before turning it off, but perfect for my gf)! Oh, it has a fantastic slipper clutch too.

So I find a 2008 GSX-R 750 in my city (shrug, I like higher torque/power) and go check it out.

First off, the bike had supposedly been garaged for it's whole life, but during the duration the selling process, the owner for whatever reason stored it in his grandmother's backyard. It was dirty. It made my heart hurt. I even got a towel and started wiping bird shit off it.

Second, the owner swore it was in perfect mechanical condition, but wouldn't let me take it around the block (my fault for not bringing cash). The bike has 3700 miles and original tires... I told him I'd need to buy new tires and he told me I was crazy.

So anyway, I work the price down a little and buy it. I started to ride it home and things were going ok until the first 90 degree turn where I almost f-ing wiped out. I wrote it off as being a super windy day and just getting hit by a blast of wind.

On the way home, I decided the bike just feels off and I take it to work to compare with my friend's 600. It was a night and day difference... something was seriously messed up.

After work, we take it back to my place... and find out that it has 20 psi in the front tire and like 27 the in rear tire. Wtf.

So after fixing that, it's still not handling like his 600. We determine it's the tires because the front tire is just horribly worn (it's like almost square).

We go buy tires. Then I spend the rest of the night changing oil, cleaning and lubing the chain (which had obviously been neglected) and tearing her apart so I could clean her proper.

It took till midnight to finish all that... and yeah it looks good now, the engine sounds a lot smoother, the clutch is a little smoother, the handling isn't dangerous anymore (but still not fixed, still need to mount the tires)... but... it just doesn't feel like my bike... it feels like some guy's gaudy toy that wasn't taken care of. The FZ, despite being second hand, feels like *my* bike.

I love my FZ... I want to love the Gixxer like that, but I feel like a bad buying experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

When I bought the FZ, I would go look at it in the garage... sit it on, fiddle with the controls and get all butterflies and what not. When I look at the Gixxer, I think... ugh, who would get an opaque black windscreen like that??

My friend says I should look at it like I rescued an abused child, and after a lot of care and nurturing, I'll eventually love it like my own... :p

How much you paid for it? That will determine if it was worth it or not.

Personally I hate buying beaten up bikes. My FZ6 was crashed before and had a rebuilt title issued in one state and clear in another. Only to find that it can't be made clear in the original issuing state. Bummer. Glad that I got rid of it and it is someone else's problem now.

Last edited:
First, I moved it for you. :D

Second, with a used bike, I wouldn't buy it without getting to ride it first. Also, when buying used, never go and buy on the first visit. First visit it to carefully inspect the bike, make notes of the issues and (if they are willing) test the bike. If the tire pressures are off and the chain looks like it was stored in salt water, walk away. The person did nothing but neglect the bike. But, make an offer that you know they will balk at and refuse. Then, politely list the problems and ask him to call you when he is ready to deal on a rock bottom price.

After a few days, they will call you, and they will be willing to deal a bit. Still, try and low-ball their number even more and throw in a few issues you didn't release on the first visit.

All advice a bit too late but notable for the next time. :D

As for the bike now, take a fresh pass at it. Tear it down and put it back together with proper torque specs and lube everything that requires it. When you're done, you will feel just like you said, a rescuer. :tup:

GSXRs are NOTORIOUS for handling like a truck once the front tire is worn. I can say with a tire change you will probably be in good shape.

Doesn't really matter at this point what you paid, you own it, so move on from the deal and work on the bike.

Start with tires. I also recommend reading the stock fork and suspension settings and returning them to original stock specs. If he tinkered with the clickers, he probably made the bike handle much worse. Make sure all is back to stock, and adjust your preload.

In the future, when you see a bike outside with bird crap on it, assume he basically rode it to h3ll, put her away wet and didn't do any maintenance. Make offer accordingly, if you still want it.

As far as the mode adjustable setting, there's nothing on this Earth that would make me put my wife, a new rider, on a GSXR 600 or 750 no matter what the setting.

I think the tire change will make a big difference immdediately, and you'll check the suspension settings and perhaps get lucky by bringing it back to stock.

Keep us posted. Did you also check the steering stops on the steering head? Cracked, broken or damaged? Signs of wreckage?

Don't worry, she'll be yours as soon as you get it sorted.

Get some pics up!

Congrats on the new bike.

Brian

Yeah, it might have been a hasty purchase. It was the cheapest out of all the 2008+ GSX-R 750s in the Austin, Houston, San Antonio cities... which is why I kinda jumped on it. Honestly, my thought process was: "2008, check. Low miles (3700), check. Hmm, it needs to be cleaned up... ehh, thats just cosmetic."

So the update is that I put new tires on it (Dunlop Q2s) and had my suspension guy set it up for my weight and riding position... and yes, it's a night and day difference. Ha, that's understatement. It went from "dangerously messed up" to "surgical instrument"... :) Feels great now... "telepathic steering" and all. A couple of times I found myself steering too quickly even (but that's more likely me not looking far enough down the road). My friend with the 600 rode it and says it feels just like his now... I agree. Happy about how that turned out.

So I'm on night 2 of detailing it. This time it's all about polishing the paint and getting that silky smooth feel when you run your fingers on it. It's slow going (polishing by hand sucks), but it'll be done in another day or two.

And yes, I do have some remorse about selling the SV650 (as my gf's starter bike). It's just that I was so amazed at how easy it was to launch my friend's GSX-R 600. The entire bike just felt soft and compliant. I could practically drop the clutch and it would result in a smooth as butter launch. The steering felt confident because you're leaned over so much (as opposed to the teetering feeling of being on an upright bike). And there is no ferocious engine brake.

... but ... despite the "mode c" horsepower neutering, a super sport will still be intimidating for a new rider. The posture itself is intimidating. It turns easily, but that just means it's razor sharp. Low speed maneuvering is even trickier. Hell, I'm not even comfortable with it yet at low speeds, ugh.

I guess I'll clean it up, have some fun with it for a couple of months, then sell it and buy her a Ninja 250 or 500 or something. Oh well, live and learn.

Well glad to hear that new tires and sorting the suspension got the bike handling like it should again. And just try and enjoy the bike at this point. We all probably feel a little buyer's remorse here or there, but you just have to get over it and move on :tup:

I'm so happy to hear the tires and suspension changes were the only problem, as many suggested.

Stay safe and enjoy!

For what it's worth, my wife is on her 2nd Ninja 250 now and loves it. That GSXR will be a lot to handle no matter what, and as you stated, low speed maneuvers are challenging.

I remember in 1999 when I purchased one of the first Yamaha R6s to come to the states, I was shocked that when at full lock with the bars in parking lots the ends hit my legs! It was quite a departure from the CBR600F3 and even the same year Honda F4.

Last edited:
Well, I think the GSX-R is the easiest to ride out of the big 4's supersports. It's way less aggressive feeling than the R6, clutch is much less touchy, and the handling isn't as twitchy. It's like a supersport for the street... I've heard it called the Cadillac of sport bikes... :)

Anyway... it turned out well! The gf loved it! Said it was much easier to ride than the SV650. She complained the SV was really hard to start in 1st gear; it felt like it was going to shoot out from underneath her. The GXS-R with a crappy low end torque is just what she needs, I think.

She never felt comfortable leaving the parking lot on the SV, but immediately felt like she could do the neighborhood on the GSX-R... and we did.

She says mode C is very confidence inspiring. She has a weird fear of hitting the gas too hard, so I told her to whack it a few times in mode C. Made her happy that nothing happens... :)

I plan on putting HeliBars on it which are higher, closer and flatter handlebars. I think that will do a lot to increase control, especially at low speeds and also at high speeds by increasing counter steering leverage. She actually said the handlebars and seating position felt fine, but that's because she doesn't know any different.

Oh and she said it looks brand new... I hope so after 3 day of cleaning... :)

I plan on getting more seat time on the GSX-R, but I can't stop riding the FZ... just love it too much... :)

Ha- she fooled you. I wouldn't change a thing for a while, if the GF is happy why rock the boat. She may not like the new bars etc. and we all know a happy woman is fun to play with...
Just go ride the FZ.

Back