FZ09 or '15 FZ1??

Just my opinion, but...

The resale value on the FJ09 will be much higher than the resale value of the FZ1. Should you decide at some point you want to get out of the FJ09, there are a lot of options and buyers for it. There will be a much larger market for a 2015 FJ09 than a 2015 FZ1.

I wouldn't even look at the FZ09 as after riding it I can tell you the bike has major flaws and would not make you happy to do the kind of distance riding you're talking about covering. I felt the FJ09 was better but still built to a price point. Personally, the weight difference alone will make most riders of all skill levels consider the FJ09 over the FZ1 which opens up your ability to resell to a great deal more buyers.

As far as a Gear Position Indicator, you can watch my video of fitting one to the FZ1. It's not hard at all and will only cost you $150. The Geartronic II will even give you a shift light with it. I can even talk you through it if you decide to buy the bike and want to install one.

At this point there is some good advice above recommending getting a demo on both bikes. Don't buy either one based solely on the spec sheet. Get on them and see how they fit you. Get someone at the dealership to hold the font end and get your feet up off the ground if you can't get a demo. You'll know after a couple of minutes if it works for you or not.

Finally, my experience has really convinced me that more than anything else a bike purchase is an emotional event. Sometimes I have made the wrong decision and I'm always concerned about the resale of any model before considering it.

Which bike do you LOVE? Which one will you sit in the garage and look at while you're making payments in February? As long as you listen to your heart you can't make a bad choice between either of them.

Good luck and make sure we hear what you decide!

b

Cerwindel, I get the impression you're pretty focused on a brand spanking new '15 bike. That's totally fine, of course.

However, If you were open to exploring the used market, the FZ1 is one of the best bang for the bucks going at the moment. I'm sure you could find a used FZ1 that's barely been through its first service and have $3000 left over for all the mods and customization you would need to 'make it yours'.

032806_side2.jpg

Cerwindel, I get the impression you're pretty focused on a brand spanking new '15 bike. That's totally fine, of course.

However, If you were open to exploring the used market, the FZ1 is one of the best bang for the bucks going at the moment. I'm sure you could find a used FZ1 that's barely been through its first service and have $3000 left over for all the mods and customization you would need to 'make it yours'.

Exactly my point. If you want an FZ1, I would find a really clean unmolested used one with the same tech as the 2015 for thousands less. This is kind of why I wouldn't buy the new one for the price quoted by the dealer.

Personally I wouldn't throw thousands of dollars at it in mods, but that's your call. Given your size and weight I would look at $500 in suspension work and you'll transform the bike.

I'm struggling with the same dilemma on my KTM. The exhaust I want on it is over $2500. That's crazy money, but know I want it....We are back to the emotional part of motorcycling again!

Which do you love?

Exactly my point. If you want an FZ1, I would find a really clean unmolested used one with the same tech as the 2015 for thousands less. This is kind of why I wouldn't buy the new one for the price quoted by the dealer.

Personally I wouldn't throw thousands of dollars at it in mods, but that's your call. Given your size and weight I would look at $500 in suspension work and you'll transform the bike.

I'm struggling with the same dilemma on my KTM. The exhaust I want on it is over $2500. That's crazy money, but know I want it....We are back to the emotional part of motorcycling again!

Which do you love?

Well the reason I was looking at new was because I have a Yamaha Card with a low Rate id like to put it on.. Not sure if you can put used bikes on it..

2nd of all I have has some bad luck with used in the past.. But I see your guys point.. I have a 2014 FZ6R sitting here with 2300 miles.. I bought it for pure commuting, and since my job changed on me and I live 10 mins from work, I don't have that need.. I want something that has enough HP to move my ass but be comfortable all the same. TBH I think i'm trying to re-create my SV1000 bike that I loved so much.

I think the FJ09 Checks almost all the boxes for the most part.. I need to sit on them.. The problem with the FJ is Wobble and Rev Limiters.. Which yes I can send out the ECU for the limiters but the wobble scares me..

I dont know .. Torn pretty much.. Might have to ride them.

FWIW, I haven't seen a lot of complaints online about the wobble issue and wouldn't let that stop you from buying the bike you want.

I'm on bike #11, all used. Other than outstanding maintenance (that I used to negotiate the purchase price down), they have all been gems. My current bike is nearing 60,000 miles now with no end in sight. They build 'em strong these days :)

FWIW, I haven't seen a lot of complaints online about the wobble issue and wouldn't let that stop you from buying the bike you want.

I'm on bike #11, all used. Other than outstanding maintenance (that I used to negotiate the purchase price down), they have all been gems. My current bike is nearing 60,000 miles now with no end in sight. They build 'em strong these days :)

Yeah i am on the FJ-09 Forums and there is quite the long threads about the wobble.. And the Rev Limiter..

Idk.. I guess a flash would cure that issue.. The question is.. 115HP vs 140ish hp.. Big difference..

The FZ1 also has a lot of modding potential. There's tons of guys on here with a full suite of mods that say it completely transforms the bike. I haven't had the pleasure of riding a fully modded version but it sounds very, very nice indeed.

That said, a 3 cylinder bike also has a very different character from a high-revving inline 4. The FZ1 will most certainly be faster but you may like the low and mid range grunt the triple offers.

Looking at your list of previously owned bikes, I would probably reckon you'll find the FZ1 motor most similar to the ZX6R but just with more power everywhere. The FJ09 is probably going to be most similar to the SV1000 you owned except much smoother.

Regarding the wobble: Is this something that also came up in professional reviews as well? I can't recall ever reading or hearing much about it. Then again, I don't really visit the FJ-specific forums.

Last edited:
The FZ1 also has a lot of modding potential. There's tons of guys on here with a full suite of mods that say it completely transforms the bike. I haven't had the pleasure of riding a fully modded version but it sounds very, very nice indeed.

Yep, A fully modified FZ is nothing like a stock bike,

Upgrade the suspension, geometry and then ECU flash and the FZ1 really comes alive. You can then add ergonomics to suite you (i.e. seat, handle bars, rearsets...) these can be done cheaply (second hand) or expensive (high quality brand new), it's up to you. I have used a mix of second hand and brand new on my bike and spent a lot of money. But I have a bike I love and it still cost me less than a European bike of similar style, but a lot more reliable (list of most of my mods in my signature below).

You can do this to any bike you buy, getting the bike with a base that you like is the key.

Attachments

• 20150311_133008.jpg
    20150311_133008.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 57
remember your fz6r is at 75hp so 115 plus more torque is absolutely enough to get through traffic without an issue. fj09 will still do 150mph.

Yeah its not really about top speed as much... (115mph limit is too low however).

Just a tough call.. I will be at the dealer on Saturday and will sit on both and make a call.. The pricing is like 400$ diff between them.

FZ1726

I just noticed you havent chimed in a whole lot - I hope this isnt due to my HiJack .. I am in the same dilemma, hopefully some of this has been helpful!

As far as a Gear Position Indicator, you can watch my video of fitting one to the FZ1. It's not hard at all and will only cost you $150. The Geartronic II will even give you a shift light with it. I can even talk you through it if you decide to buy the bike and want to install one.

Can you point me to the video?

Gear indicators are nice but really not required. In town I'm usually in first or second and if I forget to shift down into first at a light the FZ1 has enough low end to get moving in second, third or even fourth. On the highway I am usually downshifting to pass and never up shift until I finish the pass so again no issue. Occasionally I will try to shift into 7th gear but that never amounts to anything other than a DOH!

Net result, I saved enough to get an R1 rear shock and adapter.

Well the reason I was looking at new was because I have a Yamaha Card with a low Rate id like to put it on.. Not sure if you can put used bikes on it..

2nd of all I have has some bad luck with used in the past.. But I see your guys point.. I have a 2014 FZ6R sitting here with 2300 miles.. I bought it for pure commuting, and since my job changed on me and I live 10 mins from work, I don't have that need.. I want something that has enough HP to move my ass but be comfortable all the same. TBH I think i'm trying to re-create my SV1000 bike that I loved so much.

I think the FJ09 Checks almost all the boxes for the most part.. I need to sit on them.. The problem with the FJ is Wobble and Rev Limiters.. Which yes I can send out the ECU for the limiters but the wobble scares me..

I dont know .. Torn pretty much.. Might have to ride them.

This is really valuable information. I was actually going to suggest after reading you owned an SV1000 (which I also owned, 2007 SV1000S) taking a look at the Suzuki GSX-S 1000. Priced well, brembo brakes, TC, etc. Mentioning the Yamaha card explains a lot. (I have one of those, too!) That really kind of stresses my point about resale value as well though. If you just decide you don't want to pay for it anymore or simply have another priority come up and need to shed the bike payment, the FJ09 will sell quickly and for most of what you pay for it.

As much as I don't want to admit it I agree that a 115mph rev limiter would piss me off. I do a lot of track days and although you don't want this bike really for the track you should be able to go as fast or slow as you choose. I don''t need electronic nannies either so in this particular case I agree you will need to flash the ECU or do whatever everyone is doing to remove the limiter!

As far as the "wobble" is concerned, I have not read anything about it from any mainline sources either. That said, I believe you stated you are 280lbs and over 6 feet tall, right? Again just my opinion and I'm not looking to spend extra money, but at that size you are definitely going to want to re-spring your suspenders. I would simply send them out to Race Tech and have them revalved as well at the same time. Again, you're in the neighborhood of $500-$750 and that will make the biggest change in the bike more than anything else = AND is will resolve the "wobble" you're worried about. I'm a big guy too and the stock sticks on any bike besides an MV Agusta are going to be way too soft for you.

For merely a $400 difference between the two bikes and the fact that you said the FJ checks almost all the boxes, that's probably where I would head if I were you and just get the great rate on your card. You cannot put a used bike on the Yamaha Card, just FYI.

Lastly, I do want to say this...

If you loved the SV1000 as much as you say, I will honestly say the FZ1 is weighted and handles more like the SV than the FJ will. The SV1000 motor was nice in the low end which made it enjoyable but it honestly displayed every ounce of its quite hefty size when riding it. The FZ1 also feels like its spec sheet when riding, it is heavy. Conversely, the motor in the FZ1 really needs to be spun up to get what you want out of it. As stated above, riders are downshifting to pass people on a liter bike on the highway with the FZ1.

The FJ09 motor with much less mass to push around will have way more oomph in the low and mid range than the FZ1, so it really depends how you'll be riding it. With the lighter weight and higher low-rpm output the FJ09 honestly feels a lot quicker than the FZ1. Think of the FZ1 more like a sledgehammer that once you spin it up you'll really start to shred the asphalt but at a price. One major reason I sold the FZ1 was because if I rode it at all in the meat of its top end power I was often well into 75 or 80 mph in first gear.

Hopefully all this input from the members who really care that you get the bike that makes you happy is helping. I can't wait to hear what you decide - now get out there and demo the bikes when the snow goes away!

Last edited:
Occasionally I will try to shift into 7th gear but that never amounts to anything other than a DOH!

Ha! I do this all the time. Honestly, I never cared about a GPI until I had one. Now I just love having it. Like I mentioned above, the Geartronic II also has a shift light across the top of the GPI so for me it's easily worth the small expense. AND I stopped shifting to 7th! :)

This is really valuable information. I was actually going to suggest after reading you owned an SV1000 (which I also owned, 2007 SV1000S) taking a look at the Suzuki GSX-S 1000. Priced well, brembo brakes, TC, etc. Mentioning the Yamaha card explains a lot. (I have one of those, too!) That really kind of stresses my point about resale value as well though. If you just decide you don't want to pay for it anymore or simply have another priority come up and need to shed the bike payment, the FJ09 will sell quickly and for most of what you pay for it.

As much as I don't want to admit it I agree that a 115mph rev limiter would piss me off. I do a lot of track days and although you don't want this bike really for the track you should be able to go as fast or slow as you choose. I don''t need electronic nannies either so in this particular case I agree you will need to flash the ECU or do whatever everyone is doing to remove the limiter!

As far as the "wobble" is concerned, I have not read anything about it from any mainline sources either. That said, I believe you stated you are 280lbs and over 6 feet tall, right? Again just my opinion and I'm not looking to spend extra money, but at that size you are definitely going to want to re-spring your suspenders. I would simply send them out to Race Tech and have them revalved as well at the same time. Again, you're in the neighborhood of $500-$750 and that will make the biggest change in the bike more than anything else = AND is will resolve the "wobble" you're worried about. I'm a big guy too and the stock sticks on any bike besides an MV Agusta are going to be way too soft for you.

For merely a $400 difference between the two bikes and the fact that you said the FJ checks almost all the boxes, that's probably where I would head if I were you and just get the great rate on your card. You cannot put a used bike on the Yamaha Card, just FYI.

Lastly, I do want to say this...

If you loved the SV1000 as much as you say, I will honestly say the FZ1 is weighted and handles more like the SV than the FJ will. The SV1000 motor was nice in the low end which made it enjoyable but it honestly displayed every ounce of its quite hefty size when riding it. The FZ1 also feels like its spec sheet when riding, it is heavy. Conversely, the motor in the FZ1 really needs to be spun up to get what you want out of it. As stated above, riders are downshifting to pass people on a liter bike on the highway with the FZ1.

The FJ09 motor with much less mass to push around will have way more oomph in the low and mid range than the FZ1, so it really depends how you'll be riding it. With the lighter weight and higher low-rpm output the FJ09 honestly feels a lot quicker than the FZ1. Think of the FZ1 more like a sledgehammer that once you spin it up you'll really start to shred the asphalt but at a price. One major reason I sold the FZ1 was because if I rode it at all in the meat of its top end power I was often well into 75 or 80 mph in first gear.

Hopefully all this input from the members who really care that you get the bike that makes you happy is helping. I can't wait to hear what you decide - now get out there and demo the bikes when the snow goes away!

Well good news - im in California .. 70's and Sunny..

2nd thing is .. I sat on the FJ today.. Its out.. Too narrow.. Felt like a Bear on a tricycle... So.. Most likely will end up with the FZ1 .. Working on Price!

I will post pics as soon as shes in my hands.

C

Back