FZ09 or '15 FZ1??

Let me throw a monkey wrench into the thread since your commutes are not as long as they used to be.

[video=youtube;YWuElQVIU2g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWuElQVIU2g[/video]

Well guys.. Got to dealer.. Showed me the Fz1 looked amazing.. Until my eye caught the 15' Kawi Ninja 1000abs sitting right next to it. After sitting on both seeing all the amazing tech in the Kawi... I pulled the trigger...and bought the Kawi... 10.5k OTD..

I'll post some pics when I pick it up. At the end of the day.. About 1000 difference between them.. And couldn't pass up the price to feature ratio..

Don't hate me peeps!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Well guys.. Got to dealer.. Showed me the Fz1 looked amazing.. Until my eye caught the 15' Kawi Ninja 1000abs sitting right next to it. After sitting on both seeing all the amazing tech in the Kawi... I pulled the trigger...and bought the Kawi... 10.5k OTD..

I'll post some pics when I pick it up. At the end of the day.. About 1000 difference between them.. And couldn't pass up the price to feature ratio..

Don't hate me peeps!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hey! No haters here. I've sat on the Ninja and if it rides anything like it feels your gonna have a blast! Feel free to stay here on the board. We don't chase away non-FZers here! Oh and ditto on the pics and ride report!

Sounds great! Can't wait to hear your ride report and see some photos! Ride safe and enjoy it!

Sounds like you got the one you will love! Congrats!

Found a low miles (under 300), 2009 FZ1, for good price. Anything to look out for with that year? I read it might need ECU change, what else. Does this year have fully adjustable fork and rebound on shock?

Well, a 7 year old bike with next to no mileage on it will need a full fluid change, tires and maybe a battery. Other than that, ride & enjoy :)

The second generation (2006+) FZ1 has a preload, rebound & compression adjustment on the forks and preload & rebound on the rear.

Last edited:
I have an '09 FZ1. The forks are still the FZ1 compromise - both left and right forks are adjustable for spring preload. Just the right fork is adjustable for rebound, the left fork adjusts only for compression. To get fully adjustable forks, you'll need to swap to a set of R1 forks or go aftermarket.

3) The FZ1, with 15-48 gearing has a "crowd" mode where you can go really slow in L.A. style traffic, or cruising the main drag. With this gearing power wheelies come at low RPM, so you can learn wheelies easier than FZ-9. Wheelies are important, it is the most fun thing you can do on a motorcycle.

No offense, but this is absolutely not true. The FZ09 wheelies way way easier than the FZ1. Having owned the FZ1, currently owning an FZ8, and having ridden the FZ09, the 09 was by far the easiest to wheelie of them all. Not even close to be honest - the 09 comes right up.

In no way would this have anything to do with my purchase decision though.

The crap suspension alone would make me avoid the FZ09. Most people feel the FZ1 needs some money thrown at it to make it right. Compared to the FZ09 the FZ1 doesn't need a thing and the FZ09 needs a few thousand right out of the box. The FJ09 is a better bike than its FZ09 base. Basically think of the FZ09 as a magical engine with total crap wrapped around it in an odd seating position just as StephenJWyatt described. The bike is a lot of fun though, but flawed. Very flawed.

The devastating resale loss on an FZ1 would make me think twice about purchasing that unless I got a smokin' deal on it. And I mean crazy deal. Like a horse head in my bed offer I can't refuse!

Cerwindel's choice made a lot of sense, but right now I think one of the best values in the class is the GSX-S 1000. ABS, TC, Brembo, good power, lower weight, etc... Get a dealer to give you a good price on one and see where it goes. I will admit I have not ridden it so I'm speaking on spec sheet and price alone. If you get a ride on one you have to give us a review.

Just really needed to chime in on the wheelie difference between the two bikes. If you twist the throttle on the 09 it will wheelie without any tug or clutch at all. Very light and great motor.

I did not get to test ride the GSX-S1000F but did get some decent sitting time on one and it's ergonomics feel very close to the Gen2 FZ-1, if that is any help.

Going to try and work best deal on the '15 FZ1. I am in the northeast, what would you guys consider a "great" price? NY taxes and fees are another factor, but would be the case for any bike. Best I've seen is $8499 (plus taxes, fess, etc.)

Back