FZ1 or FZ6R or Versys?

Experienced rider looking for a new bike. Narrowed choices down to these three. Do mostly in town solo short trip riding, but occassionally my wife rides on the back and sometimes I hit the highway solo.

I can get new leftover models of each, just deciding if FZ1 is overkill or if FZ6R will get boring. I prefer to get a 4cyl. which makes the Versys an honorable mention. FZ1 is more than I want to spend, but if it makes that much sense then why not. FZ6R is actually slightly more comfortable, but will it keep me entertained one year from now?

Any input would be helpful, thanks.

Although the FZ6R is a good bike, it really comes across as a beginner bike, more so than the FZ6 does. The motor and controls are all very friendly and I think a bike like that is not really suitable compared to the other two you have on your list. So that leaves the FZ6 and the FZ1 and really there's no reason not to get the FZ1 out of the two if you are experienced. Other than running costs, I don't think the 6 has much going for it over its big brother

The Versys is a great bike and fits into a different segment than the FZ1. It's not as fast but the motor is great and it's very fun to ride--almost like a grown-up supermoto that you can use every day. It's capable off road and is one of my favourite bikes. It's going to be a lot more economical (55MPG vs 38-40 for a Gen 2) and cheaper to insure for most states/countries/etc.

Experienced rider looking for a new bike. Narrowed choices down to these three. Do mostly in town solo short trip riding, but occassionally my wife rides on the back and sometimes I hit the highway solo.

I can get new leftover models of each, just deciding if FZ1 is overkill or if FZ6R will get boring. I prefer to get a 4cyl. which makes the Versys an honorable mention. FZ1 is more than I want to spend, but if it makes that much sense then why not. FZ6R is actually slightly more comfortable, but will it keep me entertained one year from now?

Any input would be helpful, thanks.

Well, I think the Versys is a Twin and not a 4 cylinder so if your looking for a great 4 cylinder and you occasionally ride "two up", I would definitely go with the FZ1. It's nimble enough for a big bike and maybe just a little less comfortable than the FZ6 but if your only going short distances, I would look towards the FZ1. If you can find a 04 or 05 GenI with low miles you'd save some money and be even more comfortable solo or two-up, and you'd still get decent gas mileage in the upper 40mpg range.

In addition, if I went Yamaha then I would have the bike shipped in from an out of state dealer. Does anybody have any experience with this concept? I am unsure if a hauler will take care when transporting.

Also, I sat on a Z1000 and preferred the FZ1. The Ninja 650R also fit me very well, 6'1 200 lbs, but I just sold my Ninja 500 and want something different.

I would not mind a Versys as a daily commuter and maybe even economical tourer. I think the look awesome to boot! Would not even try two up on that thing though.

I couldn't tell you about shipping from an out-of-state dealer. Hell, it's been probably almost 30 years since I've bought a brand new bike. But I will tell you that at 6-1 and 200lbs, I would definitely lean towards the FZ1. I wasn't crazy about the looks on the Z1000. It looks like a "Transformer" and the FZ1 looks more like a "Sportbike" which is more to my taste. The Ninja 1000 is a cool looking bike as well.

Given a choice of those 3, FZ1 everytime. You'll be bored of the FZ6 in no time same for the Versys. Plus the Versys will be very similar to your old Ninja 500.

Have you thought about a Z750 or even an Aprilia Shiver, I know it's a V twin but worth a look, test road one a couple of months back and it's was awesome in town but felt like too much of a backwards step from a Tiger 1050.

I sat on a bunch of Ducatis too and the only one that fit me was an air-cooled 2010 Multistrada, although a used GT1000 was not bad. Duc's are a little too forward for my back and neck (45 yo).

I haven't looked at a Shiver, but there is no dealer close to me anyway. I can get really good deals on leftover Yams out-of-state, in addition to them having four cylinders. The local dealers only carry current models and I have always had great luck buying leftovers in the crate at various opportunities- not to mention when it comes time to talk numbers face-to-face, a colonoscopy is much more pleasant.

Well as you are on an FZ1 forum then most of us would say get the FZ1.
If you are looking at keeping the bike for a few years then you won't get bored as easily with the FZ1.
It's a very capable and underrated motorcycle that lends itself to being modified for more power relatively easily.
Good luck with your decision.

i also just got rid of my ninja 500 2 weeks ago, and went with an 05 FZ1. I did a fair test drive of the FZ6 and am VERY glad i didn't go with it. the fz1 has so much more torque and 'starting' power.. not to mention the very calm city cruising at 3k with power on tap in whatever gear you're in. Compared to the ninja, its a smile every time. The ninja was no longer thrilling (after 5 or more years though)... this bike is probably more powerful than we all need, but greed is another thing..:) go with an FZ1. at least the first gen is easily as comfortable if not more so because of the wider seat than the ex500. As for fuel economy, i'm not long into it, but my first fill up netted me 40mpg. On the ninja I had a muzzy full exhaust and a K&N filter, fog mod, and probably running slightly richer ? I was only getting 42 average.

I sat on the 650R and it was gobs of comfort in a sport appearance, but the difference in numbers wasn't enough for me to bother. I know its geared lower, and that makes a big difference though. The FZ1 (05 at least ) has the same tach roughly as the ex500, weights negligibly more, and has more than double the power to the wheel. The FZ6 is geared to rev out to 14k redline, so its just higher in the range, and rocks 85hp to the wheel.

Last edited:
FZ1, if you want power, reliability at a good price. The FZ6R is weak on power and heavy. The Shiver is fun for shorter rides, top end is weak, and reliability can be sketchy.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

I am all about:
1. Upright comfort/fit
2. Reliability
3. Handling
4. Low maintenance
5. Fun factor to avoid personal obsolesence
6. Hp-Tq
7. Entry cost/value and resale

I really fit into a 750 package, but the FZ8 is the only bike available that fits me and there is no BMW dealer near. Best price seen on an FZ8 is $8K OTD. I might be able to find a leftover 2009 FZ-1 for the same which would ultimately bring better resale here in FL.

I also sat on a Ninja 650R today and thought it was the most comfortable bike yet, but have not been able to sit on a Versys. In addition, after coming off a Ninja, I do not want another back-to-back. It's like dating women- blonde, brunette, brown, red head. You all know how it goes.

Last edited:
Having ridden an FZ6R a few times and owning an FZ1 (obviously) I would say that the FZ1 is the hands down winner. While the FZ6R may be cheaper it's way down in power and that will be really apparent when riding two up, plus the suspension is bargain basement. There are plenty of good deals to be had on leftover FZ1s (or even slightly used ones). The FZ8 is not a bad choice, but again the suspension leaves a lot to be desired and for FZ8 price you should be able to get a leftover '09 or '10 FZ1.

Having ridden an FZ6R a few times and owning an FZ1 (obviously) I would say that the FZ1 is the hands down winner. While the FZ6R may be cheaper it's way down in power and that will be really apparent when riding two up, plus the suspension is bargain basement. There are plenty of good deals to be had on leftover FZ1s (or even slightly used ones). The FZ8 is not a bad choice, but again the suspension leaves a lot to be desired and for FZ8 price you should be able to get a leftover '09 or '10 FZ1.

What he said lol

Mate, I suggest you go with the FZ1.....as an experienced rider you will quickly become bored with the others. Other to consider would be a Speed Triple or Kwacka 1000......

The FZ1 has far more H.P. than anyone will use on the treet (and be under the legal speed limit) and although some think it's a bit low on torque, I think it's fine. Although it has a more upright position than an R1 or other all-out sporty bikes, it's still definitely bent towards harder street riding and the curves where it can be taken closer to it's limits. When it is time to just take your time and enjoy the scenery, not being so aware of the need to go fast, the FZ1 drifts a bit out of it's element. I've had several bikes that were plenty fast and yet allowed the rider to be more relaxed in an afternoon ride or going cross-country for several thousand miles. I had a Suzuki V-Strom 650 just before my 08 FZ1 and it wasn't long before I missed the posture of the V-Strom. I've even been contemplating getting a new "12" Strom. When I toured the Upper states (Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, and Montanna) back in 2007 I had a blast with the V-Strom and although it grunts out about 70 H.P. at the top, that little 90 degree twin has amazing power down under 4 grand where you spend a lot of time on the street or in the mountains. Anyone who thinks you absolutely have to have four cylinders moving at 12 grand and knocking out 100 plus H.P. simply hasn't had the opportunity to enjoy the options that are out there. I'm not cutting the FZ1 because I enjoy mine a lot, but I wont knock the abilities of all the other great bikes out there either. It's too bad we don't even get a chance to see some of the bikes offered in other countries. Rid-em, rid-em all and see the great machines past, present, and future.

Mate, I suggest you go with the FZ1.....as an experienced rider you will quickly become bored with the others. Other to consider would be a Speed Triple or Kwacka 1000......

I sat on a z1000 and did not like it. A Speed Triple is over my self-enforced budget.

The FZ1 has far more H.P. than anyone will use on the treet (and be under the legal speed limit) and although some think it's a bit low on torque, I think it's fine. Although it has a more upright position than an R1 or other all-out sporty bikes, it's still definitely bent towards harder street riding and the curves where it can be taken closer to it's limits. When it is time to just take your time and enjoy the scenery, not being so aware of the need to go fast, the FZ1 drifts a bit out of it's element. I've had several bikes that were plenty fast and yet allowed the rider to be more relaxed in an afternoon ride or going cross-country for several thousand miles. I had a Suzuki V-Strom 650 just before my 08 FZ1 and it wasn't long before I missed the posture of the V-Strom. I've even been contemplating getting a new "12" Strom. When I toured the Upper states (Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, and Montanna) back in 2007 I had a blast with the V-Strom and although it grunts out about 70 H.P. at the top, that little 90 degree twin has amazing power down under 4 grand where you spend a lot of time on the street or in the mountains. Anyone who thinks you absolutely have to have four cylinders moving at 12 grand and knocking out 100 plus H.P. simply hasn't had the opportunity to enjoy the options that are out there. I'm not cutting the FZ1 because I enjoy mine a lot, but I wont knock the abilities of all the other great bikes out there either. It's too bad we don't even get a chance to see some of the bikes offered in other countries. Rid-em, rid-em all and see the great machines past, present, and future.

I like to spend most of my time under 7k and like the torque of cruiser v-twin, but do not like its heavy flywheel or bike handling/weight. I also thought the current wee-Strom looked big and top heavy. Still have to sit on a Versys, and do not need to own another bike immediately. However, if an offer too good to refuse pops up I will take it.

Back