FZ8 Hatred

the only hate for the fz8 should be towards yamaha for taking what should have been an awesome bike and cheaping out on it which led to sub optimal performance. i wish the fz8 was better than it is but, with cheap parts thrown at it, it's lack of performance is disappointing. i was going to buy one until i rode it and went with a fz1 instead.

it really needs a tune, and suspension. my tuned fz6 was quicker than the stock fz8.

Even fully tune with the R1 cams the mid range was crap and the HP curve was flat at 103HP like its restricted, that was with the TB slip-on. Same map and just the mid ship exhaust the bike felt better right away. Flat spot in the mid range is gone and has better top end. My buddy DJ has been busy for work and now out of town. Dyno run should be schedule soon after he get back in town.

Also working on the final tune for the 13s FZ8. The gents went on the dyno bone stock with 92WHP @10K and 52ft.lb at 8200. He too felt a huge improvement with the new exhaust and PCV tune. TPS and PSI base map... ya I learn from the best... or I should say Beast. Lol

He should go on the dyno very shortly too to get some numbers. I can't see why the bike won't brrak the 3 digits with still 55-60 ft.lb or torque... thats almost better that a R6!

Handling is another issue of his own but since quite a few FZ1 owner did upgrade there suspension... I call it a draw in that department.

It all come down on Yamaha building bike with cheap in mind. Cheap sell to a certain point... quality and performance is what most of us enjoy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

I think the main issues that people have with the Fz series are

1. Cheap suspension parts - I think there is really no reason why they couldn't add adjustable forks and rear suspension off the get go with the Fz8. well, that or understanding that the bike is built for a 5'10", 145-165 pound man. I'm wiling to bet most riders don't fall under either of those categories. So, it would be nice if they had rebuildable internals as well as maybe even a custom order system for fork springs. Think about it. If you could pay $300 more to get custom fork springs on delivery, rather than spending $100 and leaving your bike at the shop for $200 for the labor to get it fit correctly. I would pay Yamaha the $300, easy, especially if part of the financing.

2. The engine detuning process destroys the low and mid range performance while killing the gas mileage. Why not offer a performance package, that includes a Power Commander of the showroom floor, and the upgrade pipe with more options than the GYTR.

3. Style points - the Fz1 is on it's 8th year in it's current form. By automobile and motorcycle standards that makes it very dated. The Fz8 was Yamaha's attempt to dip its toes in the American market for a naked bike. I wish the Fz1 came as a naked option in the US, and the Fz8 came with the s-fairing edition in the US. Americans like our choices.

The Fz8 was Yamaha's attempt to dip its toes in the American market for a naked bike. I wish the Fz1 came as a naked option in the US, and the Fz8 came with the s-fairing edition in the US. Americans like our choices.

Manufacturers have always gotten burned offering naked bikes in the US. A few people clamor for them and when the bike guys import them the market always turns it's back on them. Bottom line, most people want some sort of wind protection regardless of what they say in some sort of focus group. The European market is different from the US market. We'll see how the new naked triple sells....I suspect the next years iteration will include a half fairing.

Manufacturers have always gotten burned offering naked bikes in the US. A few people clamor for them and when the bike guys import them the market always turns it's back on them. Bottom line, most people want some sort of wind protection regardless of what they say in some sort of focus group. The European market is different from the US market. We'll see how the new naked triple sells....I suspect the next years iteration will include a half fairing.

I understand the whole wind protection thing, but honestly on my naked Fz1 I've done 500 mile days and didn't really think the wind that bad. I even rode through a high wind warning for about 35 miles with gust around 20-40 mph. I'm 6'4" and broad shouldered as well, so if I sit up as big as can be I'm like a sail. The only time I really notice the wind is over 80, which is higher than any legal posted speed limit outside of Montana.

Granted on my Fz6 I would lay on the tank, then kick my legs back over the passenger pegs, but I found myself going faster. So the half fairing was nice, but the position sucked for my neck. I hated sitting upright on it and constantly was searching for a position to tuck in under the wind buffeting, never really comfortable.

I mean, take a look at Ducati, they have the Monster, streetfighter, hypermotard, and Diavel lines all of which are pretty much naked bikes. Only their superbikes and multi-strada have significant fairings to them. Is it just because Europeans have more style, are generally shorter and lighter? Who knows, but I know I love my naked bike. Only thing that would sway me away from it would be an FJR1300A and that would be only for long touring trips, so that I could have the saddle bags for my clothes and my tent.

I like the FZ8 a lot. Just enough power for what I would need. I know the FZ1 is a better bike but I don't really need 150 HP. I have 80 WHP on my FZ6R on a good day and it's way enough for normal use.

We got the same thing with FZ6 vs. FZ6R. The same will happen with the FZ8 vs. FZ9. I haven't rode a FZ8 but help to tune it with my new mid ship exhaust. Right out the box the bike get more woop with the exhaust (dyno run to come shortly 13' stock vs Marthy exhaust / PCV)

Still waiting on the final numbers of the R1 cams swap. The first dyno run with the TB slip on was right there with a R6 (103-5 WHP). So power should not be an issue... there's a gain with the new exhaust... just need to put it on paper. From the butt dyno is about 5 HP... that's close to 110 WHP if the butt dyno is right! LOL

So the FZ9 has 113 at the crank... great! The R1 cams swap got 55 ft.lb or torque or something like that... ya... final number not here yet.

So for someone like me stuck in Florida road... The FZ8 make good sense for me. The FZ9 is a nice bike don't get me wrong. But I'm not digging the tail section and the small fuel tank is not working for me.

Not quite decided on what I will get later this year. Most that likely it will be a middle weight naked bike. gotta few on my list...

At the end of the day, I don't think there's anything wrong with the FZ8. Just a matter of personal taste and needs. We can say that from about any bike out there...

IMO, FZ8 is not so bad compared to the FZ1. FZ6R was too much of a backward step compared to the FZ6 (read steel frame, low power, no dual headlights, boxy swingarm with same engine cc). FZ6R seems more like a beginner bike and the name is just a misnomer and a marketing gimmick to attract newbies..

IMO, FZ8 is not so bad compared to the FZ1. FZ6R was too much of a backward step compared to the FZ6 (read steel frame, low power, no dual headlights, boxy swingarm with same engine cc). FZ6R seems more like a beginner bike and the name is just a misnomer and a marketing gimmick to attract newbies..

In Japan they used the Fz6R to start their marketing campaign to attract women riders. Not saying anything wrong with that, but when you're a 235 dude like me, the power on the original Fz6 wasn't thrilling enough, let alone minus 20 hp.

(insert all comments about crashing both bikes here, hehehehe:hellno:)

In all honesty I wish I would have started on the Fz8, it would have not had me bored in 2 weeks like the Fz6 and not been too much bike like the Fz1. Kinda like Goldilocks.

My "Motorcyclist" mag arrived today. Cheer up, it has some love for the FZ8.

There was definitely some lovin' going on in that little review. The mag obviously went to press before the new triple was announced. I doubt too many FZ8's will be sold from here on out to when the triple hits the floor in September and some reviews start coming in. I can't believe the new triple won't trounce the FZ8 in all categories, but there might be some good deals on remaining stock.

I wonder how cheap you could get a new FZ8 after they have been collecting dust in a showroom somewhere. I've seen some people here who got screaming deals in BNIB FZ1s before :)

I wonder how cheap you could get a new FZ8 after they have been collecting dust in a showroom somewhere. I've seen some people here who got screaming deals in BNIB FZ1s before :)

It depends on how many are stacked up in the warehouse. I think the makers are more attuned to the market than they used to be. I remember back in the early-80's Honda still had stacks of their great little CB400F café racer that had been made from 1975-77, they were blowing them out at $800 which was a steal because the original MSRP was about $1350. They weren't particularly fast but man did they look nice and they ran like a Swiss watch. Very collectible today.

That's exactly how I scored a nice deal on a 2012 FZ1. The dealer had several to move and gave me a nice price out the door. There's something nice about having a brand new machine with 1 mile or less on the clock.

It's going to come down to that. If I get a good deal on a 8, fine. I will spend few extra $ on suspension upgrade and do the R1 cams swap. All depend if the new 1 get updated...

Who knows, but I know I love my naked bike. Only thing that would sway me away from it would be an FJR1300A and that would be only for long touring trips, so that I could have the saddle bags for my clothes and my tent.

Sky,
We need to get out for a ride this weekend! I'll let you try my FJR!

- Mckshred

Even fully tune with the R1 cams the mid range was crap and the HP curve was flat at 103HP like its restricted, that was with the TB slip-on. Same map and just the mid ship exhaust the bike felt better right away. Flat spot in the mid range is gone and has better top end. My buddy DJ has been busy for work and now out of town. Dyno run should be schedule soon after he get back in town.

Also working on the final tune for the 13s FZ8. The gents went on the dyno bone stock with 92WHP @10K and 52ft.lb at 8200. He too felt a huge improvement with the new exhaust and PCV tune. TPS and PSI base map... ya I learn from the best... or I should say Beast. Lol

He should go on the dyno very shortly too to get some numbers. I can't see why the bike won't brrak the 3 digits with still 55-60 ft.lb or torque... thats almost better that a R6!

Handling is another issue of his own but since quite a few FZ1 owner did upgrade there suspension... I call it a draw in that department.

It all come down on Yamaha building bike with cheap in mind. Cheap sell to a certain point... quality and performance is what most of us enjoy.

so what year r1 cams did you use in your fz8? i have a 2013 im thinking of doing this mod on....

fz8 r1 cam swap

hey for the fz8 r1 cam swap did you need any other parts or just do the swap

I like the FZ8 a lot. Just enough power for what I would need. I know the FZ1 is a better bike but I don't really need 150 HP. I have 80 WHP on my FZ6R on a good day and it's way enough for normal use.

We got the same thing with FZ6 vs. FZ6R. The same will happen with the FZ8 vs. FZ9. I haven't rode a FZ8 but help to tune it with my new mid ship exhaust. Right out the box the bike get more woop with the exhaust (dyno run to come shortly 13' stock vs Marthy exhaust / PCV)

Still waiting on the final numbers of the R1 cams swap. The first dyno run with the TB slip on was right there with a R6 (103-5 WHP). So power should not be an issue... there's a gain with the new exhaust... just need to put it on paper. From the butt dyno is about 5 HP... that's close to 110 WHP if the butt dyno is right! LOL

So the FZ9 has 113 at the crank... great! The R1 cams swap got 55 ft.lb or torque or something like that... ya... final number not here yet.

So for someone like me stuck in Florida road... The FZ8 make good sense for me. The FZ9 is a nice bike don't get me wrong. But I'm not digging the tail section and the small fuel tank is not working for me.

Not quite decided on what I will get later this year. Most that likely it will be a middle weight naked bike. gotta few on my list...

At the end of the day, I don't think there's anything wrong with the FZ8. Just a matter of personal taste and needs. We can say that from about any bike out there...

hey for the fz8 r1 cam swap did you need any other parts or just do the swap
Been a while...

On top of my head you need the 2 cams, all 3 gears and timing chain.

Then 102 ILC & 105 ELC are the cam timing. I do not have the fuel map anymore. More info are available in the other house...

I have an fz8 with these mods:

2013 FZ8 Matte Grey Metallic
Personally Retrofitted Headlight
Akrapovic Full Carbon Race System
TurboJoeTuned 109/62
Graves Block Off Plates
Modded Airbox
Frame Sliders
De-stickered
Fender Eliminator
Motodynamic Clear-Lens Integrated LED tail light
Motodynamic Flush Mount front LED turn signals
SW-Motech Blaze Side bags
Puig - Front Windscreen
SHAD Comfort front/rear Seats
Snakeskin Tank grips
08 R1 Rear Shock

I love it. it keeps up with my friends full exhaust / tuned fz09 in the high rpms. its just the low rpms it struggles. but for longer rides the fz8 is 100 x more comfortable. the suspension on the 2013 is better (both front/rear adjustable even though i swapped my rear out for an R1 shock).

I looked at FZ1's. But the naked style, and 3000$ cheaper price tag was what allowed me to afford all my mods and have the perfect bike set up for me and my +1. the FZ1 would of still needed that stuff. I've ridden them and they just dont feel the same, the low end grunt was a bit better and a bit better wind protection but thats all in my book.

-B

Back