G'day from Melbourne

I'm new to this forum and just saying hi to all. I've had my FZ1n for about six weeks now and I've still got my licence!! Awesome bike and it's good to find a forum dedicated to FZ's. Usually ride in the hill's out of Melbourne - lot's of twisties and few cops.

Welcome Lonewolf !!

I'm new to this forum and just saying hi to all. I've had my FZ1n for about six weeks now and I've still got my licence!! Awesome bike and it's good to find a forum dedicated to FZ's. Usually ride in the hill's out of Melbourne - lot's of twisties and few cops.

Welcome to the best forum on the planet !! You will like it here. Nice bike btw,!!

Glad to have you along Lonewolf. There are plenty of other Aussies here on the site to possibly get together with and ride. Thanks for the pic. The bike looks great. Best of luck with it!

Thanks for the welcome

Thanks for the warm welcome and I'll try and contribute something sensible on a regular basis. A question in regard to sprocket sizes - 16T front and 47/48T rear - what is the effect on performance or rideability? I can't find specs. on the standard sprockets for the FZ1n. Any input on tyre pressure would be good also. I'm running on the original Dunlop Sportmax D221's with 34psi front and 38psi rear. My riding is pretty hard but not extreme on country roads mainly. I'm using Belray Super Clean Chain Lube - any opinions on how good it is? I've been off bikes for 15 years so the FZ1n has been a real experience to ride and I've always kept my bikes spot on .

Welcome. The pressures your running are ok. Those D221 are not great but not terrible either. Considering it's been 15 years for you they probably feel like great tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome fellow Melbournian!! I live in the hills SE of Melbourne so I know what you mean, lets hope it stops raining soon so we can enjoy them!

Welcome. The pressures your running are ok. Those D221 are not great but not terrible either. Considering it's been 15 years for you they probably feel like great tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It might be because I bought an old new bike 09 mod new in Sept 2011 but I have never had a road bike power slide like this one! Don't have a lot of confidence in the tires. I think they've gone off. G'day Lonewolf.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome and I'll try and contribute something sensible on a regular basis. A question in regard to sprocket sizes - 16T front and 47/48T rear - what is the effect on performance or rideability? I can't find specs. on the standard sprockets for the FZ1n. Any input on tyre pressure would be good also. I'm running on the original Dunlop Sportmax D221's with 34psi front and 38psi rear. My riding is pretty hard but not extreme on country roads mainly. I'm using Belray Super Clean Chain Lube - any opinions on how good it is? I've been off bikes for 15 years so the FZ1n has been a real experience to ride and I've always kept my bikes spot on .

The standard specs for the sprockets are 17T front, 45T rear.

I'm personally running 16T front, 47T rear and the bike rips through the gears and is way easier to wheelie.

There is so much more pull, it's not funny.

I reckon it's pretty well perfect for a naked FZ1.

The bike will only rev around 450-550 rpm more at highway cruising speeds of 100-120 kph.

Hello mate! I run 38 psi rear and 36 psi front in pilot road 2's. My gearing is stock. Never tried the Belray chain lube so maybe you can tell us your thoughts?

I'm personally running 16T front, 47T rear and the bike rips through the gears and is way easier to wheelie.

The bike will only rev around 450-550 rpm more at highway cruising speeds of 100-120 kph.
What sort of fuel range do you get withthat gearing?

16t, 47t

Many thanks for the info. Yes, very interesting - the extra pull and wheelie factor is of great appeal!! The 500rpm at cruising is not a worry and neither is the increase in fuel consumption. Did the stock chain still fit or need modification? I find the Belray chain lube fine so far - like a wax, non fling and very clean but I have nothing to compare it to (heard Motul is good too). I mentioned the stock Dunlop Sportmax D221's and was left with the impression they were a bit crappy. I've got 4700km's up so far and plenty of meat left on them. No grip troubles yet or maybe I don't ride hard enough (???!!!). Opinions on a better tyre anyone? I noticed after my first two country runs that my radiator was getting quite a pounding from bugs and damaging the air flow fins. Probably stating the obvious, but I fitted aluminium flywire cut to size behind the plastic grill (easy to remove) No problem now and easy to clean. Cheers

Many thanks for the info. Yes, very interesting - the extra pull and wheelie factor is of great appeal!! The 500rpm at cruising is not a worry and neither is the increase in fuel consumption. Did the stock chain still fit or need modification? I find the Belray chain lube fine so far - like a wax, non fling and very clean but I have nothing to compare it to (heard Motul is good too). I mentioned the stock Dunlop Sportmax D221's and was left with the impression they were a bit crappy. I've got 4700km's up so far and plenty of meat left on them. No grip troubles yet or maybe I don't ride hard enough (???!!!). Opinions on a better tyre anyone? I noticed after my first two country runs that my radiator was getting quite a pounding from bugs and damaging the air flow fins. Probably stating the obvious, but I fitted aluminium flywire cut to size behind the plastic grill (easy to remove) No problem now and easy to clean. Cheers

-1+2 fits with the stock chain but I would recommend adding another link to make the wheelbase closer to stock as it shortens up the wheelbase a fair bit.

The D221's are ok but there are much better tyres out there, so when you decide to replace them, you will be spoilt for choice.

I'm running Pilot Power 2CTs myself and find them to be really grippy.

I prefer a Sport tyre over a Sport Touring tyre mainly for the extra grip and confidence it gives me.

It depends upon how you like to ride your bike I suppose.

-1+2 fits with the stock chain but I would recommend adding another link to make the wheelbase closer to stock as it shortens up the wheelbase a fair bit.

The D221's are ok but there are much better tyres out there, so when you decide to replace them, you will be spoilt for choice.

I'm running Pilot Power 2CTs myself and find them to be really grippy.

I prefer a Sport tyre over a Sport Touring tyre mainly for the extra grip and confidence it gives me.

It depends upon how you like to ride your bike I suppose.
Thanks Ballmead - excellent info and a good point about the wheelbase issue. As for my tyres, I"II wait until replacement time unless I find I need more grip. Still getting to know the FZ - quite the package even in stock form. Say, that's a nice bike you've got there....... lot's of improvements. Have not seen that colour scheme before - looks good. Mines the raven colour scheme - Charcoal/granite with black. Getting used to the red seat. Speaking of seats, does anyone know about gel seats for the FZ1N. I find it gets a bit hard after a couple of hours(or less).

I use Maxima Chain & Cable lube which is also a wax.It is non fling as long as you let it set first. Wax works best if its put on a hot chain & allow to set. Makes cleaning the bike a whole lot easier with out chain oil everywhere.
As for tyres if your sport riding more than touring & are not worried about how log they last Michelin Pilot Power & Pilot Pure are nice and sticky.

Back