G'day from Melbourne

I use Maxima Chain & Cable lube which is also a wax.It is non fling as long as you let it set first. Wax works best if its put on a hot chain & allow to set. Makes cleaning the bike a whole lot easier with out chain oil everywhere.
As for tyres if your sport riding more than touring & are not worried about how log they last Michelin Pilot Power & Pilot Pure are nice and sticky.

Thanks Fangn. Just did the chain clean, adjust and lube. The Belray clean lube is not a true wax but close. I've got 2 cans so I'll see how it goes. Maxima sounds good and yes, not much to clean with that type of lube. Grip on the Dunlop seems ok except on oily Melb. suburban corners so I go easy. Good on country twisty's. Mine have 5000k's on them - still good. With medium to hard riding, what k's could one expect from the Michelin's?

Getting used to the red seat. Speaking of seats, does anyone know about gel seats for the FZ1N. I find it gets a bit hard after a couple of hours(or less).
Hi Lonewolf, welcome! :)
Not that I've tried a gel seat, but I have read in these forums that the Yamaha Gel seat is not very good. I don't think I have seen anyone state that they loved it...
The seat that gets the best write ups are the Top Sellerie seat made in france.
www.topsellerie.com

Hi Lonewolf, welcome! :)
Not that I've tried a gel seat, but I have read in these forums that the Yamaha Gel seat is not very good. I don't think I have seen anyone state that they loved it...
The seat that gets the best write ups are the Top Sellerie seat made in france.
www.topsellerie.com

Thanks for the welcome Scottyd. Based on forum feedback I'll go with the Top Sellerie item if the stock seat give's grief. After my last ride I think it was starting to soften up a bit.

Thanks Fangn. Just did the chain clean, adjust and lube. The Belray clean lube is not a true wax but close. I've got 2 cans so I'll see how it goes. Maxima sounds good and yes, not much to clean with that type of lube. Grip on the Dunlop seems ok except on oily Melb. suburban corners so I go easy. Good on country twisty's. Mine have 5000k's on them - still good. With medium to hard riding, what k's could one expect from the Michelin's?

Best I ever got out of the MichelinPilot Powers was 6000km on the rear & about 9000 on the front. That was on a GSXR1000 which was a tyre fryer, once the Michelins were warm they didnt spin up as much as the Dunlops that were fitted when I bought it. It was a toy used only for sport road riding like the Reefton & Black Spurs before they became overpoliced. I had a Power Pure fitted to the front of 08 R1 was really sticky but I swapped the R1 for the FZ1 before I everhad a chance to wear it out. Haven't had a set on the FZ1 yet,but once I wear out the current tyres I will be sticking them on. It really comes down to personal preference & riding styles.As long as we are keeping the bikes rubber side down its a good thing!

Noticed you have been through Powelltown recently, there is some good riding out that way. Try some of the small roads around Powelltown & Noojee, they tend to only carry farm traffic & are a bit of tight twistie fun!

Thanks for the welcome Scottyd. Based on forum feedback I'll go with the Top Sellerie item if the stock seat give's grief. After my last ride I think it was starting to soften up a bit.

It didnt take me to long to start looking for better seat options. I've ended up with a top sellerie seat (based on all the reviews and info here) and couldn''t be happier. It can seem a little snug to begin wiht however after a few rides it's broken in really well and it does perform as good as it looks.

By a little snug, do you mean you lack room in a critical area? I'm very happy with most aspects of my seat except the ballroom. Will this improve?

It didnt take me to long to start looking for better seat options. I've ended up with a top sellerie seat (based on all the reviews and info here) and couldn''t be happier. It can seem a little snug to begin wiht however after a few rides it's broken in really well and it does perform as good as it looks.

Thanks Nolz, that's the second referral to the Top Sellerie seat. I took a long ride today and was getting numb after 100k's or less. How much in AUD$?
Did you buy online or is there a local point of purchase?

Best I ever got out of the MichelinPilot Powers was 6000km on the rear & about 9000 on the front. That was on a GSXR1000 which was a tyre fryer, once the Michelins were warm they didnt spin up as much as the Dunlops that were fitted when I bought it. It was a toy used only for sport road riding like the Reefton & Black Spurs before they became overpoliced. I had a Power Pure fitted to the front of 08 R1 was really sticky but I swapped the R1 for the FZ1 before I everhad a chance to wear it out. Haven't had a set on the FZ1 yet,but once I wear out the current tyres I will be sticking them on. It really comes down to personal preference & riding styles.As long as we are keeping the bikes rubber side down its a good thing!

Noticed you have been through Powelltown recently, there is some good riding out that way. Try some of the small roads around Powelltown & Noojee, they tend to only carry farm traffic & are a bit of tight twistie fun!

Thanks for the input on the Michelins - excellent distance for such a grippy tyre on a GSXR. Pilot Powers get mentioned often. I went for a day ride today and did the Reefton and Black Spurs. I've got a set run from Caulfield to Emerald then onto Gembrook - Launching Place Road C424. A short but excellent fast twisty run and quiet on a weekday. Then on through Warburton along the Old Warburton Road - this is tight and twisty and detours the highway. Out and up along the Reefton Spur - fresh tar and in great condition. Lunch in Marysville and back along the Black Spur thru Healesville to the Worri Yallock Road C411 and back to Emerald. Home along Wellington Road - good run anytime. That was only 288km but all excellent twisty fast stuff and I've never seen cops on a weekday. The spur roads are in great condition at the moment. BTW what km's are up on your FZ1S and have you had a good run so far? Mines only got 5,300km's - so far perfect. Here's a few pics.........

Thanks for the input on the Michelins - excellent distance for such a grippy tyre on a GSXR. Pilot Powers get mentioned often. I went for a day ride today and did the Reefton and Black Spurs. I've got a set run from Caulfield to Emerald then onto Gembrook - Launching Place Road C424. A short but excellent fast twisty run and quiet on a weekday. Then on through Warburton along the Old Warburton Road - this is tight and twisty and detours the highway. Out and up along the Reefton Spur - fresh tar and in great condition. Lunch in Marysville and back along the Black Spur thru Healesville to the Worri Yallock Road C411 and back to Emerald. Home along Wellington Road - good run anytime. That was only 288km but all excellent twisty fast stuff and I've never seen cops on a weekday. The spur roads are in great condition at the moment. BTW what km's are up on your FZ1S and have you had a good run so far? Mines only got 5,300km's - so far perfect. Here's a few pics.........

Those km on the Michelin were the best I ever got, normal was between 4-5000 on the rear & about 8000 on the front.

I live off Woori Yallock Rd so the ride you mention is one I used to do quite often. The cops tend to be at the spurs on Fri through Sun especially from Sept through to Feb. They have even been known to put on army greens & set up in the bush on the Black Spur. Its a shame they have dropped the speed limit on both the spurs & Warby Rd.
I dont get out to often as I have a 2 year old son that takes alot of my time. In fact in the 12 mths I have owned my FZ1 I have only done about 900km. It has about 13000km on it.So far I have fitted a Screamin Demon black chrome muffler, a fender eliminator, LED indicators,shorty CNC levers,Powerbronze belly pan & have rolled the bars down. My last three bikes have all been sports bikes (ZX9R, GSXR1000 & R1) so Im starting to change the FZ into something a bit more sporty. I have just ordered a Satans adapter & 08 R1 shock to fit on & am keeping an eye out for an 08/09 R1 front end with 6pot calipers (I really miss the R1 brakes & handling)& some rear sets to fit. I like the mods ballmead has done to his, its good to read how well his mods have worked.

Your bike looks good, esecially the one in the carpark at the bottom of the Reefton Spur. Will hopefully see you out this way one day!!

Last edited:
By a little snug, do you mean you lack room in a critical area? I'm very happy with most aspects of my seat except the ballroom. Will this improve?

That's exactly what I mean!

I think I've only had the seat for a little longer than you have. You may even have more hrs in the saddle than me.
I found that when in the twisties, the mind is elsewhere and I'm hanging off the bike a bit....so no problems.

When getting to and from the twisties comfort is much improved over the stock seat but you DO have to have a bit of a shimmy and or shuffle to get the frank and beans in a good spot. I suspect it will improve a little (seat room, not my junk) over time but not hugely so.
The minor annoyance of having to make minor adjustments is far outweighed by the added comfort, bump absorbing cushinous, and reduced fatigue, plus extra hanging off the bike grip!
And it looks the tits!

Thanks Nolz, that's the second referral to the Top Sellerie seat. I took a long ride today and was getting numb after 100k's or less. How much in AUD$?
Did you buy online or is there a local point of purchase?

Hey mate, I bought it direct from the website. When purchased it back in late JAN they had a few of them in the specials section and it was about $330 to my door, that includes the matching rear.

Be warned however that you are required to post back your stock seats to them otherwise they will charge you an extra 70 euro. I decided to keep the oem seats just in case, but i figured it'd cost me close to the 70euro amount they are askign to just send it back there!

Delivery was roughly 10 days and you can track its movement from the source!

I think when compared to the price of other alternatives, ie corbin, seargent etc its a pretty good buy.

Those km on the Michelin were the best I ever got, normal was between 4-5000 on the rear & about 8000 on the rear.

I live off Woori Yallock Rd so the ride you mention is one I used to do quite often. The cops tend to be at the spurs on Fri through Sun especially from Sept through to Feb. They have even been known to put on army greens & set up in the bush on the Black Spur. Its a shame they have dropped the speed limit on both the spurs & Warby Rd.
I dont get out to often as I have a 2 year old son that takes alot of my time. In fact in the 12 mths I have owned my FZ1 I have only done about 900km. It has about 13000km on it.So far I have fitted a Screamin Demon black chrome muffler, a fender eliminator, LED indicators,shorty CNC levers,Powerbronze belly pan & have rolled the bars down. My last three bikes have all been sports bikes (ZX9R, GSXR1000 & R1) so Im starting to change the FZ into something a bit more sporty. I have just ordered a Satans adapter & 08 R1 shock to fit on & am keeping an eye out for an 08/09 R1 front end with 6pot calipers (I really miss the R1 brakes & handling)& some rear sets to fit. I like the mods ballmead has done to his, its good to read how well his mods have worked.

Your bike looks good, esecially the one in the carpark at the bottom of the Reefton Spur. Will hopefully see you out this way one day!!

I thought it was an urban legend that the cops set up in the bush to catch speeding sports bikes!! Apparently not...... I've heard this too many times now. Just as well I ride weekdays. Your FZ1S sounds like it's looking really good. I can relate to the lack of riding due to family commitments. The year I sold my FJ1100, I clocked 200km's. The IT175 had 3 rides from brand new. Sold to do more home reno work. Look for a time compromise - it can be done. My daughter is 27 now. Ballmeads bike is quite the piece - lots of time, money and effort to create that machine!! Never ridden an R1 - I've led a sheltered life but sometime I'll test ride a dealers R1 and the Triumph Speed Triple 1050 (on my mind but I hated the headlights and it looked unfinished compared to the FZ1N). I've ridden Woori Yallock Road many times, nice and quiet out there. Macclesfield Road is a good short run also. See you out there!!Cheers

Hey mate, I bought it direct from the website. When purchased it back in late JAN they had a few of them in the specials section and it was about $330 to my door, that includes the matching rear.

Be warned however that you are required to post back your stock seats to them otherwise they will charge you an extra 70 euro. I decided to keep the oem seats just in case, but i figured it'd cost me close to the 70euro amount they are askign to just send it back there!

Delivery was roughly 10 days and you can track its movement from the source!

I think when compared to the price of other alternatives, ie corbin, seargent etc its a pretty good buy.
Sounds good Nolz, that seat is definitely going on my accessory list. Price is good too. I don't mind it when focused on fast twisty tar but as you say, it's nice to get there in comfort. Cheers

I thought it was an urban legend that the cops set up in the bush to catch speeding sports bikes!! Apparently not...... I've heard this too many times now. Just as well I ride weekdays. Your FZ1S sounds like it's looking really good. I can relate to the lack of riding due to family commitments. The year I sold my FJ1100, I clocked 200km's. The IT175 had 3 rides from brand new. Sold to do more home reno work. Look for a time compromise - it can be done. My daughter is 27 now. Ballmeads bike is quite the piece - lots of time, money and effort to create that machine!! Never ridden an R1 - I've led a sheltered life but sometime I'll test ride a dealers R1 and the Triumph Speed Triple 1050 (on my mind but I hated the headlights and it looked unfinished compared to the FZ1N). I've ridden Woori Yallock Road many times, nice and quiet out there. Macclesfield Road is a good short run also. See you out there!!Cheers

Definetly no myth,it even made the news last year. Here's a link to the Vic traffic law forum from when someone was booked- Victorian Traffic Law Forum • View topic - Laser hiding in bushes....

They are a bit more visible on the Reefton Spur check out this link- OTT? VicPol on the Reefton Spur Sunday 10th
I wonder how many riders flinched as they came around the bend & she was that close on their LHS. There is a video of this some where.

FJ's were an awesome mile muncher, good luck getting a test ride on a new R1.
When I wanted to buy new I tried to get a test ride on one in Ringwood (shop has since changed hands) & was told they dont have demo bikes. When I asked how they sell bikes the reply was "they sell by reputation" so I went up the road & test rode & bought a GSXR instead!

Last edited:
Definetly no myth,it even made the news last year. Here's a link to the Vic traffic law forum from when someone was booked- Victorian Traffic Law Forum • View topic - Laser hiding in bushes....

They are a bit more visible on the Reefton Spur check out this link- OTT? VicPol on the Reefton Spur Sunday 10th
I wonder how many riders flinched as they came around the bend & she was that close on their LHS. There is a video of this some where.

FJ's were an awesome mile muncher, good luck getting a test ride on a new R1.
When I wanted to buy new I tried to get a test ride on one in Ringwood (shop has since changed hands) & was told they dont have demo bikes. When I asked how they sell bikes the reply was "they sell by reputation" so I went up the road & test rode & bought a GSXR instead!
Fangn - excellent links!! F....n unreal!! Of course they give that job to the girl cop. I'll stick to weekdays but I prefer to avoid the Black Spur - too on the highway for my liking. On two occasions I just missed motorcycle cops on what I assume are training runs thru the twisty's. Both times there were about 7 together on a weekday. As for an R1/Triumph test ride I'd locate a likely used unit with a dealer from Bikesales.com. I did this when I first test rode the FZ1N. Geoff Taylor's in Dandenong had a white one with low km's and I took it out for about 30 minutes. That had me sold on the model but I bought private. I have noticed no new demo models to ride in any shop I've been in only heavily discounted prices across the board. The FJ was a great cruiser and for it's day handled well, was excellent two up but despite 105bhp on the dyno - not real quick. I bought it with high km's and just kept spending. Like a new bike when I sold it. So was the IT. Here's a few pics.....Cheers

Fangn - excellent links!! F....n unreal!! Of course they give that job to the girl cop. I'll stick to weekdays but I prefer to avoid the Black Spur - too on the highway for my liking. On two occasions I just missed motorcycle cops on what I assume are training runs thru the twisty's. Both times there were about 7 together on a weekday. As for an R1/Triumph test ride I'd locate a likely used unit with a dealer from Bikesales.com. I did this when I first test rode the FZ1N. Geoff Taylor's in Dandenong had a white one with low km's and I took it out for about 30 minutes. That had me sold on the model but I bought private. I have noticed no new demo models to ride in any shop I've been in only heavily discounted prices across the board. The FJ was a great cruiser and for it's day handled well, was excellent two up but despite 105bhp on the dyno - not real quick. I bought it with high km's and just kept spending. Like a new bike when I sold it. So was the IT. Here's a few pics.....Cheers

After five years on the GSXR I actually traded it in at Geoff Taylor on a second hand R1. They were good to deal with.
Love the FJ, they were a good looking bike.Good engines in em too. They actually use FJ engines in Aussie race cars as they produce good power & are bullet proof.
Heres a couple of pics of my other toys. The GPZ900 I have bought to do a resto on in the future, I actually owned this very bike a few years ago.When it came on the market at a bargain price I bought it back, it had only done 900km in 4 years. The CRF450R is my dirt toy (it gets less use than the FZ1) another I managed to pick up cheap & have been steadily modifying.

After five years on the GSXR I actually traded it in at Geoff Taylor on a second hand R1. They were good to deal with.
Love the FJ, they were a good looking bike.Good engines in em too. They actually use FJ engines in Aussie race cars as they produce good power & are bullet proof.
Heres a couple of pics of my other toys. The GPZ900 I have bought to do a resto on in the future, I actually owned this very bike a few years ago.When it came on the market at a bargain price I bought it back, it had only done 900km in 4 years. The CRF450R is my dirt toy (it gets less use than the FZ1) another I managed to pick up cheap & have been steadily modifying.

That's a fine pair to have as project bikes! Can't go wrong with the GPZ900 - they're pretty much bullet proof also. The CRF would be quite the beast.....never ridden a big bore 2 stroke motocross but I could imagine........Interesting you mention Geoff Taylor's. I bought my first new bike there when I was a kid - a 1971 Hodaka Super Rat ( that shows my age!!). He delivered it himself on a trailer. Then in 1978 I bought a new XT500C, black and silver which was a great bike. If you do not already have a tech. service manual for the FZ1S, I found a site linked to Youtube. I downloaded it last night ($10). Very comprehensive and clear printed by Yamaha.Yamaha FZ1N FZ1S Service Repair Manual Download 06 Onwards - Download Technical Going for a ride tomorrow back to the Noojee Mt. Baw Baw Road area via Emerald. Cheers

That's a fine pair to have as project bikes! Can't go wrong with the GPZ900 - they're pretty much bullet proof also. The CRF would be quite the beast.....never ridden a big bore 2 stroke motocross but I could imagine........Interesting you mention Geoff Taylor's. I bought my first new bike there when I was a kid - a 1971 Hodaka Super Rat ( that shows my age!!). He delivered it himself on a trailer. Then in 1978 I bought a new XT500C, black and silver which was a great bike. If you do not already have a tech. service manual for the FZ1S, I found a site linked to Youtube. I downloaded it last night ($10). Very comprehensive and clear printed by Yamaha.Yamaha FZ1N FZ1S Service Repair Manual Download 06 Onwards - Download Technical Going for a ride tomorrow back to the Noojee Mt. Baw Baw Road area via Emerald. Cheers

We all need toys!! The CRF is a 450 4 stroke, not as insane as the 2 strokers but still an evil machine. I definetly dont have the skill needed to handle a 2 stroke off road.
Thanks for the w/shop manual link, I bought the same one off ebay a little while ago(probably paid more than $10 though).
Perfect day for a fang through the hills today, how was it?

Back