G'day from Melbourne

We all need toys!! The CRF is a 450 4 stroke, not as insane as the 2 strokers but still an evil machine. I definetly dont have the skill needed to handle a 2 stroke off road.
Thanks for the w/shop manual link, I bought the same one off ebay a little while ago(probably paid more than $10 though).
Perfect day for a fang through the hills today, how was it?

My mistake on the CRF. I associate CR with 2 strokes. Is the F the model or for four stroke? Four strokes have that brilliant engine braking anyway. I've only glanced at that manual and it looks good. I prefer to do my own service work - oil,filter,coolant etc. Anything that will cause stress goes to the shop. I think I've found a good mechanic at Brighton Kawasaki. He RWC'd the bike and I felt he really knew his job and an eye for detail. Excellent day ride......Emerald, Gembrook, Yarra Junction to Mt. Baw Baw. A very fast day with 432km. FZ1N ran perfect!! Had an incident in Warburton with a pair of "bad boy" Harley riders.....They were in my way in the main street so I passed between them. How dare I!!?? One pulled up next to me and barked like a rabid dog.....I thought he was saying g'day!!
His bike was set up like the evil truck in the movie "Duel" and looked the part too. What is it with (some) Harley riders??? Unfriendly and they don't look sideways at you at the lights!! The rest of us nod hello on the road. I've only had one acknowledge my existence and that was on FTGully Road one night. I blew away his modified Harley at the lights in 1st..... Next lights he pulled up and I got the big nod of approval (he was wearing on of those skull face things). Fuel is a slight problem on the run I did today. None at Yarra Junction so to Warburton. I get 200 to 225km's till reserve light comes on. Lunch at the same time which worked in well. Lots of bikes out today!!! Not much to photo except bush and more bush so I photo the bike.....Here's a nice pic of my bike in an "arty" tree backdrop on Baw Baw. Cheers.

My mistake on the CRF. I associate CR with 2 strokes. Is the F the model or for four stroke? Four strokes have that brilliant engine braking anyway. I've only glanced at that manual and it looks good. I prefer to do my own service work - oil,filter,coolant etc. Anything that will cause stress goes to the shop. I think I've found a good mechanic at Brighton Kawasaki. He RWC'd the bike and I felt he really knew his job and an eye for detail. Excellent day ride......Emerald, Gembrook, Yarra Junction to Mt. Baw Baw. A very fast day with 432km. FZ1N ran perfect!! Had an incident in Warburton with a pair of "bad boy" Harley riders.....They were in my way in the main street so I passed between them. How dare I!!?? One pulled up next to me and barked like a rabid dog.....I thought he was saying g'day!!
His bike was set up like the evil truck in the movie "Duel" and looked the part too. What is it with (some) Harley riders??? Unfriendly and they don't look sideways at you at the lights!! The rest of us nod hello on the road. I've only had one acknowledge my existence and that was on FTGully Road one night. I blew away his modified Harley at the lights in 1st..... Next lights he pulled up and I got the big nod of approval (he was wearing on of those skull face things). Fuel is a slight problem on the run I did today. None at Yarra Junction so to Warburton. I get 200 to 225km's till reserve light comes on. Lunch at the same time which worked in well. Lots of bikes out today!!! Not much to photo except bush and more bush so I photo the bike.....Here's a nice pic of my bike in an "arty" tree backdrop on Baw Baw. Cheers.

Im pretty sure the F in CRF does designate 4 stroke. Once you find a good mechanic you should stick with em. I still use a Honda dealer Ive been going to for over 20 years for some stuff. Most work I do myself as I am a mechanic. Its generally a time thing if I dont do it myself.
There is actually a post called unfriendly Harley riders up at the moment so your timing with those comments is just right!
From memory I get about 230km before reserve light comes on which is the same as I got on the R1, I used to get 300k on the Gixxer thou & ZX9.
430k in one ride, been a long time since Ive done a ride like that, half your luck am jealous!!

Im pretty sure the F in CRF does designate 4 stroke. Once you find a good mechanic you should stick with em. I still use a Honda dealer Ive been going to for over 20 years for some stuff. Most work I do myself as I am a mechanic. Its generally a time thing if I dont do it myself.
There is actually a post called unfriendly Harley riders up at the moment so your timing with those comments is just right!
From memory I get about 230km before reserve light comes on which is the same as I got on the R1, I used to get 300k on the Gixxer thou & ZX9.
430k in one ride, been a long time since Ive done a ride like that, half your luck am jealous!!

Yes, 432km's for the day was along ride. Since I bought the FZ1N in January, I've been on 8 day rides each no less than 300km's. Been a bit obsessed with it after all those years of not riding. I work for myself as a carpenter so I've pushed time off work to the limit (7 weeks!!!) Low on cash so back to work tomorrow. Website is in my User CP. Mechanic eh......car, bike or both?? I noticed the post about Harley riders - must be a global condition. I might write a short reply to that one. Cheers.

Yes, 432km's for the day was along ride. Since I bought the FZ1N in January, I've been on 8 day rides each no less than 300km's. Been a bit obsessed with it after all those years of not riding. I work for myself as a carpenter so I've pushed time off work to the limit (7 weeks!!!) Low on cash so back to work tomorrow. Website is in my User CP. Mechanic eh......car, bike or both?? I noticed the post about Harley riders - must be a global condition. I might write a short reply to that one. Cheers.

That Harley rider post has drawn alot of comments in a short time, sounds like similar things happen world wide.
7 weeks off!! 8 day rides!! Thats more than Ive done in the last year. Puts a big hole in the budget though. Checked out your sight some nice work there.
Am fortunate to supervise a workshop where we work on everything from chainsaws,mowers,cars,trailers,trucks,tractors right through to earth moving equipment. Not only mechanical repairs but manufacturing & modifications too. Only tend to work on my own bikes though, that way they stay a hobby.
My R1 rear shock arrived today, hopfully my Satans adaptor will arrive soon so I can fit it to the FZ1.

That Harley rider post has drawn alot of comments in a short time, sounds like similar things happen world wide.
7 weeks off!! 8 day rides!! Thats more than Ive done in the last year. Puts a big hole in the budget though. Checked out your sight some nice work there.
Am fortunate to supervise a workshop where we work on everything from chainsaws,mowers,cars,trailers,trucks,tractors right through to earth moving equipment. Not only mechanical repairs but manufacturing & modifications too. Only tend to work on my own bikes though, that way they stay a hobby.
My R1 rear shock arrived today, hopfully my Satans adaptor will arrive soon so I can fit it to the FZ1.

Just found your post, Fangn. Your work sounds really interesting - different machines to work on (or make sure it's worked on properly). Nothing like a bit of variety in one's work. Good idea to keep bikes as a hobby area. Curious for feedback as to how well the R1 rear shock works as compared to standard. As for Harley riders............................Cheers!

:sport12:Finally got the FZ1 out from under its cover done 350km 4 1/4 hrs only stopped for fuel & a couple of pics. Went from Cockatoo to Powell Town, Neerim Sth, Drouin, Poowong, Kurumburra, Leongatha,Morwell, back home to Cockatoo & was still able to walk & move my wrists at the end of it all. Reminds me why I swapped the R1 for the FZ1! Pics are from Neerim Sth.

:sport12:Finally got the FZ1 out from under its cover done 350km 4 1/4 hrs only stopped for fuel & a couple of pics. Went from Cockatoo to Powell Town, Neerim Sth, Drouin, Poowong, Kurumburra, Leongatha,Morwell, back home to Cockatoo & was still able to walk & move my wrists at the end of it all. Reminds me why I swapped the R1 for the FZ1! Pics are from Neerim Sth.

You finally got out - well done!! Nice pics too. I've been as far as Neerim South in that part of Gippsland.......must be some good back roads where you went. 350km 41/4 hours? You must have been fanging it!! :nono::angel:Cheers.

You finally got out - well done!! Nice pics too. I've been as far as Neerim South in that part of Gippsland.......must be some good back roads where you went. 350km 41/4 hours? You must have been fanging it!! :nono::angel:Cheers.

Yeah was good to finally get out, wasnt really fangn it though. I didnt realise the time so I had to come back from Morwell to Pekenham via the freeway (boring) which is mainly 110km zonefor about 100km so that would have brought the avg speed up a little. There is some nice sections of road out Gippsland way tends to be a fair bit of straight stuff with sweepers & then occaisional twisties thrown in. Found out I dont like the double bubble screen I fitted, it directed the air straight up under my helmet made riding 100kmh noisy as hell. I fitted the standard screen back on tonight. My Satans adaptor for the R1 shock arrived today, I'll hpefully fit it this weekend.
Next time I know Im going for a fang I'll try & give you some heads up so we can meet up! Probably wont be for a few weeks though. Have got a work ride coming up but its work people only.
Have a good easter & keep it rubber side down!

Yeah was good to finally get out, wasnt really fangn it though. I didnt realise the time so I had to come back from Morwell to Pekenham via the freeway (boring) which is mainly 110km zonefor about 100km so that would have brought the avg speed up a little. There is some nice sections of road out Gippsland way tends to be a fair bit of straight stuff with sweepers & then occaisional twisties thrown in. Found out I dont like the double bubble screen I fitted, it directed the air straight up under my helmet made riding 100kmh noisy as hell. I fitted the standard screen back on tonight. My Satans adaptor for the R1 shock arrived today, I'll hpefully fit it this weekend.
Next time I know Im going for a fang I'll try & give you some heads up so we can meet up! Probably wont be for a few weeks though. Have got a work ride coming up but its work people only.
Have a good easter & keep it rubber side down!

Shame about the double bubble screen but it's one of those things you don't know till you give it a try. Looks really good though in your pics. I went on a ride Weds. starting at Emerald as usual. Gembrook Road to Yarra Junction and on to Neerim South. No premium unleaded there but at Neerim Junction the General Store has a premium pump. Tried the back-roads to Neerim North and East which were short but good. You mentioned in a post those back-roads were ok. On to Noojee then home for 307km's. Definitely prefer the roads around Warburton and Marysville. I thought I'd get a ride in before Easter - too many cops will be out for my liking.
Really curious how the R1 shock works out. What the hell is a Satans adaptor!
Yes, that would be excellent to meet up and go for a fang. Just pick a day that suits you with good weather. I always stop at the bakery in Emerald for a coffee to wake up before I get to the twisty's. A day or two notice is all I'd need.
Here's a few pics from Noojee and one of a Triumph Street Triple at Marysville last Sunday (yes, I was out on the Reefton Spur again!!). I photographed the Triumph because there was a good looking girl riding so I got to talk with her for while...........the headlights.......bug eyes.....I like the bike but.....and the exhaust looks unfinished.....but I hear the triple is a great ride. Cheers.

Shame about the double bubble screen but it's one of those things you don't know till you give it a try. Looks really good though in your pics. I went on a ride Weds. starting at Emerald as usual. Gembrook Road to Yarra Junction and on to Neerim South. No premium unleaded there but at Neerim Junction the General Store has a premium pump. Tried the back-roads to Neerim North and East which were short but good. You mentioned in a post those back-roads were ok. On to Noojee then home for 307km's. Definitely prefer the roads around Warburton and Marysville. I thought I'd get a ride in before Easter - too many cops will be out for my liking.
Really curious how the R1 shock works out. What the hell is a Satans adaptor!
Yes, that would be excellent to meet up and go for a fang. Just pick a day that suits you with good weather. I always stop at the bakery in Emerald for a coffee to wake up before I get to the twisty's. A day or two notice is all I'd need.
Here's a few pics from Noojee and one of a Triumph Street Triple at Marysville last Sunday (yes, I was out on the Reefton Spur again!!). I photographed the Triumph because there was a good looking girl riding so I got to talk with her for while...........the headlights.......bug eyes.....I like the bike but.....and the exhaust looks unfinished.....but I hear the triple is a great ride. Cheers.

The last time I took a bike on the Reefton Spur it was my trail bike on a trailer behind my 4wd last November. I havent had the FZ out that way yet. After tonights weather there will be alot of crap on the roads around there for a week or so_Once came through there on the GSXR & there was a tree down & I couldnt pull up in time.Slowed up as much as I could & aimed at a spot on the head where there were car wheel marks dipped the clutch & made it over.Luckily there was only small branches & alot of leaves (looked worse than it was). Had to give the leathers a good wash when I got home though!
From what I have read the R1 shock is meant to work alot better than the stock shock & has alot more adjustability but not quite as good as the aftermarket shocks. Is a hell of alot cheaper though as its only $200 for the shock & adaptor.
A Satans adaptor is the adaptor for the R1 shock to the FZ1 shock mount, its supplied by a bloke on the other FZ1 forum whose username is Satan666 - Hence the name.
Best not heading this way for a week Police announced on the news they are having a bike blitz even doing helmet checks again!

The last time I took a bike on the Reefton Spur it was my trail bike on a trailer behind my 4wd last November. I havent had the FZ out that way yet. After tonights weather there will be alot of crap on the roads around there for a week or so_Once came through there on the GSXR & there was a tree down & I couldnt pull up in time.Slowed up as much as I could & aimed at a spot on the head where there were car wheel marks dipped the clutch & made it over.Luckily there was only small branches & alot of leaves (looked worse than it was). Had to give the leathers a good wash when I got home though!
From what I have read the R1 shock is meant to work alot better than the stock shock & has alot more adjustability but not quite as good as the aftermarket shocks. Is a hell of alot cheaper though as its only $200 for the shock & adaptor.
A Satans adaptor is the adaptor for the R1 shock to the FZ1 shock mount, its supplied by a bloke on the other FZ1 forum whose username is Satan666 - Hence the name.
Best not heading this way for a week Police announced on the news they are having a bike blitz even doing helmet checks again!

I've been on the Reefton Spur and the road to Marysville six times out of twelve day rides since I bought my N. Overall excellent, both in condition and well cambered corners.....but I do fear fallen trees on a blind bend. You did well not to panic with the fallen tree. Twice there was heavy leaf matter and sticks from weather like what's happening tonight but only in some sections. Usually ride one way with some caution to check the road first (and for cops). Turned away by the CFA one time, doing a burn along the road but last time through it was good.
Ok, I thought the Satans adaptor had something to do with installing the R1 shock. $200 is really cheap for a mod like that!! I wonder what Satan666's other hobbies are?? Worked on my bike today - oil and filter and coolant change. Using Motul 5100 10w 40 and Shell coolant as advised at Geoff Taylors. Previous owner ran the Motul so I'll continue. Unsure on the Shell coolant but assured it's fine.Quite a job getting the overflow bottle out and back in. I don't like mixing different brands of coolant together. Excellent bike to work on. Thanks for the warning re cops. I'll wait until Easter and school holidays are over. Have a good one over the Easter break!! Cheers.

Last edited:
Back