GoPro Gyro Mount

Well, I finally got around to finishing the mock-up mount for my GoPro. Preliminary tests look good off the bike. I'll have to wait until Saturday to give it a road test but if all works out good I should have a different prospective that I haven't seen on board thus far with the GoPro. It is totally "mechanical" and only a "Single Axis" unit, but that is all I should need to have some great onboard videos where you can finally get the feel for "Lean angle" that you just don't get with a solid mounted GoPro. Keep your fingers crossed! I'm pretty excited about it so far. Video's to come in a few days!

Okay, I have no camera today but I made a short vid just so you can get the gist of what I'm trying to accomplish. Those of you that watch MotoGP will understand better. I still have some "bugs" to work out but after I actually get it on the bike I'll know better what I need to do. This is sort of a "Prehistoric Gyro Mount". It's not pretty but it will have to suffice for now. Let me know what you think, good or bad. In the video, imagine that the "white board" is the tail of the bike with the camera facing forward.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_W9JYBqa6c&list=UUtIiPrXXOnkIUMfJ6mRxgkQ&index=1&feature=plcp]GoPro Test #1 - YouTube[/ame]

I hope so too Mike. I can't see it NOT working. Today at work I'm having an aluminum piece made up to strengthen things a bit. I may test it out today. I'll at least have pics posted when I get home.

Take a half day, i wanna see some pics and build details. A guy on ADVRider built one with a GS-1 gyro server and battery.
i-XkvDRfS-L.jpg

I'm anxiously awaiting build photos and test footage....

Are you using a heavy weight on the bottom to be the counter-balance?

No counter weight Aaron. I am relying on both the weight of the camera itself, and also tension applied to the top spindle. I'm trying to have this painted and dried by the time I get home. I had one can of black spray left at work and of course it's defective!! I have one in the garage that will have to do.

Patrice: As soon as I get home I promise. Just keep in mind that mine is "mechanical" and not "electrical". That one that you posted is cool! I wished I would have seen that before. Maybe I should have asked on the board. :doh2:

I think a mechanical option is cool and will try to be patient and wait for pics. The one I posted is about $80 for the servo.

Hey! Thats not bad at all, especially comparing it to the cost of a MotoGP type unit which must be a few thousand dollars. By the way, I just got a call about a sweet Pontiac Grand Prix which I have to look at right after work. My car is beginning to crap out on me and I need to get something newer pronto. As SOON as I get home the pics will be up! Promise!

Okay, I have some pics! Now please bear in mind that this is surely a rough draft and the very first prototype so it is not pretty. It is however functional, which is what I need right now. The main support is fiberglass and will be replaced with solid aluminum rod like you see the camera hanging from. Mind you I have no specialized tools and the aluminum piece you see was actually wood at first and was replaced today at work.

So this is the unit I made. It is a primitive pendulum. The weight of the camera plus tension on the locking nuts against the washers.
IMG_3725.jpg

This is the rear view of the unit. The camera will have to operate in "upside down" mode but thats okay with me.
IMG_3726.jpg

Here is the camera on a "slant". As the bike leans it will always want to remain level, or so thats what I want to happen.
IMG_3728.jpg

This is the pivot point my great buddy Sal fabbed up at work for me out of aluminum rod. The brass sleeve acts as a bushing and has tension set on it with the nylon lock nuts so that it won't be swinging back and forth unless the bike is leaned over.....I hope.
IMG_3730.jpg

Here's a shot of it leaned over from the rear. I can't wait to test this out!
IMG_3729.jpg

So aside from going to a full Gyro Unit with battery power, which I may like to try as well, please criticize. It will help to maybe see something I am not which may help to make it better.

I forgot where you lived. :doh2: You do need a car. Just don't need to look at one on a day when I'm waiting by the computer for you to post pics. :flash:

You home yet?

edit: I knew you would post pics while I was posting! That looks cool and I love that it applies to the K.I.S.S. Theory. Once you get it right, send me one willya?

Last edited:
I was editing my post while you were posting. I kept thinking there had to be a simple mechanical way to do that just didn't know what it would be or I'd be trying the same thing.

So the thing I'd be worried about is the vibrations. I have that problem when I use the pole mount and my very light cams.

I was editing my post while you were posting. I kept thinking there had to be a simple mechanical way to do that just didn't know what it would be or I'd be trying the same thing.

So the thing I'd be worried about is the vibrations. I have that problem when I use the pole mount and my very light cams.

I was thinking of that as well, and I know for sure that I use the rubber isolator on my mounts which give it "zero" movement from that point, and the brass sleeve has no top to bottom movement either so I think it should be vibration free. Hopefully!

Back