GoPro Soon To Be "No Go"

Here's the vid of my two hour ride I'm really not too happy with this GoPro Hero Wide anymore. It's time to move on. The unit is okay but I can no longer deal with that lens. I need to get something with a regular lens so that a "sharp curve" looks like a "sharp curve" and not a straightaway! I had such a nice ride today, hitting all the marks, and holding my lines, yet you'd never tell by looking at the video. That Sucks!!! I think it's time to gather up all my mounts, cables, and whatever else I have for the GoPro and pay a visit to the classifieds! Here's the sucky video anyway.......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9cBZRbK16c]YouTube - Saturday Ride On The FZ1 5-14-2011[/ame]

I took a spin up North starting on the West side, up North, crossing East, and then heading back down South. It's a nice loop that I have come to really enjoy and it covers about 120 miles.

I would love to take it off your hands. Just afraid the video might be incrimidating.lol. But for real what do they go for? I am interested I think.

I did not watch the whole thing (about 11 minutes) but I thought it came out well. Glad you got out. We have been getting lots of liquid sunshine this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

I'd give it another shot Billy... I just got my GoPro HD.... I haven't had a chance to try it on the bike yet... but, I stuck it on the side of the car... I think the key is the camera placement... on the car, mounting to the front was boring.. all you could see was the road and sky... and we've got some damn fun roads around here, but without anything else in the shot.. this angle was boring... I moved the camera to the door of that car.... down low, with the wheel in view... made all of the difference in the world... it's still boring.. because it's on the car... but... I like that angle a lot better... I think when I do hook it on the bike, I'm going to go for he same idea... nice and low... like on the lower frame rail... or possibly on the swingarm.... I like the idea of a view that shows the rider's movement... I move around on the seat a lot... put a knee down... etc... so, a nice wide angle from the rear tail or swingarm... that should be fun.

I'd give it another shot Billy... I just got my GoPro HD.... I haven't had a chance to try it on the bike yet... but, I stuck it on the side of the car... I think the key is the camera placement... on the car, mounting to the front was boring.. all you could see was the road and sky... and we've got some damn fun roads around here, but without anything else in the shot.. this angle was boring... I moved the camera to the door of that car.... down low, with the wheel in view... made all of the difference in the world... it's still boring.. because it's on the car... but... I like that angle a lot better... I think when I do hook it on the bike, I'm going to go for he same idea... nice and low... like on the lower frame rail... or possibly on the swingarm.... I like the idea of a view that shows the rider's movement... I move around on the seat a lot... put a knee down... etc... so, a nice wide angle from the rear tail or swingarm... that should be fun.

The major setback is the "fisheye" lens. I know on the "HD" model you can change the recorded resolution to get rid of that effect. Eric did it on his. I think I'm going to sell whatever I have left for $100 bucks plus shipping and put another $100 for the HD Model and be done with it. Even out front, (which I have done already), you still get that false preception of distance and lean angle. Hell, when I got home I had 1/8" Chicken Strips left on my sidewalls and you'd never know it looking at the video! There have been videos where I had Ray about three feet infront of me and he looks like he's 12 feet away. At 2:38 in the video you can see may favorite turn on the parkway. If you see the flashing sign you can see that it's a 20mph "S" which if you see the speedo I'm taking at 55 to 60mph. It's a very sharp turn but in the video it looks like a "sweeper". The more I think about it, the more I am ready to sell!

Billy, it wasn't any worse than any of the other videos I've seen here or on other forums. Remeber two things, to get the same picture your eyes see, you need really, really expensive equipment and it wouldn't mount on the bike anyway, and, you can't build into a video the visceral feeling you get when you're ridning. That's why they have those nifty machines at carnivals and other events that build in movement to the screen you're watching. It can be so reall it can make you "seasick".

My gp mount broke. I'm considering the Contour GPS to replace the gp. It tracks you on gps pretty cool.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

Contour makes a pretty strong case.
I REALLY LIKE their app that lets you use your cell phone as a viewfinder. Not sure if GoPro does the same but I think it's a nice feature.

I'm actually working on a mount for the camera today at work. It will probably take a week or so to finish but when it's done I think there will be some interested parties asking for one. Until the first "test" is done it will be my little secret.:sinister:

Here is a neet side by side comparison of the two.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpvQwSAv2Po]YouTube - GoPro HD vs Contour HD 1080p test[/ame]

LOL
Marketing definitely goes to GoPro!!! LOL

YouTube - GoPro HD vs Contour HD 1080p test

LOL

The colors on the GoPro look much more vibrant yet you can actually see how objects in the GoPro look so much more farther away than the Contour. Thats my gripe with the GoPro. The original GoPro doesn't have that issue. The problem with that is that you don't have the resolution of the newer models.

LOL

This is the video watched before I decided on the GoPro HD... and I wouldn't go back... so far, I'm loving this thing... did some time lapse with it last night... it did rather well... and was easier to use than my Canon 7d for time lapse purposes..

This is the video watched before I decided on the GoPro HD... and I wouldn't go back... so far, I'm loving this thing... did some time lapse with it last night... it did rather well... and was easier to use than my Canon 7d for time lapse purposes..

Just to add to what I posted above:
There is a catch to the Contour App!! Damn it!!! I knew it was too good to be true...well kind of....Iphone users have to pay but Android users don't. Hmmmm.

contour2.jpg

Back