Greetings, new member, new FZ1S

mikeswe

Hi,
I picked up my new FZ1S a couple of days ago, it's a silver MY 2006 (the last one the dealer had). My last bike before this was a KTM950SM, great bike but with sort of limited usability. I expect the FZ1 to be a great allrounder, including touring and track riding. First service is booked for next week and then I will go for a track day 5th July.

I was surpriced when a noticed the footrest brackets are rubber mounted, I think I will try the solid mount fix. Also I've had som e buzzing sound coming from the front somewhere at certain rpms. And then I probably will tidy up the rear license plate holder bracket.

Question, how do I remove the mirrors?

First fixes was very easy. First I flipped side on the rearset bracket washers to make a solid fit. Then I filled the cavity inside the footpeg rubbers. I had some of the glassfiber repair kit left so I took polyester, hardener and glassfiber mat and pushed it inside the rubber. Now it's solid. Also the chain was very tight from the dealer so I loosened it just a tiny bit. Now the shifting and transmission feels very nice. The gearbox is a great improvement over the KTM, and it's only got 1000km on the clock.

Welcome Mike!

Post up some pics when you get a chance. I'm fairly new to the FZ1 myself as you may have read in other threads. But I try to tear it down once a week and do something to improve it. :D

I might try the pod lights tomorrow and make them alternating blinkers as well as running lights.

Let me know how your FE mod comes out. ;)

Went to the first track day yesterday, only three dry 20min sessions then it started to rain. The bike feels very nice, stable and neutral steering. It didn't take long until the peg feelers touched down so I removed them. I did not push hard at all as the bike is new and also on stock Pilot Road tires. Rolling on/off the throttle at 7000/8000rpms the response is a bit abrupt, as many others have described here. One easy fix for that is just to turn up the idle speed, I turned it up from 1200 to around 1600 and the response was smoother.

BTW, this is a clip from the track in question, Kinnekulle Ring (not filmed by me, it was taken last friday), a very curvy track with only medium speed corners, not very fast and no real hard braking anywhere. A great track for beginners that rewards smooth riding. On a bike like the FZ1, you can take the whole lap in 4th gear and still have plenty of fun, concentrating only on the cornering lines.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg4_I43ebS8]YouTube - Kinnekulle 3 juli[/ame]

Back