How do you secure your FZ1 at home?

I'm interested to hear about other owners' security measures. Presently I have to park my motorcycles outside in the driveway and only have a cover to keep people guessing. I'm looking for ideas to improve security, and am curious to hear about specific types of locks, cameras, alarms, etc. that others are using.

In a garage. A couple of houses ago I had to park my VTX outside my living room window. I always locked the wheel and used a cable alarm. If u tamper with the cable a VERY LOUD alarm goes off. Only thing that ever set it off was a stupid squirrel, in the middle of the night.

I'm interested to hear about other owners' security measures. Presently I have to park my motorcycles outside in the driveway and only have a cover to keep people guessing. I'm looking for ideas to improve security, and am curious to hear about specific types of locks, cameras, alarms, etc. that others are using.

Mine is locked away, but you're doing something good with the cover as it's somewhat hidden. Try and invest in a good thick cable lock that you can loop through one of the wheels and around some immovable object such as a metal pole or tree.

We're fortunate to have a garage as well. The car and truck never go in during the summer and one bay is reserved just for the bikes. Winter, they are strategically parked to allow both vehicles in as well. :tup:

Security

I live in the rural Texas Hill Country, no gang-bangers and no bad guy wannabees.

My bike has a disc lock on the front wheel and is usually covered when not being ridden but that is for protection from the elements (UV).

I have a wireless network camera focused on the bike and it sets off an audible alert if there is motion near the bike. My dumb neighbor has set it off at 3am a couple of times when he crossed the camera line of sight when going out for cigarettes.

Texas Law inhibits motorcycle theft.

The law says, quite plainly, that I may choose to use "deadly force" to prevent the loss of my property if I feel I may not be able to recover it. Day or night.

I'll tell you quite plainly, if someone attempts to steal my motorcycle; I don't think I will be able to recover it.

About 16 years ago while doing a "stint" in law enforcement, I secured my bike using one of these..........
right_5946.jpg

Now these days long gone from that job, I use a more docile way to secure my bike. I use one of these that go through the rear and through a 8" Eye Bolt that is cemented into the concrete floor of the garage. Aside from that I have a motion activated wireless alarm, as well as a Night Vision w/ Audio Color Wireless Camera that I can see in the house.
cable-902_large.jpg

I do not have the luxury of a garage. However, my back yard which is all gated up has a very large patio. Large enough that I was able to build a shed on it in the corner. The shed is basically a small garage, as the floor is concrete. Two doors so I can fit my FZ1 and my Ninja 500 (Bought it for the girl) in there easily. Ran power to it as well so I can use battery tenders and lights.

Can be a little bit of a PITA rolling them in and out around the patio furniture every day, but its worth it to me. I like them being completely out of sight and behind the house. Plus it locks.

Mine stays in the garage -- though every now and then it gets left in the driveway for some reason or another... whenever that happens just the steering is locked.

Currently in the alarmed garage with PTZ Night Camera recording motion to wireless NAS storage.
However, previous residence & bike…Had Kryptonite New York disc lock & 2 of their large chains. Through the chassis & around a lamp pole in my parking space.
Maybe a chain through the FZ dog bone bracket to something stationary, boxing it in with vehicles, etc. Just try to make it as much of a hassle or risk for anyone with bad intentions.

I also used plan B for extended vacations. :laugh2:
DSC00155.jpg

garage secured sometimes, and now that it is at my residence in the city i use the bar lock and a rotor lock with a big cover over the whole bike and park it in the front of my designated parking space in the back of my place. my car, with the cars next to it provide a "boxed in" situation. kind of a pain in the ass when i want to ride and the people paring next to me are still home, but at night when the cars are there it makes it very secure and would be near impossible (nothing is impossible when it comes to bike thieves) to swipe. when i want to ride i just back my car out, pull the bike out and pull my car back in.

Cars will not stop a competent theif. That situation is easily remedied with a floor jack and a couple wheel dollies. However, any deterant is better than none!

Bike is parked in garage next to my Yamaha Nytro snowmobile. Every winter same conversation with wife.....why do I have to have my car outside in -40C scraping windows blah blah blah.......She just not get it that garages are for toys not vechicles.
Sheeeeesh

Back