I'm too damn short for my fz1n. My options?

mrjessehlee

hey hey guys again,

I have been loving my new fz1n done about 1000km on in since last week when I purchased it 2nd hand.

I come from xj6n and the seat height is meant to be the same but this one seems a lot heavier. Mainly because it IS a lot heavier but I think previous owner has made some adjustments. He was a very tall chap.

What are my options as to lowering this baby so it wont absolutely destroy the handling? I ride every day to work and pretty keen weekend rider, (putty rd, wisemans ferry etc etc ) all around sydney.

I think if I can get it lowered good 5cm I will be able to touch the ground with both feet flat.

What are my options?

I was thinking about lowering the forks from the tripletree and adjust the rear shock too.

would this be enough or would I need the lowering kit?

and are there alternative options?

What are the pros and cons of doing this to the bike and has anybody has gone through this before?

any comments would be appreciated! Thanks peeps!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I have 29" inseam and I can't put both feet flat on the ground either, and the location of the foot pegs don't help, they sit right where one would like to drop their foot onto the ground. But coming to a stop I just lean very slightly one way or the other depending on the road and put that foot flatly on the ground. Never had an issue balancing or controlling the machine, it's really a matter of just being confident. The FZ1 is a relatively heavy bike but imminently controllable. Being able to put both feet flatly on the ground is a nice goal but not really achievable on a stock bike unless you have 30"+ inseam.

Last edited:
im between 29-30" inseam and I cannot flat foot both feet, but easily front half of each foot.

Never had a problem

Me too. I lowered my bike slightly when I did my suspension upgrades but it was purely unintentional. As I understand it, you have to adjust the front forks to match whatever it is you do to the back to do "correct" lowering. I'm fine as long as I can get one foot down solidly. It might look funny but :stunta]:

I also have a 29" inseam along with a 190/55 rear tire. I have my Vortex rearsets all the way up and back which lets me put my legs straight down. I always shift my butt over to the left and use just my left foot, and I can sit comfortably with just that foot flat.

hey hey guys again,

I have been loving my new fz1n done about 1000km on in since last week when I purchased it 2nd hand.

I come from xj6n and the seat height is meant to be the same but this one seems a lot heavier. Mainly because it IS a lot heavier but I think previous owner has made some adjustments. He was a very tall chap.

What are my options as to lowering this baby so it wont absolutely destroy the handling? I ride every day to work and pretty keen weekend rider, (putty rd, wisemans ferry etc etc ) all around sydney.

I think if I can get it lowered good 5cm I will be able to touch the ground with both feet flat.

What are my options?

I was thinking about lowering the forks from the tripletree and adjust the rear shock too.

would this be enough or would I need the lowering kit?

and are there alternative options?

What are the pros and cons of doing this to the bike and has anybody has gone through this before?

any comments would be appreciated! Thanks peeps!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
I have a lowering link approx 35mm drop, solid link stronger than the ajustable one`s,had it made from cycleoneoff , I only wanted it 15mm lower but they made a mistake and it would lower it approx 35mm but never tried it. It`s your`s if you want it for $50 including post.You would need to slide your front forks up approx the same distance.

Last edited:
I don't know about you folks I also have a 29 inch inseam. I have never owned a motorcycle that allowed me to sit on it and have my feet touch flat. On top of that, my FZ1 is raised with the Penske. It helps that my rear-sets move the pegs out of the way.

My inseam is 29". My previous bike was much lower, so the FZ1 took some getting used to. To me, the matter of just barely touching the ground - increases the chance of a "tipover" in the driveway, etc.

I raised my front forks by 10 mm up into the triple trees. Also, I weigh 155 so I changed the rear shock setting to position #1, instead of the factory setting of #3. Both these actions lower the bike.

When coming to a stop, I wait until I am just barely moving and then place my feet forward of the pegs. Then while stopped, I move them to behind the pegs to be ready to start off. Hope this helps.

I don't know about you folks I also have a 29 inch inseam. I have never owned a motorcycle that allowed me to sit on it and have my feet touch flat. On top of that, my FZ1 is raised with the Penske. It helps that my rear-sets move the pegs out of the way.

I also have a 29" inseam was going to lower mine a little, but went back from 190-55 to the standard 190-50 rear tyre and slid the forks up 12mm,I scrape my toesliders:D when pushing it through the twisties so glad I did`nt decide to lower it.

I am at a 29" inseem and don't have difficulty. I do not sit 100% flatfooted though. Typically my left is flat and my right has the heal off the group. I switch is around at red lights when I know I am about to take off though.

Back