Installed the Gen I 16T sprocket on the Gen II

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
Finally got the time to do this today. I have to say, it was NOT easy to get that damn nut off the shaft! I flattened out the lock washer and then ran the air-powered impact wrench, tried the bike in gear with a hardwood pole stuck in the wheel and broke the damned oak! I bent a pipe on the breaker bar... Finally, I took out the micro torch and heated only the nut. After getting it VERY warm but not hot, the impact wrench finally spun the nut off. WHEW!

Here are some pics of the event.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sorry but I did not get a pic after cleaning the sprocket area and with the new sprocket installed but the above pic shows the level of cleaning I had to do!

No, it started raining a bit after I took the last outdoor shot and I was just too tired to get geared up and test it. I'll test it later this week when I am fresh!

So, I now drive a hybrid! Gen I & Gen II !!! :D

No, it started raining a bit after I took the last outdoor shot and I was just too tired to get geared up and test it. I'll test it later this week when I am fresh!

So, I now drive a hybrid! Gen I & Gen II !!! :D

Cool! I can't wait to hear what you think. I'm actually going 16/45 this time around. I'm putting an order together this week for all my front end parts and rear driveline parts. Fork seals and everything that goes with that and a 16t front and 45 rear with a new X-Ring Chain.

What size is the stock Gen I rear sprocket? Will this new combo be geared up or down? Sounds like you'll have a BUSY weekend coming up! :D

I'll give you the butt dyno report as soon as weather here permits!

I've pretty much got the wife convinced to get a pair of the SpeedoDRD speedometer healers. I cited the fact that we are "putting more miles on the bike's instrument panel than we physically drive."

Question? Was it a real b#tch to get the nut off? can you get it off without a impact wrench? My 16t sprocket turned up today I am keen to get her on and see the difference. Another question is the sprocket the same as the R1 sprocket?

Last edited by a moderator:
What size is the stock Gen I rear sprocket? Will this new combo be geared up or down? Sounds like you'll have a BUSY weekend coming up! :D

I'll give you the butt dyno report as soon as weather here permits!

I've pretty much got the wife convinced to get a pair of the SpeedoDRD speedometer healers. I cited the fact that we are "putting more miles on the bike's instrument panel than we physically drive."

The stock rear is a 44t. So I guess I'll be gearing down. It will be the same gearing as yours with the 16t front. I just want a little bit more pep down low off the line. Some may say to just go to a 46t in the back but I'm gonna try the 45t first. The rear is not all that much money so in the future I may try the 46t.

Question? Was it a real b#tch to get the nut off? can you get it off without a impact wrench? My 16t sprocket turned up today I am keen to get her on and see the difference. Another question is the sprocket the same as the R1 sprocket?

It was a total b*tch to get that nut off. I had a brand new 500 ft lb impact wrench, new 36mm socket and 5.5 SCFM pushing the gun. It would not break loose until I applied heat from the micro torch to just the nut. Once I got it VERY warm but not hot, the impact wrench was able to spin it off.

I tried manual labor on it and broke an oak pole in the spoke of the wheel, then on the next try, bent a pipe on the breaker bar.

Heat was the answer. :D

It was a total b*tch to get that nut off. I had a brand new 500 ft lb impact wrench, new 36mm socket and 5.5 SCFM pushing the gun. It would not break loose until I applied heat from the micro torch to just the nut. Once I got it VERY warm but not hot, the impact wrench was able to spin it off.

I tried manual labor on it and broke an oak pole in the spoke of the wheel, then on the next try, bent a pipe on the breaker bar.

Heat was the answer. :D

At least you can feel confident that the front sprocket will never come flying off while your riding!

At least you can feel confident that the front sprocket will never come flying off while your riding!

Absolutely! That lock washer they devised is effective too. Once the nut it tight and you bend that into place? There is no backing out.

All this did not go without injury too. I pinched my right index finger, the meat right at the tip, REALLY hard. Painful still today. Blood blister and a deep bruise all around it. Of course, this means it all went perfect and the Gods are happy with my sacrificial pain. :D

Also, it just figures... I had another mod ordered and thought it might make it before the weekend but it didn't. Well, it arrived at work today! So, a little more work and some pics to come on another night this week. ;)

Yup! Gotta keep you all in suspense! Of course, I had already mentioned what was coming many posts ago so I was seeing who had paid attention and noticed it wasn't installed this past weekend. ;)

ll install this summer:
Copperdog speed screen
Copperdog Strike Seat Cowl
Copperdog 4 piece blinker pods
Evotech Exhaust hanger
Graves FE Kit
Possibly heavy Throttlemeisters

No I gotta go and see what you don't have yet! I'm on the case!!!:nana:

ll install this summer:
Copperdog speed screen
Copperdog Strike Seat Cowl
Copperdog 4 piece blinker pods
Evotech Exhaust hanger
Graves FE Kit
Possibly heavy Throttlemeisters

No I gotta go and see what you don't have yet! I'm on the case!!!:nana:

Good job Billy! Nice police work! :D Well, we know the Copperdog stuff will not be here for about 5 - 6 weeks... so that leaves the other three. I did mention ordering one of them! ;) Which one?

I'm leaning heavy on the Graves Kit with the Throttlemiester coming in second.

:surrender: Nope... neither. It is the Evotech exhaust hanger. :D It arrived from the UK today. What a sweet piece of work that little bracket is!

Say goodbye to the pillion brackets and pegs! :tup:

Back