It's about that time

Well my friends, I'm preparing myself for changing the chain and sprocket, they are just starting to look a bit worn. Anyone have experience with the RK chain and sprocket kit on eBay? It includes 16 tooth, 45 tooth and 520 chain, all steel. I know some of you are awesome search monkeys, anyone have recommendations? Any tips before I take on this task? Other then buy the new washer for the front sprocket?
Thanks!

I don't have any experience with RK. On another note and some will disagree. I would stay with the 530. With a big motor the add life span of the chain out weighs the weight advantage of the 520.

Oh another thing the 16/46 has caused some handling issues on my 09 so be careful.

RK

I have run RK Racing chains (520 X ring) on my old FZ 600 in the past, and that is what is on it now. No problems and good quality material.

Should not be an issue. Just be sure you get one that requires riveting and not the clip-on master link. The torque and HP of the FZ1 is too much to rely on a clip.

@ jotr, can you elaborate on the handling issues, please?

I went to the 520 kit, and never looked back... the only issue with a lot of the kits on eBay is that they come with an aluminum rear sprocket.... I personally didn't have very goo luck with the AL rear sprocket, and a buddy of mine bought the same kit with the vortex AL sprocket, and had the same results I did... about 6k on he rear sprocket, and it was trash....

I'm still running the 520 setup, but now, I run nothing but the Stealth rear sprocket... it has an aluminum carrier, with steel teeth.... I've had good luck with that set up....

Unfortunately yes. If you have a cycle gear near you they have a special going on for a chain breaker/riveter 29.99 with a purchase. I can comment on the quality but these are usually around $100.00.

520 has 1/4" wide Rollers where as 530 has 3/8". The 520 is a lot lighter, which is important on a bike. Chain weight is considered drivetrain loss. You may not notice much though, but it is there.

It is definitely heavier but how much is discernible. The chain is stronger and supposably less prone to stretch. I have 9000 mi on my stock chain and other than replacing the sprocket to get the 16/46, I've only had to adjust it once. Mind you I am fanatical about lubing and cleaning. Regular maintenance on a chain will lengthen its life span considerably.

It is definitely heavier but how much is discernible. The chain is stronger and supposably less prone to stretch. I have 9000 mi on my stock chain and other than replacing the sprocket to get the 16/46, I've only had to adjust it once. Mind you I am fanatical about lubing and cleaning. Regular maintenance on a chain will lengthen its life span considerably.

I'm fanatical as well, and except for the 16 tooth the rest is stock still at 15000. I have a little while still, but noticed my back sprocket is wearing a little, and heard I should change the whole shebang at once.

520 has 1/4" wide Rollers where as 530 has 3/8". The 520 is a lot lighter, which is important on a bike. Chain weight is considered drivetrain loss. You may not notice much though, but it is there.

Ok, so we are going down from a 530 to a 520 thus saving a little weight? I assume there would be greater wear with less surface area contact between chain and sprocket. Anyone have any metrics on performance increase in chain conversion?

Last edited:
I skimmed the thread so sorry if this is double info.

I just did my very first ever in my life sprocket/chain change. I rushed down to cycle gear and got the stockton tool kit mentioned for $29 along with a new can of bike spirits. (I wanted chain cleaner but I just couldn't pay another $9 for what is essentially kerosene in a spray can. Fool me once...)

I ordered my chain kit from sprocket center. I got the rk 530xso chain after months of research revealed it's the best bang for the buck. It comes with a black superlite sprocket.
DSCF4642.JPG

Using that chain tool is really easy once you get used to it. There's a motionpro video on youtube about breaking a chain with a similar tool that I watched before I started because the reviews on the chain tool complain about bad instructions. Watch that it really helps!
Motion Pro - Quality Motorcycle Cables, Tools and Controls

The chain kit does not come with that $10 (from the stealer) locking washer so you'll have to remember to get that before you break the chain (unlike me who remembered after when all I had was the bike to go anywhere).

I went to the yamaha demo the day after and while I was at the dealer I got the lock washer and the service guy to check my chain install. I forgot to measure the pins before I pressed the rivets and I wanted to be sure I'd gotten it and the chain slack right. He said I did great then asked if I wanted a job!

In the end, I decided to stay with the stock sizes and the 530 chain. I'm ignorant enough to be happy with the gearing as it is and I decided the chain life expected with good care of the 530 chain outweighed any benefits of switching to a 520 kit. I also decided to go with a kit rather than purchasing everything piecemeal so I didn't have to do more months of research to learn who made the best sprockets.

Here's my rear sprocket and new chain:
DSCF4658.JPG

Yep, I'm proud of myself. I probably wouldn't've done it alone without the knowledge I've gained from reading these forums. Y'all make me believe I can do anything so I'm going to teardown and rebuild my vx800 this fall (after I do the r1 frontend conversion and fzr6 rear shock upgrade).

Last edited:
I skimmed the thread so sorry if this is double info.

I just did my very first ever in my life sprocket/chain change. I rushed down to cycle gear and got the stockton tool kit mentioned for $29 along with a new can of bike spirits. (I wanted chain cleaner but I just couldn't pay another $9 for what is essentially kerosene in a spray can. Fool me once...)

I ordered my chain kit from sprocket center. I got the rk 530xso chain after months of research revealed it's the best bang for the buck. It comes with a black superlite sprocket.
DSCF4642.JPG

Using that chain tool is really easy once you get used to it. There's a motionpro video on youtube about breaking a chain with a similar tool that I watched before I started because the reviews on the chain tool complain about bad instructions. Watch that it really helps!
Motion Pro - Quality Motorcycle Cables, Tools and Controls

The chain kit does not come with that $10 (from the stealer) locking washer so you'll have to remember to get that before you break the chain (unlike me who remembered after when all I had was the bike to go anywhere).

I went to the yamaha demo the day after and while I was at the dealer I got the lock washer and the service guy to check my chain install. I forgot to measure the pins before I pressed the rivets and I wanted to be sure I'd gotten it and the chain slack right. He said I did great then asked if I wanted a job!

In the end, I decided to stay with the stock sizes and the 530 chain. I'm ignorant enough to be happy with the gearing as it is and I decided the chain life expected with good care of the 530 chain outweighed any benefits of switching to a 520 kit. I also decided to go with a kit rather than purchasing everything piecemeal so I didn't have to do more months of research to learn who made the best sprockets.

Here's my rear sprocket and new chain:
DSCF4658.JPG

Yep, I'm proud of myself. I probably wouldn't've done it alone without the knowledge I've gained from reading these forums. Y'all make me believe I can do anything so I'm going to teardown and rebuild my vx800 this fall (after I do the r1 frontend conversion and fzr6 rear shock upgrade).

I like that black sprocket.

I liked it a lot better once I got it on the bike. I don't remember if I knew the sprocket would be black when I ordered it but I was glad when I saw it!

Superlite rear sprockets are the lightest all steel rear sprocket on the market today. These are induction hardened and tempered to produce exactly the correct hardness for durability and efficient power delivery.

All Superlite rears are black in color.

Back