It's finally been done.

drclarksmith

I finally modded the airbox, installed the BMC, installed the throttle body plates, blocked off the air induction system, intalled the Fuel cutoff eliminator, gutted the cat, and finally re-mapped her for all of the following. I changed the oil/filter and had the Bridgestone BT016's put on a few weeks ago too.

Can't wait to go ride on Laborday weekend!

OK now I'm no motorcycle mechanic, nor did I have the best tools for the job (especially gutting the cat) I used a screwdriver, but I was able to do all of this in about 7-8 hours.

I was wondering if that is a decent amount of time to do all that, or was i EXTREMELY slow?

Let me know your opinions.

It was raining hard yesterday so, even though I had to ride it, wasn't able to get on it really.

That sounds more than reasonable... much like you took your time and was careful, didn't rush, and made sure the job was done precisely. I don't think it was slow at all! The FCE and flies alone are a 3 hour job if you're being careful.

Nice work! Waiting for your ride report now... :D

Did you put in a downloaded map and if so, who's map did you select?

I have done most of those mods myself, but didn't do them at once and really didn't keep track of the time it took me. Your time spent seems reasonable. One big advantage to doing them all at once is that you only have to remove the gas tank and airbox once. Oh and the flies were actually a 20 minute job for me. Couldn't believe how easily the stock ones came out using the right technique!

Nice. It didn't seem like the bike got much louder though? I figured more air means more noise. I gutted the Cat too. But I guess I'm gonna have to shorten my pipe a bit. It's really long anyways. I just want people to know I'm around for safety reasons, not so much for annoyance purposes.

Well I did notice that the intake noise went up considerably when I did the airbox w/ BMC filter mod. However, I like the noise around 4k RPM. Let's me know it's time to shift when riding at a slow pace w/o looking at the tach :D. By the way what kind of slip-on do you have?

I have done most of those mods myself, but didn't do them at once and really didn't keep track of the time it took me. Your time spent seems reasonable. One big advantage to doing them all at once is that you only have to remove the gas tank and airbox once. Oh and the flies were actually a 20 minute job for me. Couldn't believe how easily the stock ones came out using the right technique!

Did you use the pencil torch to melt the thread locker?

I'm going to do the flies after I park the bike for the winter. I might just order a set of Copperdog's flies and ask if he wants mine in return so he can shape and sell them.

Nope. Just used a brand new #0 Phillips screw driver and tapped on the top of the screw driver handle with a small rubber mallet as I was twisting it counter clockwise. They loosened right up. I couldn't believe how easy they came out after I had read all those horror stories of stripped screws.

Yep, mine came out no issues at all. Quick hit with a MAPP gas torch and a good screwdriver was all she needed. Bottom line is some people just weren't cut out to turn wrenches or are using the wrong tool for the job, hence some of these horror stories.

Yep, mine came out no issues at all. Quick hit with a MAPP gas torch and a good screwdriver was all she needed. Bottom line is some people just weren't cut out to turn wrenches or are using the wrong tool for the job, hence some of these horror stories.

Couldn't agree more...

I'm going to do the flies after I park the bike for the winter. I might just order a set of Copperdog's flies and ask if he wants mine in return so he can shape and sell them.
Yes, and don't think for a minute that it can be done without heating it. I just did it with the blowtorch and it worked out perfectly. No porblems, but be patient with it, I had to reheat a few of the screws to get them loose. But all came out with a #0 Phillips.

Yes, and don't think for a minute that it can be done without heating it. I just did it with the blowtorch and it worked out perfectly. No porblems, but be patient with it, I had to reheat a few of the screws to get them loose. But all came out with a #0 Phillips.

I guess everybody's experience is different. Mine came out w/o using any heat. The tapping on the screwdriver handle while at the same time trying to turn it just broke them lose. Could be that mine didn't have that much threadlock applied from the factory :confused0024:

I guess everybody's experience is different. Mine came out w/o using any heat. The tapping on the screwdriver handle while at the same time trying to turn it just broke them lose. Could be that mine didn't have that much threadlock applied from the factory :confused0024:

Could be. I guess one could (gently) try the tap method and apply heat if it doesn't break loose. I can tell you that when I do change them out, it will be with a new #0 driver from a reputable dealer...

Tony, did you use Ivan's or Copperdog's plates? Wife just bought me a new bench grinder! :D So, I might just turn them down myself. :thewave:

Could be. I guess one could (gently) try the tap method and apply heat if it doesn't break loose. I can tell you that when I do change them out, it will be with a new #0 driver from a reputable dealer...

Tony, did you use Ivan's or Copperdog's plates? Wife just bought me a new bench grinder! :D So, I might just turn them down myself. :thewave:

I used a brand new Craftman's #0 screwdriver. I used Ivan's because I didn't even know anybody else was making them...oh well. I guess you can try grinding down the stockers after tracing a smaller circle on them. Wish I could give you the dimensions of the one's I installed, but I didn't measure them.

No problem! I think that in Copperdog's video, he specified the amount he removed. I'll have to watch it again before I attempt it. I like Pat's better than Ivans because Pat leaves ears on it for stabilty and alignment.

Thanks!

No problem! I think that in Copperdog's video, he specified the amount he removed. I'll have to watch it again before I attempt it. I like Pat's better than Ivans because Pat leaves ears on it for stabilty and alignment.

Thanks!

Well they were a tight fit onto the shaft so aligning them was not a big deal, but I guess ears would make it some what easier.

Ok, I just got this 09 FZ1 couple weeks ago and i pulled the front fairings off to fix the buz and decided i'd go ahead and take a look under the tank while i was at it. I found out that one of the previous owners did the air box mod and bmc filter. Thats nice, i don't have to do it now. However, I also see that he totally removed the sub throttle flys. He didn't mod em, he ditched them. Now I'm wondering what else has been done cause I'm still not lifting off in first. It has a 2bros carbon slip on and a 2bros juicebox that i've been playing around without much a clue as to whether its too lean or rich...whatever. Now wondering a couple things:

first, should i get some moded flys to put in there or leave em as is?
Second, how can I tell if the cat has been gutted? I cant find a forum article to show how to do It. Any pointers?

There's a lot of arguments about whether the flies should be tied, reduced or removed and you'll find both an advocate and a devil's advocate for each. It's certainly not going to hurt you to leave them off and I think you'll actually notice a small decrease in performance if you move from no flies to modified flies.

To see if the CAT is gutted, you can remove the 2Bros and the pipe attached to the header (two bolts: The one attached to the pillion bracket and the clamp at the header). At that point, you should be able to look into the end of the header and see either a gaping hole (gutted) or be faced with a metalic honey-comb meaning the CAT is still intact.

Keep in mind that the inline fours are not hole-shot prone bikes. These are more high-rev and top-end bikes. What you might be trying to compare this to is a big V-Twin with a lot of torque that gets off the line standing up. You CAN do this with the FZ1, you just need to adjust throttle-to-hand coordination before the light turns green. :D

Back