Just got my first FZ1!!!!

torquewhore

Hello everyone!

I'm super pumped I just purchased my first naked bike. Here is what I've had in order (starting at age 16)

92 (I think) FZR600 - my first bike and I loved it
96 GSXR 750 amazing machine - i got it used in '99
01 GSXR 1000 (my first off-showroom bike - got stolen 6 monthst later :(
03 GSXR 1000 (my second off-showroom bike - got stolen 1 year later :(
99 GSXR 750 (to hold me over till I paid off my stolen bikes)
01 GSXR 1000 (this one was kind of beat up but was a good bike)
01 CBR 929 RR (great bike got it because it was 1 owner and I paid 3700
07 FZ1

I sold my CBR for $4500 (i made $700!!) and the next day I found this 07 FZ1 listed for $5500. I went to take a look at it - it had obviously been down but it had frame sliders that took most of the damage. I didn't notice till the test ride that the forks were tweaked. I talked them down to below $5000 and was out the door for $5220 after TT&L whoo hoo!!

I just straightened the forks out by loosening all the pinch bolts, aligning bars and wheel, then tightening everything back. Works perfectly now.

This bike has what I believe to be the Micron GP exhaust can which looks AMAZING and sounds good although it is a little too loud for my taste. The can got scratched when it went down. I think I want to take the Micron plate off and have the can powder coated flat black to hide the scratches. Do any of y'all have experience with powder coating exhaust cans? Will it hold up to the heat?

The bike sputters and backfires when decelerating - kind of annoying but also kind of cool. I have read on the forums that the airbox mods and AIS plugs will fix this?

First thing I noticed when switching from an all out sportbike is COMFORT!!! I never thought I would say I didn't want a balls out fast bike in trade for comfort but I guess old age really will do it to you (even though I'm only 27). I have been riding sportbikes everyday for more than 10 years and after a while it kills your wrists and back and everything else. It was to the point I didn't even enjoy riding anymore but now I look forward to jumping on my fazer at any chance possible (even in this 104 degree heat).

Second thing is performance - I notice the weight right away. Where my sportbikes would be pulling power wheelies with ease my FZ1 takes quite a goosing to get the front end up. I know this is because these bikes are so heavy so weight reduction is my first priority.

I definitely want to remove what looks like the super heavy center stand. I feel like a super dork driving around with that clunky thing hanging off my bike. Might as well put lead weights in the trunk!

Whatever loser had the bike last wired the aftermarket/integrated taillight blinkers incorrectly and the right blinker is partially illuminated all the time and it gets brighter when I hit the brakes. I'll have to go through that soon but it's not very pressing.

My rear brake lever is bent from the crash. It looks like it made of steel so i'm just gonna pull it off and bend it back while it's in the vise - any advice on this technique?

Looking forward to chatting with other FZ1 owners!

Please check out pics of my new bike:

Picasa Web Albums - Erich - FZ1

I just straightened the forks out by loosening all the pinch bolts, aligning bars and wheel, then tightening everything back. Works perfectly now.]

Wow that worked out well for you!

This bike has what I believe to be the Micron GP exhaust can which looks AMAZING and sounds good although it is a little too loud for my taste. The can got scratched when it went down. I think I want to take the Micron plate off and have the can powder coated flat black to hide the scratches. Do any of y'all have experience with powder coating exhaust cans? Will it hold up to the heat?

Years ago I had the outside aluminum sleve of my V&H muffler powder coated to match the bike and it held up just fine. I believe powder coat paint needs to be heated in 350-400 degree range to bond it on to the metal. I doubt the muffler will ever get that hot.

The bike sputters and backfires when decelerating - kind of annoying but also kind of cool. I have read on the forums that the airbox mods and AIS plugs will fix this?

Yes, that will take care of the popping. If you do a search you'll find plenty of info regarding that mod.

First thing I noticed when switching from an all out sportbike is COMFORT!!! I never thought I would say I didn't want a balls out fast bike in trade for comfort but I guess old age really will do it to you (even though I'm only 27). I have been riding sportbikes everyday for more than 10 years and after a while it kills your wrists and back and everything else. It was to the point I didn't even enjoy riding anymore but now I look forward to jumping on my fazer at any chance possible (even in this 104 degree heat).

I hear that! This is my first bike where the sitting position is more upright and it makes all the difference in the world. Would never get a pure sportsbike as an everyday ride again.

Second thing is performance - I notice the weight right away. Where my sportbikes would be pulling power wheelies with ease my FZ1 takes quite a goosing to get the front end up. I know this is because these bikes are so heavy so weight reduction is my first priority.

I definitely want to remove what looks like the super heavy center stand. I feel like a super dork driving around with that clunky thing hanging off my bike. Might as well put lead weights in the trunk!

Welll the issue is not so much weight, but gearing. This bike shares the transmission ratios with the R1, which as you know is about 50 lbs lighter. Drop a 16T front sprocket on there and you will see how easy it wheelies :)

I removed the stock exhaust and center stand on mine. Running a Yoshimura R-77 CF full exhaust. Probably shaved about 20 lbs of the bike. The center stand alone is about 5 lbs. You'll se how heavy it is when you remove it (I guess it has to be heavy to support the weight of the bike).

Whatever loser had the bike last wired the aftermarket/integrated taillight blinkers incorrectly and the right blinker is partially illuminated all the time and it gets brighter when I hit the brakes. I'll have to go through that soon but it's not very pressing.

Sounds like a bad ground...

My rear brake lever is bent from the crash. It looks like it made of steel so i'm just gonna pull it off and bend it back while it's in the vise - any advice on this technique?

It is steel so it should straighten out just fine. Just take your time and do it only a little at a time.

Looking forward to chatting with other FZ1 owners!

Please check out pics of my new bike:

Picasa Web Albums - Erich - FZ1

Welcome aboard. Plenty of info around here. Bike looks good :D

Yo Torquey. Welcome to the suck m8.

These bikes are real nice. Sounds like you've been unlucky with the bandit fraternity stealin' your wheels. Dude that's just plain rude and nasty....nothing that a 9mm wouldn't sort out though;)

I don't want to lose any top speed

You wont lose any top speed by going from the stock 17T to a 16T front sprocket. Bike wont pull to redline in 6th gear with stock gearing. Aerodynamic drag catches up to it before redline. Either way it will still do 155-157 MPH stock.

Yo Torquey. Welcome to the suck m8.

These bikes are real nice. Sounds like you've been unlucky with the bandit fraternity stealin' your wheels. Dude that's just plain rude and nasty....nothing that a 9mm wouldn't sort out though;)

I tend to stick with .45 or bigger for handguns and believe me I would have had dead men on my conscious if I had the chance.

AIS Block

Just performed the AIS mod and the popping stopped. Thanks for all users who posted info on this forum and the other one with that useful info.

I used a large electrical nut connector thingy which fit very snugly into the house, then clamped that down with a hose clamp. I put old bicycle tire around the hose clamp for protection and then hooked everything back up to the airbox.

Definitely am thinking about doing the airbox mod... I wonder why Yamaha engineers designed the box with such little airflow in the first place? I can't imagine it would have been that difficult to have ram air on these but I guess the engineers had to keep costs down for this model since it lists for so much less than an R1.

Now I just need to find money for new tires.

welcome to the forum, but I caution you to go increasing the air flow w/o having a PCIII onboard. You'll probably end up creating an environment that will affect performance if you go increasing airflow without the PCIII to correct.

I'm a Gen I owner, so I don't know all the in/outs, but the more I see what can be done.....darkside maybe....??

You wont lose any top speed by going from the stock 17T to a 16T front sprocket. Bike wont pull to redline in 6th gear with stock gearing. Aerodynamic drag catches up to it before redline. Either way it will still do 155-157 MPH stock.

I did this awhile back.

Back