Keepin' Austin Weird

So about ten years ago the whole "Keep Austin Weird" thing started. I guess the hippies were feeling gentrified or something. Well the whole thing is rather contrived and dumb. Regardless, today I ate my words. As my wife and I were driving down 360 we saw this dude. We'd seen him once before, so I flipped a U and we circled back around for this photo. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.

View attachment 4316

He even made the newspaper on the 13th. http://www.statesman.com/news/local/mysterious-2222-bike-rider-is-missing-a-pair-963370.html

Last edited:
Austin is a bit of a freak show. ....but I love it. Should be out there at least one day later this week. Now, if there were not so many homeless there. Sad for them but you can't walk 5 feet without someone bothering you.

I love Austin. Came up here in the early '70's for the lakes and the music scene, moved here for college and never left. I love that some kook can bicycle nearly naked and few get upset about it. The homeless are a reality. As sad as it is, I like living in a place where that's not hidden from me. Not a mile or two from where Hellgate took that pic, I chatted with a Vietnam vet with Parkinsons Disease every morning at a stoplight (it's easy to do on a bike). Roger would occasionally disappear for a few days when he got a temp job. When construction started at the intersection a while back, he disappeared. I wonder if he's OK.

Dont worry, I dont look that good in a thong...but I am keeping Austin weird on a daily basis. It strange though, you drive 20 miles out of the city of Austin, and you are back in Texas, where they dont appreciate 'weird' anymore.

Well, I was born and lived my whole life in Texas. Austin feels just right...unless I move to Portland, Vancouver, Seattle, Madison, Ashville...etc. Does that mean I'm not a real Texan?

Back