Keyless Gas Cap Install

Billy I can see a section where the gasket is not sitting in the grove like it should. You may have to trim it a little more somewhere. From what I remember it took a couple of tries before the gasket fit nicely all around the perimeter when bolted down.

Billy I can see a section where the gasket is not sitting in the grove like it should. You may have to trim it a little more somewhere. From what I remember it took a couple of tries before the gasket fit nicely all around the perimeter when bolted down.

Your absolutely right Tony. I had removed and reinstalled it about 4 or five times, adjusting it as I went along. Thats why I'm going to remove it tomorrow and make the holes large enough so that the nuts from the "dummy" screws are not holding the gasket in place. That way it will sit uniform around the entire cap. I just had so many other things to get done today, I didn't want to waste the entire day in the garage. Tomorrow after work she'll be done right!

Looks much better with the gasket in place Billy. I really like the looks of the black on black so I'm glad you were able to use it. :tup: Nice!!

I found this "badboy" at work today which will make short work of making uniform holes in the stock rubber gasket. As soon as I'm home I'll get it done with pictures!

3/8" Steel Punch
Picture001.jpg

Alrighty! I ran downstairs early this morning to get this gas cap done once and for all. Armed with my new 3/8" Steel Punch, I made quick work of it. Boy! When you have the "right tools" it makes the job so much easier!

This was the issue with the gasket. Because I actually attached both the gasket and cap together, the rubber was warped after tightening the "dummy screws" down.
IMG_0831.jpg

It was bothering the heck out of me even though it was a minor issue. I figured that enlarging the holes and letting the gasket just lay between the tank and cap would fix the problem. I went over the holes I originally drilled and hit each with the punch, putting a 3/8" hole in the gasket.
IMG_0832.jpg

After the four holes were punched out, the nuts that held the dummy screws should now sit centered in the gasket.
IMG_0833.jpg

I tightened down the dummy screws and tested the fit which now looked like it would be fine.
IMG_0834.jpg

I laid the cap in place on the tank and applied downward pressure to the cap and there was no disfiguring of the gasket so I bolted her down for hopefully the last time. I was happy to see that it now looks "factory" just like Tony's cap. I'm happy with the result and now I can go and fill the tank!..........as soon as the temp gets over 32 degrees that is.

So here is the "Before" shot....
IMG_0831.jpg

And here's how she sits now.....
IMG_0837.jpg

Thanks Tony for the original post which gave me the idea in the first place. It definitely looks better than no gasket at all.:tup:

Thanks buddy! Having the proper tools always makes things easier. While I'm happy with the outcome, I pissed that we can't seem to get above 35 degrees again! WTH! Next Sunday is supposed to be up in the 50's. Man, last year according to my records, (yes, I keep records), I was already riding from March 7th, and that was up on the mountain! I missed the Mega Millions by just 4 numbers this past week. There are 5 numbers for those of you who don't play. I got 1 lousy number out of ten games played. I'm getting closer! As soon as I hit, my first order of business is to find the ideal riding spot and plopping a house on top of it!

I hear ya! We were out working on my daughter's car most of the day and FREEZING! Still realizing myself what tools I'm lacking and working on getting them purchased. :D

Looks really great and I hope we can all get out and ride soon! I'm hoping to have her bike together on Saturday and if Sunday holds up, getting in a ride on the pair of FZ1s!

Keyed gas caps are for more than what someone may take out. I'd be more worried about what someone might put in and that only takes a few seconds to dump crap in that can mess with the fuel injection and eventually the motor. An entire tank full of gas is only about $15 or less but a motor is a whole lot more and much harder to replace.

:+1: Have to agree. Nice job on the mod, but I'll stick with locking system.

Last edited:
Back