Keyless Gas Cap Install

I need to call Roaring Toyz today to see if the stock rubber gasket is meant to be reused. I didn't install mine with the gasket as there wasn't any instructions provided to tell me so. They did however, call me back about the vent and yes, the little plug as Tony said does get press fit into the tank first and is "sandwiched" between the tank and cap.

The weather has been crappy all over this winter. I was down in Rockport, TX for January and February and January was the pits. I'm back in Michigan now and last year the ground was bare and it was starting to warm up at this time. It's been snowing like crazy for about twelve hours now and even the snowmobilers are asking for warm weather.

I freaking LOVE THAT!

I however would be very nervous with someone being able to put something into my tank.. I wonder if I can just get my stock setup powder coated?

I freaking LOVE THAT!

I however would be very nervous with someone being able to put something into my tank.. I wonder if I can just get my stock setup powder coated?

You can but it is a real pain in the arse to get that all into parts ready for coating. How about a Faux CF kit for it? Yamaha FZ1 Accessories, Yamaha FZ1 Fuel Cap Accent

gyt-5sl49-28-cf-inset-500.jpg

I just got off the phone with Roaring Toyz and they assured me that their gas cap kit doesn't retain the stock rubber gasket from the stock cap. They said however that if you want to modify it for use with their cap such as Tony has done, it's okay to do so. I may go that route.

I can't seem to find one of those stickers for the stock tank cap in black, only carbon like FZ1NH posted. I personally hate CF, so that is a no go. Wish they made them in black!!!! :(

Why is everyone so paranoid about someone putting things in your tank? Do you all buy locking gas caps on your cars? Just curious....

I am like Tony and Billy, rarely ever is my bike anywhere where this would be a concern. Garage kept and I usually have a tank bag strapped down for longer trips.

I freaking LOVE THAT!

I'd be more concerned with having someone put something in the engine through the oil fill...and yet no one sells a locking oil cap. Don't worry so much and I guess don't piss anybody off so they wont have a reason to put anything in your tank...lol

Rizoma sells an oil cap that has the safety wire setup for it. The oil cap I have now is very hard to undo without pliers as its just round.

I know, I've seen the ones with the safety wire, but all it takes to defeat that is some small wire snips. Look I was just saying not to worry so much I guess and just get it if you want it. I think the main purpose behind the locking gas cap is so people don't steal your gas...

I can't seem to find one of those stickers for the stock tank cap in black, only carbon like FZ1NH posted. I personally hate CF, so that is a no go. Wish they made them in black!!!! :(

Here you go. Yamaha latest model, Rascal Grafik Gas Cap Cover Black - FZ8 2011 - Yamaha - Sort by Bikes

And another... http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=21&manufacturer_ID=844&product_ID=54035&sblid_name=Keiti_Additions_Gas_Cap_Protector_with_Bolt_Holes__Black___Yamaha_Models_for_

Last edited:
Its hard to type while at work on my phone. Basically all I was saying is, I think someone would go for your gas tank before the oil. Either way, the Rizoma oil fill doesent "lock" it just makes it harder to open. The oil cap I have now is hard enough to open, as its just round.

As far as what I want.. What I REALLY want is that Rizoma gas cap.. but its 204 bucks and that is a bit insane. The one you have is sweet looking, and there is a plethora of them in the 40-60 dollar range, all non locking.

Not sure what I want to do right now, all I know is something other than what I have would look killer!

As far as what I want.. What I REALLY want is that Rizoma gas cap.. but its 204 bucks and that is a bit insane. The one you have is sweet looking, and there is a plethora of them in the 40-60 dollar range, all non locking.

Not sure what I want to do right now, all I know is something other than what I have would look killer!

I hear you. That is a bit much! You should have picked up the one that Bogie was selling. It was sweet :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't think I can just put one on there that does not lock to be honest lol. It is something that would worry me every time I am not at the bike.. Sucks beacuse I KNOW it would look killer.. Who knows, there are a few on Ebay that are nice and Anodized black, would match my bike something fierce.

Does yours thread in there, or does it push in and twist on? What brand/model is it?

Thanks!

I really don't think I can just put one on there that does not lock to be honest lol. It is something that would worry me every time I am not at the bike.. Sucks beacuse I KNOW it would look killer.. Who knows, there are a few on Ebay that are nice and Anodized black, would match my bike something fierce.

Does yours thread in there, or does it push in and twist on? What brand/model is it?

Thanks!

Mine is an Evotech one, but I don't think they make it anymore because I can't find any reference to it anywhere. I got it on eBay at a really good price last year. It was originally anodized red, but had been powder coated black so it was a perfect match. By the way the lid on mine screws on.

I took a tip from Tony and decided to reuse the original rubber gasket from the stock gas cap and incorporate it onto the new one. I was fortunate that with the design of the one that Eric sent me, I didn't have to cut too much from the gasket.

This was the reason that I had to go with the new cap in the first place.
IMG_0819.jpg

The ring's made up of cheap "pot metal" so take care whenever you decide to remove it for whatever reason. Learn by my mistake!
IMG_0820.jpg

I set the gasket into place and marked out the holes that needed to be drilled out for the "dummy screws".
IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

I then removed it and drilled the holes which would now allow the "dummy screws" to actually hold onto the gasket, making the gas cap a "one piece" unit.
IMG_0815.jpg

I then screwed the two pieces together working to keep the rubber from getting out of shape as I tightened the screws down. I had to remove it several times before I finally had the gasket sitting pretty even around the circumference of the cap. I'm still not fully happy with it and may enlarge the holes so that the rubber sits "around" the nuts to relieve the pressure on it.
IMG_0817.jpg

This was what it looked like as I finished up. I may remove it this weekend and modify it a little more. I guess every aftermarket cap is different, making each modification vary.
IMG_0818.jpg

This was the "before" shot without the gasket. I just like the way the gasket trims out the cap, making it look "cleaner".
IMG_0812.jpg

Back