Keyless Gas Cap Install

NJFZ1

So today I decided to install my keyless Evotech gas cap that I picked up on eBay a few weeks ago. I came powdercoated in black and it's a perfect match to the rest of the bike.

There are many of these caps out there for sale, but I am not sure how good the ones you see all over eBay are. I have other Evotech products on my bike (fender eliminator and muffler bracket) and they are very well made. I knew I wouldn't be disappointed with the fit and finish of the gas cap.

I had wanted to do this mod for a while since one of my pet peeves is having to open the gas cap with the key when fueling up. I probably wouldn't recommend this mod if your bike isn't garaged or spends a lot of time out of your sight as anybody can open your tank ans siphon out your fuel. Fortunately for me neither one of those apply.

Here's the stock cap:
IMG_1109.jpg

Remove all 5 bolts around the outside (two of them are dummies) and then open the cap and remove the one on the inside (circled):
IMG_1111_M-1.jpg

Here's what the bottom of the stock cap looks like:
IMG_1114.jpg

You will need to remove the rubber gasket as it will need to be reused:
IMG_1112.jpg

Now you will have to modify the stock gasket by cutting a little bit of it off so that it fits properly on the gas cap. I used a safety razor blade, but a utility knife should work as well. Just watch your fingers as the rubber is kind of tough and a little slippery:
IMG_1116.jpg

Bolt it all back up making sure that the gasket sits well all around the perimeter and you're done:
IMG_1119.jpg

Finished product:
IMG_1117.jpg

I have a billet aluminum one from Roaring Toyz that I'm debating on installing. Unsure still if I want to go keyless. Thanks for the great write-up and pics Tony! :tup:

Keyed gas caps are for more than what someone may take out. I'd be more worried about what someone might put in and that only takes a few seconds to dump crap in that can mess with the fuel injection and eventually the motor. An entire tank full of gas is only about $15 or less but a motor is a whole lot more and much harder to replace.

Keyed gas caps are for more than what someone may take out. I'd be more worried about what someone might put in and that only takes a few seconds to dump crap in that can mess with the fuel injection and eventually the motor. An entire tank full of gas is only about $15 or less but a motor is a whole lot more and much harder to replace.

Yes, exactly one of my concerns. ;) In some ways, I'd like to install that thing, but I can't watch the bike 24/7. It is garaged but as you stated here, it only takes a few seconds, like when you're in a restaurant or at work. Maybe I'll just post it up for sale for someone who can use it. :D

Valid point, but you can't worry about that too much. What is there to stop someone from removing your oil cap and dumping something in the engine...nothing. And if the engine was to seize the outcome would be much worse.

Hey Tony, How much do they go for if you don't mind me asking? I wish they made one in Carbon Fiber. That would be hot!

I got lucky and picked this one up on eBay already powdercoated for $45 shipped!!! The decent ones go for $40-50 and come anodized in a variety of colors. Most popular ones seem to be gold, black and silver. Just need to watch out for some of the cheaper ones made in China. They don't look like they would fit/function well. Here's a decent one:

YAMAHA CNC GAS FUEL CAP YZF R6 S R1 FZ1 FZ6 FZ1N FZ6N - eBay (item 300364014235 end time Mar-04-10 21:52:32 PST)

As for carbon fiber...well you can only get covers for the stock one. Here's a nice CF cover:

SKUR Yamaha 5 Bolt Carbon Fiber Gas Cap Cover #127 : eBay Motors (item 250586182384 end time Mar-05-10 19:38:21 PST)

I got lucky and picked this one up on eBay already powdercoated for $45 shipped!!! The decent ones go for $40-50 and come anodized in a variety of colors. Most popular ones seem to be gold, black and silver. Just need to watch out for some of the cheaper ones made in China. They don't look like they would fit/function well. Here's a decent one:

YAMAHA CNC GAS FUEL CAP YZF R6 S R1 FZ1 FZ6 FZ1N FZ6N - eBay (item 300364014235 end time Mar-04-10 21:52:32 PST)

As for carbon fiber...well you can only get covers for the stock one. Here's a nice CF cover:

SKUR Yamaha 5 Bolt Carbon Fiber Gas Cap Cover #127 : eBay Motors (item 250586182384 end time Mar-05-10 19:38:21 PST)

Thanks Tony! I'm gonna check out the carbon fiber one. You know I had the carbon fiber applique but one day that the bike was in the hot sun, it came off. The one you showed is CNC machined.

cap security

Valid point, but you can't worry about that too much. What is there to stop someone from removing your oil cap and dumping something in the engine...nothing. And if the engine was to seize the outcome would be much worse.

Here is something that might slow down a would be bike engine gremlin. Motovation sells them, I am sure PJ could bring them in to as they are Rizoma.

some of those caps are sweet but I am to paranoid about leaving my bike unattended as for oil cap I always give a quick look at the level b4 i take off and my aftermarket cap would require pliers for removal

Does that cap vent? The Vortex on the R6 does not and on a hot day will blow out of your hand as you remove it. In fact it built up so much pressure that it blew out a rust spot that was developing in the seam of the tank and caused a leak. New tank on the way....:shame:

Does that cap vent? The Vortex on the R6 does not and on a hot day will blow out of your hand as you remove it. In fact it built up so much pressure that it blew out a rust spot that was developing in the seam of the tank and caused a leak. New tank on the way....:shame:

No, it doesn't vent as far as I can tell. However, no real issues with pressure build up with it.

Back