Kickstand after lowering

# two

I've lowered the back about an inch and a half and the front half an inch, it stands fine in my garage but i'm worried about parking lots and other uneven surfaces. What have the rest of you done? after market kickstand or can I take a grinder to the stopper?

You can have a welder cut the pad off, take about 1 to 1.5" off and weld the pad back on. Make SURE he does this at the base of the kickstand! Some have done it in the middle and guess what? The weld broke and the bike toppled!

On iPhone can't access site, but I know of someone who can do the same thing for around 50-60.00

I'll have get back to you on this....this was pricing for a gen 1

Last edited:
I would just use the center stand from now on instead of wasting more money. But then again, does that also adjust the geometry of how the center stand works and make it more difficult to deploy it?

Out of curiousity, why did you decide to lower it to begin with?

How does the bike perform now that it's lowered? Once in a while I consider doing it to mine. But I probably never will. 3/4 of an inch or so would set me better footed.

I would just use the center stand from now on instead of wasting more money. But then again, does that also adjust the geometry of how the center stand works and make it more difficult to deploy it?

Out of curiousity, why did you decide to lower it to begin with?

Unfortunately, it does change and makes it a bit harder to get the bike onto the center stand.

I'm guessing he lowered it for a shorter inseam?

It's easy to cut the foot off and remove a section of the leg and re-weld the foot. Before you have the foot re-welded (or do it yourself) see how it sets on some cement (amount of lean) and then have it welded. Just remember that going back to the original length isn't as simple as a reversal. You'll end up getting a new side stand. That shouldn't cost you much more than $10-15 at a reputable welder. I'd do it for $5 if you had it prepped properly.

another way

How does the bike perform now that it's lowered? Once in a while I consider doing it to mine. But I probably never will. 3/4 of an inch or so would set me better footed.

I am not trying to be a smart ass, but why not just get boots with thicker soles. I suggested this to another rider,a very short one. He went out and did just that, and problem solved. Nice thing is that the boots don't adversly affect the handling of the bike in any way. As long as you don't get ones with a big bulky toe, they are no problem riding in. After all, how much time do you spend with your feet on the ground? Remember the "K.I.S.S. rule, Keep it simple stupid. Speaking of KISS, thier boots might work.:th_smiley_rotfl2[1]
Just a thought.

Out of curiousity, why did you decide to lower it to begin with?[/QUOTE]

I'm tall enough to sit flat footed, even a little bend in my knee with the stock set up. Just lowered it to get a little different look.

It hasn't had any major effect, sometimes i slalom the broken center line in the road and noticed it doesn't turn as "sharp" as before but as far as corners or curves not a big difference. Also the lowering link sets the rear wheel back a little and it feels like i need more throttle to get the front up but this could just be in my head. Oh yea, va_rider put me in contact with somebody selling a shortend side stand and it's on the way.

I am not trying to be a smart ass, but why not just get boots with thicker soles. I suggested this to another rider,a very short one. He went out and did just that, and problem solved. Nice thing is that the boots don't adversly affect the handling of the bike in any way. As long as you don't get ones with a big bulky toe, they are no problem riding in. After all, how much time do you spend with your feet on the ground? Remember the \"K.I.S.S. rule, Keep it simple stupid. Speaking of KISS, thier boots might work.:th_smiley_rotfl2[1]
Just a thought.

I didn't think of that! I need to get riding boots anyway.

I am not trying to be a smart ass, but why not just get boots with thicker soles. I suggested this to another rider,a very short one. He went out and did just that, and problem solved. Nice thing is that the boots don't adversly affect the handling of the bike in any way. As long as you don't get ones with a big bulky toe, they are no problem riding in. After all, how much time do you spend with your feet on the ground? Remember the \"K.I.S.S. rule, Keep it simple stupid. Speaking of KISS, thier boots might work.:th_smiley_rotfl2[1]
Just a thought.

In my wife's case, the thicker boots were not enough and we ended up lowering her FZ6R as well as installing a new shorter kickstand. :D NOW she is happy! And a happy wife makes a happy husband! ;)

I will soon have same issue. Ive got a lowering link on order, i will be dropping 2 inches in rear and sliding forks up through the clamps to try and keep bike handling about the same. Im short and i like the look of a lower bike.

I dropped about an inch and a half in the back (adjustable link) and left the front alone for a while with no big issues then slid the fork tubes up a full inch and noticed a "flop" in the front during slow tight circles and figure 8s, brought it back to a half inch and she rides good. P.S. if you go 2 inches front and back you WILL have problems with the side stand holding up your bike and make sure the side stand is up before coming down off the center stand.

I'm tall enough to sit flat footed, even a little bend in my knee with the stock set up. Just lowered it to get a little different look.

Good. That leads me to my recommendation. Put it back to stock and you don't have to worry about the changes and any accompanying problems.

Last edited:
You can have a welder cut the pad off, take about 1 to 1.5\\" off and weld the pad back on. Make SURE he does this at the base of the kickstand! Some have done it in the middle and guess what? The weld broke and the bike toppled!

Thats what I did, worked great and cost me bout $20. I lower my bike 2" and lower front forks 8-10mm and had no handling issues. That being said I wasnt a knee dragging, wheelie popping aggressive style rider.

Last edited:
I just ordered the adjustable stand from cycleoneoff.com as well.
Thicker heel boots (ie. KISS boots) would not be the answer for me either. I used a nice one-inch lowering link in back, and lowered the front one inch as well. I think the bike handles just as good, and I feel like I have much better control of the bike now. I'm 5'6" tall and 130 lbs. This bike was too tall for me from the factory, period. I know what everyone says about handling, but I think it's still excellent, and I haven't scraped pegs yet. I'm a sometimes aggressive rider, so not overly concerned about cornering clearance. I'm not a knee dragger, really.

Back