Lead Weights

Here's a bit of a cross between HaleyMan's idea with the fishing weights and the "Bar Snake". While looking at HaileyMans idea something occured to me, it seems that alot of guys are turned off by the difficulty of yanking (pulling) the "Bar Snake" through the bars, and it's been described as difficult at best, pluss the cost. Well this ideas not far from the "Bar Snake"s idea. How about surgical rubber tubing.....take SRT and pull it through the bars, then slide/pull in the weights all lined up and on fishing line, mabe fly fishing line or 20+lb test monofilamint like a necklace into the rubber tubing after the tubings been pulled into the bars. The size of the surgical tubing 'JUST' barely an interferance fit of the inside diameter of the bars but not snug, then with the line through the tubing pull the weights into place, into the tubing. You'd surely have to use a lubricant for slippage, a soap of some kind, as vasaline or a like product being a 'Petroleum" jelly might deteriorate the surgical tubing, but a soap something would work and could be rinsed out through the bars. This would give you shock between the bar, surgical rubber and weights. Additionally it would not deteriorate the lead into dust over time.

Taking my first long ride today since I did this. From home to downtown Houston is about 25 miles. My hand usually starts going numb about half way. I will report back this afternoon on results....

Well I got the Grip puppies and installed them.....a day or so before this post initally. I'll say I was both happy with them and un-happy with them. Their soft, but.....big. And the 'big' is just a little too big, I mean I can live with it and prefer it to stock, but I should have gotten some cool blue Gell-grips, installed them first and then the grip puppies, or possably not installed the grip puppies after the Gells. The one thing that I believe barring a 'snake, weights, or lead shot that would be of the most benefit would be the throttle rocker, thuss loosening your tight grip which we all find ourselves doing un-ententionally while our mind is on other things like navigation and traffic.

Much much better! Normally my right hand would start to get numb half way to work. I was rolling in to downtown before I felt any tingling. Now... this was not one of those things where I added the weights and all other things remained constant. I wore my Cortech Scarab gloves this am since it was about 44 degrees out. They are not broken in and feel pretty tight around my palm. Uncomfortably tight. The numbness I felt today could be because of the gloves.

The good news is I brought my A* gloves that have 8 years worth og breaking in for the ride home. I think that will be the true test. I will report back after work.

I also have a nice long ride to Galveston Island tomorrow. Even longer than the ride to work. Should be close to 100 bikes on that ride. Though, it is just a cruise to shake the cobwebs off.

Last edited:
Well I got the Grip puppies and installed them.....a day or so before this post initally. I'll say I was both happy with them and un-happy with them. Their soft, but.....big. And the 'big' is just a little too big, I mean I can live with it and prefer it to stock, but I should have gotten some cool blue Gell-grips, installed them first and then the grip puppies, or possably not installed the grip puppies after the Gells. The one thing that I believe barring a 'snake, weights, or lead shot that would be of the most benefit would be the throttle rocker, thuss loosening your tight grip which we all find ourselves doing un-ententionally while our mind is on other things like navigation and traffic.

The D3 grips I have are just a tad thicker than stock which I like. I have used grip puppies in the past and they do feel much larger. Made mee feel like I was twisting a watermellon. :)

Have used a throttle buddy also. It also only delayed the numbness. Having my hand touching the bar at all was enough for it to start going numb. I have had this problem on every bike I have owned. Just seems more pronounced on the FZ1. ....thern again, I ain't getting any younger....

Last edited:
Seems were all missing the obvious, and that would be rubber-mounted risers, unless they already have them, mine appear to be solid mounts and stock...??? I'm certain these are solid. Anyway a rubber-mount would go a long way towards quelling the vibes I believe, not possative, but its a starting point.

Hope that ride home with the broken in gloves proves this to be a success! I've almost convinced the wife to get us both the heavy throttlemeisters. She's decided that instead of a resort or a cruise this year for our third week? She wants to jump on the bikes and simply RIDE... ride in any direction for half the week and see what we can see, then turn around and come home a different route.

I told you she was passionate about riding! How I love her! :D

Hope that ride home with the broken in gloves proves this to be a success! I've almost convinced the wife to get us both the heavy throttlemeisters. She's decided that instead of a resort or a cruise this year for our third week? She wants to jump on the bikes and simply RIDE... ride in any direction for half the week and see what we can see, then turn around and come home a different route.

I told you she was passionate about riding! How I love her! :D

That does sound nice. I love not having plans. Having plans has atendency to stress me out. Start feeling like I must be somewhere at exactly such and such a time...

You and I both selected our partners well. While mine does not ride (yet...) she absolutely encourages me to endulge my passions.

How about for that special Sept day, you surprise her with a BRC class and a new bike! Then you can celebrate in NC with some great online friends??!?!? :tup:

Hey, can't blame me for trying.... You're a very lucky man Brad. Especially since she doesn't participate in this with you. There aren't a lot of women out there that tolerate their men having unshared time. Your wife is special! :tup:

Well, the vibration is not totally gone but it IS totally tolerable now. Much much better than before. I think the way it is right now I will get used to it after the season picks up.

Well, the vibration is not totally gone but it IS totally tolerable now. Much much better than before. I think the way it is right now I will get used to it after the season picks up.

That's good to hear. I can't wait to try out my bike with the heavier bar ends I installed over the Winter. They claim to substantially eliminate vibrations as well. I'll report back after my first ride in a few weeks...

That's good to hear. I can't wait to try out my bike with the heavier bar ends I installed over the Winter. They claim to substantially eliminate vibrations as well. I'll report back after my first ride in a few weeks...

Too bad you don't have your rearsets on the bike. I'll be up on the mountain Sunday!!!!

Too bad you don't have your rearsets on the bike. I'll be up on the mountain Sunday!!!!

Yea, don't rub it in ;) I can't believe how warm it's going to be this weekend. Although the roads are still a mess with all the salt and potholes so be careful out there. I doubt the mountain will be open...

Yea, don't rub it in ;) I can't believe how warm it's going to be this weekend. Although the roads are still a mess with all the salt and potholes so be careful out there. I doubt the mountain will be open...

I hear ya, but I gotta at least try and get up there. If not, I'll just cruise around and come home early.

Haileyan,
is the vibration you're talking about from the engine? I have noticed it a little in the short time I've ridden mine, but I am not using the engine much so far, and I think it would be more noticeable at lower RPM's. I just wondered if I needed thicker grips, as mine don't seem to offer much in the way of padding.
Thx!
..a

Haileyan,
is the vibration you're talking about from the engine? I have noticed it a little in the short time I've ridden mine, but I am not using the engine much so far, and I think it would be more noticeable at lower RPM's. I just wondered if I needed thicker grips, as mine don't seem to offer much in the way of padding.
Thx!
..a

I have always assumed it is the engine as I can associate it more with RPM than with speed.

Under 5,000 RPM it is not so bad and my hands feel great. Above 6000 is when I would experience the high frequency vibration and my hands going numb within 20 - 30 minutes.

After adding the weight to my bar my hands never go totally numb though I can still feel vibration.

Lead Shot vs. Fishing Weights + Silicone

I evaluated the density of lead "shot" versus the "fishing weights", that HAIL recommended, by using a section of pipe the size and length of the handlebars. Weighed it empty. Taped one end, filled it with shot, taped the other end, and weighed it. Did the same for the fishing weights. The lead shot net weight was 35 ounces. Fishing weights were 34 ounces. Since the fishing weights were so much easier to use, I chose that method.

I have found great success by using "HAIL's" lead fishing weights and then pumping silicon sealer into the entire handlebar to fill any gaps between the weights. My handlebars are "dead" except for one harmonic about 4,800. and it is very minor. I tried the weights only, and that helped, but the silicone acts as a rubber dampening that really does the trick.

First, fill the bar with the weights. It takes significant pressure to push the silicon past the weights. I worked from one end of the bar until the silicon comes out the other end. Remove the accessories that locate into the small holes. You have to tightly tape up any of these holes with up to 10 rounds of tape. Next, I used the stock handlebar end weight to "screw" the silicon through the bars. It may have taken 50 times to do it. Squirt material into the end of the bar; screw the end weight to pump it past the weights; repeat. A laborious process, but the results were outstanding.

Last edited:
I am going to try the fishing weights and silicone idea. My 07 has a severe case of handlebar vibration. I appreciate the ideas you all have to cure this issue.:bowdown:

Back