Looking for info on heated grips???

joker80

Hey guys just looking for some input on heated grips. I want to look into getting a set so i quit freezing my hands off on my way to work. I don't have that far to go but it's just enough to get my finger tips numb. I don't want to use wired heated gloves or pay a ton for good battery powered gloves so i was thinking the grips may be the way to go what do yall think? Thanks.

Necro bump: what about Oxford heated grips? I've heard good things about them. I'm going to try the Hot hands over grip so I can take them off in the spring. I only need them for about a month or so.

I bought these Symtec grip elements and will be installing them this winter in hopes of riding sooner in the spring. I know a couple of members here have already done this. :tup:

Nice. I like the idea of being able to use normal grips.

Yea that's the kit I have (or one very similar to it...was already on the bike when I bought it). I'm using the stock grips with it and it works great. Actually I find the Hi setting to get too hot for my taste so I usually start out with Hi and then switch it to Low once it warms up a bit.

Tony, have you heard of anyone actually having these on HI and issues with melting things? I would think they wouldn't allow it to get so hot that they melt anything but someone mentioned it and I called "BS" on them and asked them to prove it. Google turns up nothing.

I did hear that HI can get too hot so we'll use them just as you do... get them heated and switch to LOW to maintain them. :tup: I believe you said yours were wired to the signal's HOT? Thanks!

Yea that's the kit I have (or one very similar to it...was already on the bike when I bought it). I'm using the stock grips with it and it works great. Actually I find the Hi setting to get too hot for my taste so I usually start out with Hi and then switch it to Low once it warms up a bit.

I would love to see a pic of how it's set up, routing of wires, switch placement etc...

Are you hooked up directly to the battery? Any problems with battery discharge?

Tony, have you heard of anyone actually having these on HI and issues with melting things? I would think they wouldn't allow it to get so hot that they melt anything but someone mentioned it and I called "BS" on them and asked them to prove it. Google turns up nothing.

I did hear that HI can get too hot so we'll use them just as you do... get them heated and switch to LOW to maintain them. :tup: I believe you said yours were wired to the signal's HOT? Thanks!

I have had the Symtec ones on both my FZ6 and FZ1 for 3 years. One side went out on the FZ1 this summer. I am going to get the trackside ones next from cyclegear. On the melting issue, yeah they get hot but not that much to melt. They did smoothen out the surface on my stock grips as I mounted them under the grip puppies on the stock grips. They work best that way and are super easy to install. I got this hint from the fz6-forum, the one who has a naked FZ1 light on the red FZ6 and a white daytona 675.

If installing them this way, get the ATV version so both sides are equally heated. The motorcycle version is designed to go under the stock grips has the throttle side less hotter than the clutch side.

Eric, they don't get hot enough to melt anything...I too call BS on that one. I am using a relay just to be on the safe side. Feeding power to the relay directly from the battery (using fuse of course) and then activating the relay using the front turn signal. This way there are no issues with any wires overheating and once ignition is shut off there is no power to the grips.

I would love to see a pic of how it's set up, routing of wires, switch placement etc...

Are you hooked up directly to the battery? Any problems with battery discharge?

Unfortunately, I don't really have any pics of the wiring since they were already installed on the bike when I bought it. Seems pretty straight forward to install. As for feeding power to them see my response to Eric above.

Here are some pics of the heated grip switch and power outlet (another worthwhile mod).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1332.jpg
    IMG_1332.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1343.jpg
    IMG_1343.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 180
That looks really tidy. Is that a cigarette lighter style outlet or a "Powerlet"

Sorry for all the dumb questions, this is all new to me.

If you're finding the grips are unusably hot on hi you can wire them in series rather than parallel so you still have two choices of heat (on a hi/low setup) Only down side that comes to mind is if one grip breaks you won't get heat on the other grip with it wired that way.

ive been looking getting heated grips, right before my grand caynon trip i order some from my local moto store and they didnt have time to put them on, im thinking of returning them and getting these instead.

Are heated grips always on? Just hi or low, no off?

Anyone try the Oxford heated overwraps? I kinda like the idea of being able to easily take them off as needed.

Are heated grips always on? Just hi or low, no off?

Anyone try the Oxford heated overwraps? I kinda like the idea of being able to easily take them off as needed.

No, the switch on mine is a three position, HI, OFF, LO. Trust me if you take the time and route the wires so they are out of the way you wont even notice them after a while.

Hello Gentlemans,

Wholy Crap,

I don't have a link right now but I will get you the information you seek within the next 3 or 4 days when I get out to the garage.

Unless I'm mistaken, I only saw the one suggestion for heated grips from one guy which I have used before and they do work ok. They are also fairly inexpensive as well.

Being from Canada however, I do know of a far superior product that is the bomb. Elements are mounted inside the tubes or clip ons, meaning the elements don't have a chance when it comes time to change grips. The switch replaces the front half of a pearch mount and they have several heat settings with correlated LED lights to let you know where you're at. VERY Trick. Installed in the correct manner having taken the proper amount of care & time, they can appear to be a factory option.

That said, they aren't cheap and will likely cost a bit over a note now.

Back