Lower Fairings Install

ecruz

I'm planning to buy a set of lower fairings with my bonus this month. I'm looking for input on installation. Any tips, tricks, pitfalls, etc. Special tools? Can I do it myself or do I need a helper? Which sliders work best? I seem to remember people having an issue with the stock turn signals, but I don't remember exactly what that was.

Any input is appreciated.

Just realized I posted in the wrong area. Moderator, feel free to move this to the proper section.

Sorry

Last edited:
Mine went on pretty smoothly. I built a bracket out of thick steel to move my sliders and not have to cut anything. Prolly would bend if I dropped it on the road. On the list of things to do this year. I used my proton flush mount signals, the factory ones are supposed to be mounted through the hole in the fairing, they actually stay attached to the front cowl. Can see how it would be a pain and in my opinion doesn't look very professional. Need any help during the install you can send me a message. Are you buying them used or new? got mine used and the bolts I bought at the hardware store is starting to rust a little, going to get stainless ones and swap them this spring to.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk

Yo! No special tools... You can do it yourself but it helps to have a strong helper to get the two front holes drilled in your existing fairing. The helper needs to hold the two fairings together firmly to close the gap as best possible then you can mark it to drill.

When hanging the fairings, the first bolt to put in loosely is the one attaching to the small bracket at the motor mount bolt (same bolt as the frame slider). From there, you can start all bolts and then tighten them after they've all been started.

Change the oil and filter BEFORE you do any of this. ;)

The stock signals work, but they are just a but difficult to get pushed back through the inner fairing.

Buy two sets of the 07-08 R1 frame sliders and use the two longer stand-offs and pucks to make your set.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm buying them new. Found a place that has them for $625ish, including shipping. If anyone knows of a better deal, let me know. I plan to order them within the next week or two.

Not a lot... They aren't wide enough to deflect it all but it helps some. Wife complains a bit that it channels more heat from the motor on her but she still wants them on the bike so it's not too much.

Wife complains a bit that it channels more heat from the motor on her but she still wants them on the bike so it's not too much.

I had heard that also, but couldn't find the reference.

Now I'm hesitating. :) Not much weather protection, more heat to my butt, harder to do an oil change, can't use my highway pegs, $650. But they do make the bike look nice!

I bought a set a few years back and took them off and sold them six months later.
Admittedly they do look great to some and they do offer a little extra protection from the elements but i found the extra heat caused by them and the faffing around to move sliders and change the oil and filter more hassle than i was prepared to deal with.
I actually prefer the look of the bike without them on, but thats just a personal preference.
Have you considered the belly pan option.

Back