Lower handlebars?

Hi,

I need opinion as I find the stock bars too up right, how do you guys achieve a more sportier/lower riding position?

Replace a shorter bar clamps?
What complication would it possibly have? Bars hitting the tank when full lock?

Your help will be much appreciated!

Sent from Blackberry Smartphones[emoji768]

A lot of riders try to lower the bars, unfortunately you get very quickly clearance issues with the fairing and the tank. Even if you take the smaller steering angle (well only relevant when making low speed u-turns) you should consider that your fingers might get squeezed even in the lightest crash.

Hi,

I need opinion as I find the stock bars too up right, how do you guys achieve a more sportier/lower riding position?

Replace a shorter bar clamps?
What complication would it possibly have? Bars hitting the tank when full lock?

Your help will be much appreciated!

Buy an R1? :)

Sent from my Nexus 5

I have considered convertibars but it will also means all my switches and ram mount kit will have to go.

And great insight from dreamdemon, thanks!

I fitted some lowered risers using the standard bars, and here's the result.
7a9ce0ff84c93a3d1506bd48c3014e1d.jpg

Clearance was "feelers gauge" thickness
ad53d45798ab8005dacfce98d1c5fccd.jpg

It worked, but only just, and I couldn't live with it, and I'm a very long armed mutha!
33f64492476dec9616f265b02dc30fde.jpg

I fitted some lowered risers using the standard bars, and here's the result.
7a9ce0ff84c93a3d1506bd48c3014e1d.jpg

Clearance was "feelers gauge" thickness
ad53d45798ab8005dacfce98d1c5fccd.jpg

It worked, but only just, and I couldn't live with it, and I'm a very long armed mutha!
33f64492476dec9616f265b02dc30fde.jpg

Hey stevierst,

I noticed you had also turn the handlebar upwards, how's that angle working for you? Any wrist strains?

And could you kindly direct me what bar clamps are those and where to get em?

Thanks a mil!

The clamps are 'butchered' from a moto-x bike, re drilled and welded up by myself. I believe they were 1" rise , so easy to get hold of really.

As for the bar angle, we'll it must be an optical illusion, as they were actually quite flat. I've got knackered wrists, so the standard bars were junked in favour of a pair of WRP fat bars which are very straight and wide in comparison.
bede8d51be62dbaef1209181ce1d45b1.jpg

Convertibars can allow you to convert to clip-ons and adjust them any way you can to fit the bike. Hellgate ran with these when he had his FZ1.

Very nice bars with a wide range of adjustment. They allow you to find that perfect position.

And they continue to work great for me. You are limited on where you can adjust the Convertibars on the FZ1 if you want lock-to-lock steering. I had to trim the inner fairing inserts to put the bars where I wanted, but it was well worth it.

Risers from 2011 Star VX 250 installed in reverse direction. Puts me forward approx. 1" and 2" lower. Clearance is tight, but not dangerous. For me, this is far better than the stock bar config, with it's upright seat position. Able to stretch out over the tank and better position on the bars in the corners. And, yea, I do find it comfortable.
Cost of mod: $25.00 (found risers on ebay)

Cheers.
BTW, got the idea from someone on this website but forgot where.

VX250riser7.jpg

VX250riser2.jpgVX250riser5.jpgVX250riser3.jpgVX250riser9.jpg

This is what I do my touring on:
20130615_144726_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I am running SV650 risers and its very close to the tank, in fact so close my heated grips on the throttle side need removing and re-positioning as turning the bars all the way to the right engages the throttle. Much better riding position though, im awaiting to fit my gilles rearsets so hoping this will only improve this further

Last edited:
My 02

Hey guys, new to yamaha, sports touring, and of course the FZ1, i rode an 06 CBR 600RR for the longest until i crashed, and i got a hold of an 02 FZ1. The bars were way to upright for me. I've actually been trying to find a way to lower them. Other than the clearance issue, how do the clip-ons run, feel? Running on a budget so i cant' cut $400 loose on bars. I can get the clip-ons for $30-$50. Let me know.

Depending how low you want to go, there are lots of low or flat bars you can get for not a lot of money. I've also seen people running bar risers from the SV650 as they are bolt-on, cheap and much lower.

You may be satisfied with a low bar & low risers rather than clip-ons.

Welcome to the forum!

I was looking at taking a pair of clip ons and putting them directly under the top triple, that's around the angle I'm used too. But i will definitely check out the other options. With the bars from the SV, would it have to be the same year model?

Back