mounting bag to the seat

DERJ, that was a cool idea to stretch some material over it. Well done! I sill have not done mine yet. I have been too busy with other things that are preventing me from doing the fun projects. Maybe this week.... ;) Thanks for posting those shots! :tup:

Everyone has done a great job on their seats so far! Wolftamer has given me a great idea. Very nice job. I may look for a second stock genI seat to mess around with. It would be great to just be able to interchange the seats as a unit whenever you need to. Thanks for all the ingenuity on all parts, both GenI and GenII people!

Pretty Much Done

Except for a few staples:

The seat mount with middle foam replaced:
DSCF3032.JPG

I left a little space on each side because the screws that attach the plate are long enough that they touch the foam and make it difficult to add bolts.
DSCF3033.JPG

I butchered the cover to reveal the mounting holes on the bracket.
DSCF3034.JPG

DSCF3035.JPG

Then I attached the plate and tacked the cover:
DSCF3036.JPG

On the bike:
DSCF3037.JPG

With the case:
DSCF3039.JPG

DSCF3041.JPG

GEDC0060.JPG

GEDC0061.JPG

GEDC0062.JPG

I finally took a test ride with the new seat mounted case this week while testing possible locations to put my md80 knockoff helmet camera on the bike.

About the case: Didn't even notice it was there. It is very stable and doesn't move (that I can feel). Now I need some kind of organization system for it because I miss the pockets on my tail bag for the crap I like to carry all the time, e.g. mini tripod, bungie nets, mini umbrella, maps, and zip ties, that fit nicely in the pocket. Also no longer have a place to stick my coffee when meeting the gang at Starbucks.

About the seat: The stock is softer than the lowered seat I have. Looks like I'm going to have to mod them both for comfort when the time comes. I also don't slide into the tank as badly as I do with the lowered seat (good thing I'ma girl!!). Now I'm wondering if I can get the soles raised on my motorcycle boots!!

About the camera: You can't change a leopard's spots. I guess I better be happy with my helmet camera and get another camera to mount to the bike although I suspect I can mount it to the case for rear action without the vibes in other places. Since I'm pleased with the overall quality, I see no reason to spend $300 on a go pro or countour etc. I'm going back to ebay to see what other knock-off they might have to fit my needs. They got a "flashlight" looking camera...

I was able to use the saddlebags without needing to modify anything. I just put the straps over the plate then the bag on top:

DSCF3120.JPG

That looks great! And by mounting the saddle bags like that they aren't going anywhere that's for sure. Even adds a little bit of theft protection (I know they can just cut the straps, but they would need to come prepared for that).

That looks great! And by mounting the saddle bags like that they aren't going anywhere that's for sure. Even adds a little bit of theft protection (I know they can just cut the straps, but they would need to come prepared for that).

If they tried that, the movement would set the alarm off!! It's funny, all the years I've used soft luggage, I've never worried about someone taking them off of the bike. Not because of the alarm either, that's only on there so If I'm within earshot and I can immobilize the bike.

Back