mounting bag to the seat

Do you two know if this is a perpetual item in their inventory or is it some kind of special seasonal thing. In other words... Do I need to but it NOW? :)

Unsure Brad. I can tell you it is listed as a sale item but I have no idea how long that sale is going on. I'd grab one sooner than later.

I'm even more happy that I've ordered the Copperdog parts and will be able to ride with the cowl instead of the trunk and mount the trunk only when needed. :D

Sears delivers!

The top cases came in today. While they are far from a Givi or Shad, they cannot be beat for $42.00! This is going to be a fun mod!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thats pretty cool Eric. Now you need to hook up a light kit. I bought one of those when I had my scooter. I disassmebled the rear and installed brake lights as well as turn signals and wired it up to the bike. It looked sweet and worked really well for added visibilty. Here are some pics of the mods in action........

dcp_1359.jpg

dcp_1539.jpg

I'M Trying to visualize

Thats pretty cool Eric. Now you need to hook up a light kit. I bought one of those when I had my scooter. I disassmebled the rear and installed brake lights as well as turn signals and wired it up to the bike. It looked sweet and worked really well for added visibilty. Here are some pics of the mods in action........

dcp_1539.jpg

I am trying really hard but I just can't picture you riding that Billy. Nope just doesn't work! :cowboy:

I am trying really hard but I just can't picture you riding that Billy. Nope just doesn't work! :cowboy:

I know, I know! I do have to say that I had a ball on that thing. We rode everywhere and anywhere, my son and I. This was actually my re-entry into motorcycling after about a 5 year layoff. I figured I'd start there again to make sure that I'd be riding full time again. It only lasted one season before I bought the Honda. I paid only $899.00 delivered to my job for this bike just before the gas prices started soaring. I put 2800 miles on it for one season and then sold it for $1350.00 dollars! How many can say that they actually made a profit on a two-wheeled vehicle?!

I have seen some of the kits for the top cases and wondered, why can't I just do that myself? ;) Good plan Billy! At the very least, a 3rd eye brake light would be cool! I have a string of LED lights, plenty to do two cases with about 8 LEDs per case.

Nice!!! Thanks!

Ok Billy! I've been posting this up over at the sister site too. An FZ6 rider there has the same case mounted to an SW Motech rack. Check out his LED progress. :Rockon: He's got them in three sets, signals and brake. He's custom programming the controller for series flashes and then full-on lighting.

attachment.php

Thank for case lead!

The top cases came in today. While they are far from a Givi or Shad, they cannot be beat for $42.00! This is going to be a fun mod!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I just ordered the case! I had been thinking of this mod myself once I saw the picture of the FZ1 with the pelican case. I am going to head to the dealer for a rear seat assembly (without pad) and locking mechanics. I can carry the extra seat in the case for when I take the case inside. I have a good paint guy to match the paint, also.

I am new to the forums, so HI and thanks, again.

seat

I would be surprised if you can buy just the pan and hardware. Comes as 1 part for about $90.00 from the dealer. Ron Ayers sells it for $73.00 from what I hear. Still a cheap Mod either way.

And Welcome to the forum!:)

I just ordered the case! I had been thinking of this mod myself once I saw the picture of the FZ1 with the pelican case. I am going to head to the dealer for a rear seat assembly (without pad) and locking mechanics. I can carry the extra seat in the case for when I take the case inside. I have a good paint guy to match the paint, also.

I am new to the forums, so HI and thanks, again.

First, welcome to the site! :D Glad to have you here.

About the case and seat. The case will unlock from the plate you mount to the seat pan so the bike will still be secure. The seat doesn't have to come in with you. :D

Thanks! Yeah I realize that, but just in case some good looking biker babe wants a ride, it is best to be prepared! Thought of a bracket to span the hand rails, with quick disconnect, to mount the locking bracket on. I can do a pretty decent weld and then blast and paint. The wheels are still turnin'! You know the saying; 'necessity is the mother of invention'.

Or try this

Thanks! Yeah I realize that, but just in case some good looking biker babe wants a ride, it is best to be prepared! Thought of a bracket to span the hand rails, with quick disconnect, to mount the locking bracket on. I can do a pretty decent weld and then blast and paint. The wheels are still turnin'! You know the saying; 'necessity is the mother of invention'.

If you are good with welding (aluminum) try this.

IMG_0098.jpg

deckfitside.jpg

http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-mods/5877-flat-deck-project.html

Last edited:
Great job! I will probably order the seat next month if I can't just order the pan and hardware. I looked on the Yamaha site and they do have seperate part numbers for all the pieces. We will see. I remember reading about another mod like this and he said he got a pan without seating and said cheap. We sill see.

I have the seat, the case and will go get a box of hockey pucks tomorrow. I'll start shaping this into what I want and post pics when I'm closer to a final design to include assembly. :D

Found out the two part numbers are for the seat (complete with cover) and then just a cover. What a bummer. Oh well, I will get a second seat later, but will be taking the cover off real carefully!

easy

Found out the two part numbers are for the seat (complete with cover) and then just a cover. What a bummer. Oh well, I will get a second seat later, but will be taking the cover off real carefully!

The cover is easy to take off, just lots of staples. I used a regular pliers and did lots of pulling(they use lots of staples). The foam comes off fairly easy as well with just a bit of spray on glue holding it, just peeled back from the edges slowly. Bagged it up in case I need it down the road.

Pictuers to come later. I got the tail bag mounted to the seat pan. I did not turn out bad. I did find out with the base mounted to the seat, the front of the seat will shift a little. Problem is solved by stick on rubber pads on the bottom of the seat to take up the slack. Again, pictures to come later tonight. Pretty easy mod, but will try to get it looking better over the next week as soon as I can find a little vinyl to cover it all or maybe just fiberglass over it all.

Pictuers to come later. I got the tail bag mounted to the seat pan. I did not turn out bad. I did find out with the base mounted to the seat, the front of the seat will shift a little. Problem is solved by stick on rubber pads on the bottom of the seat to take up the slack. Again, pictures to come later tonight. Pretty easy mod, but will try to get it looking better over the next week as soon as I can find a little vinyl to cover it all or maybe just fiberglass over it all.

Nice! I'm going to attempt mine Sunday I think, barring other projects.

I was thinking the same... fiberglass it and paint it. But, I want tp make a sheetmetal mold of what I want glassed and fiberglass that to get a smooth finish in the outside.

I was thinking of taking the metal band saw to the base to make it conform with the seat pan. I won't be that hard and then maybe tack weld a small piece to increase the strength of the base. It may not need it, but I tend to over engineer things. I have to take the unit apart tonight and get pictures. They may be up, but maybe not until tomorrow. The fiberglass option just might be the way to go and be pretty inexpensive. I rode quite a bit of rough rodes today and it did not have a problem. I locks in rather firmly now. I attached it on the pan to have it within an inch of my back. Future mods will be a pad attached to the seat. I plan bar backs and then Givi engine guards with foot pegs for cruising, so the back pad will allow to be more relaxed. More later!

Back