MrsFZ1inNH Build Thread - ***REVEALED!*** Vid and Pics!

Ok... So you want to know the color? Well, it is one of these!

spectrum.jpg

Eric was very gracious when I let it slip the first time but I won't test him a second time. He's a pretty rugged guy if you haven't met him...army strong!

:D I was gracious because she'd already changed her mind at that point so it made the whole slip even better Norm! :tup:

Thankfully, while Army strong, I am rather laid back. More passive than aggressive. ;)

I wish I'd had new stuff to post but I'm utterly and totally disappointed. I had GREAT intentions this weekend but it was foiled by Mother Nature.

I took Friday off. It was a day that we were supposed to go to the painter with a couple of her parts and let them show us what they expected for a "ready to paint" prep of the factory finish, then she was to pick out her color. They are not there on weekends. Friday in NH... snowed ALL DAY LONG! I wasn't ever able to get out in time to get over to their shop and my last snow removal ended at 10:30pm after almost 13" fell here. The last of it was nasty wet and heavy stuff.

Saturday was a wash as I was sick and worn out. I was supposed to go out and re-pack the steering stem and swingarm bearings and clean up a lot of what is under the plastics.

Sunday, we were expecting company so she cleaned while I went out to clear off the new 9" of fresh snow that fell over night last night. Company not only did not call but never showed up. We reached them at about 4pm today...

So, the weekend was a wash for this project even after I made it a three-day weekend. Maybe I will get something done a few nights this week after work....

C'est la vie!

Last edited:
I wish I'd had new stuff to post but I'm utterly and totally disappointed. I had GREAT intentions this weekend but it was foiled by Mother Nature.

I took Friday off. It was a day that we were supposed to go to the painter with a couple of her parts and let them show us what they expected for a "ready to paint" prep of the factory finish, then she was to pick out her color. They are not there on weekends. Friday in NH... snowed ALL DAY LONG! I wasn't ever able to get out in time to get over to their shop and my last snow removal ended at 10:30pm after almost 13" fell here. The last of it was nasty wet and heavy stuff.

Saturday was a wash as I was sick and worn out. I was supposed to go out and re-pack the steering stem and swingarm bearings and clean up a lot of what is under the plastics.

Sunday, we were expecting company so she cleaned while I went out to clear off the new 9" of fresh snow that fell over night last night. Company not only did not call but never showed up. We reached them at about 4pm today...

So, the weekend was a wash for this project even after I made it a three-day weekend. Maybe I will get something donw a few nights this week after work....

C'est la vie!

We will all be here waiting for ya!:waiting:

Screw New Hampshire Eric; it's going to kill you. I got your ticket back to West Palm waiting for you. I just spoke to the C14: she said she misses you.

I stopped by the paint shop this morning and looked at several shades of the color ######## but she has decided that she's going with the color of one of our older vehicles that she fell in love with. It is ###### ####### ###### with #### ##### all throughout! :D

Seriously though, I had the guy show me what he expected for a paint-ready prep sanding of the factory finish. He comes back with two of the Scotch scuff pads, one which he called course (very fine) and the other is the fine (Ultra Fine). He took one of the two parts I brought in and in just about 20 seconds, had part of it to what he called "ready". He scuffed it with the very-fine for 10 seconds then the ultra-fine for 10 seconds. He wiped away the dust and said "That'll do!" Essentially, all's he wants me to do is remove the shine but he stressed how important it is to get all the nooks and crannies because according to him, that is where paint will chip or lift first if it isn't prepared well enough. I will try and grab a short video of what I'm doing and show you in real-time.

We should be able to knock this out by the end of the weekend and I can drop the parts off next week. I hope to have them back before the following weekend when I can put her all back together and unveil her new shiny ###### ####### ###### with #### ##### all throughout colored bike!!!

I will be taking time this weekend to attempt the steering head and swingarm bearing packing. Also, clean up all of the bike that is exposed without the bodywork and tank on her. If I have time and thanks to Billy for the horn information and video, I will get those mounted as well.

A couple other "mods" might slip in this weekend too... Shhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! ;)

7448.jpg

0281639group1_hr4c.jpg

Last edited:
Paint prep

7 parts down, two to go... my fingers HURT like HELL! And this is just the first sanding. I still have to go over everything again with the ultra-fine Scotch pads...

Here's some before and after shots and a short video of just what the painter showed me. The problem isn't the sanding, it is trying to get into all the corners and crevasses of all the parts. The front cowl was murder and took me almost 2 hours for the first sanding.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ae10k4Fhl4]YouTube - Paint Prep for her FZ1[/ame]

I'm awaiting your 'how-to' on the steering bearings.

I've just about stripped everything off my bike except the engine/wiring harness.....yet re-packing the bearings has me on hold.

funds do not allow me the luxury to change paint scheme -- but I'll finally be able to put some shine back into all of my CF parts.

I'm awaiting your 'how-to' on the steering bearings.

I've just about stripped everything off my bike except the engine/wiring harness.....yet re-packing the bearings has me on hold.

funds do not allow me the luxury to change paint scheme -- but I'll finally be able to put some shine back into all of my CF parts.

I should be able to knock that out tomorrow Adam. I won't be replacing the bearings unless I find they are in need of it, but I intend to pack them as they sit on the bike. I may not get to the swingarm tomorrow but I need to get a look at the steering head.

I had to order some stuff from Partshark last night too. I ordered the two tank cowl emblems and the tail emblem. I had to order some replacement foam pieces for the ones I had to remove for paint prep. I also ordered a couple replacement nuts and bolts for the tank cowl. You all might recall me destroying one of those rubber-mounted nuts on my bike? I'll finally get that back in place and have a couple spares here for future use. Also got a couple cans of the Dupont Chain Teflon spray... love that stuff!

Regarding the paint prep? If one was VERY careful, especially on the corners and lines, you could rough over the finish on your bike and just have it clear-coated easily. A couple coats of clear with buffing on each one would make a bike look better than new for cheap. Lot of elbow grease required!

Last edited:
you just reminded me of my order that I need to place so as not to be slowed down during my boring paint scheme......:) Not all secretive and *hush, hush*

Back