My first crash happened today!

bro, I think I have it. Error, locked rear with target fixation on the dirt lane.

In the twists, I NEVER use the rear on our bike.

Get well soon. Bike looks good to me.

I'm with Scout on this one. My favorate sayings are "always look at where you want to crash" and "when you want to go straight jam on the breaks" I've made those mistakes too bro and it can hurt like a mutha! :stunta]:

Did your gear protect ya? At least you will be wiser for the wear!!

I'm with Scout on this one. My favorate sayings are "always look at where you want to crash" and "when you want to go straight jam on the breaks" I've made those mistakes too bro and it can hurt like a mutha! :stunta]:

Yeah, once the survival response thingie sets in, we have a mega problem. Forget to hang off; forget to flick; chop the throttle; hit the rear brake hard; stand the bike up, and sweat a lot while wishing the bike to just plain stop.

I look at my target flick spot, then look where I wanna go, and flick without looking at the asphalt/target spot. Sometimes hard to do if looking for cager kicked gravel or rain run off. If I see that, then I'm looking for a cager cut track while getting ready to chop if I don't see a pathway, which happens around here this time of year with all the rain.

As we all know, the complexities of riding is what makes it such a total blast when it all comes together.

Im glad to hear your ok and able to walk away.

Scout, how long have you been riding for?

Thanks for asking. First, I wanna say that I feel new on a bike, and am learning new stuff all the time.

My fz is now approaching 54k miles, all twisties. All I do with it. A WR that I rode everyday, about five years, weather permitting, on mtn. fireroads, Trininty County.

CBR1000, mostly slabs going to from work, about 120 per work day. Dad started me on mini bikes, then gave me his bikes to fix and sell, various kinds, dirt and street. He liked buying stuff, but never really rode much.

Mini bike at age 6/7 or so, always had a bike, so about 20 years. geez, that sounds like a long time, but time goes fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mcouldrey,

So far we have these observations:

-Excessive rear brake - obvious from the skidmark.
-Object fixation - always a likely possability.
-Poor technique/form - almost gauranteed in the latter stages of any accident (you have to practice crashing to get good at it). :doh2:

I certainly won't discard any of these factors but I will offer up one more observation.

It looks like the roadway falls away as you come off of that flat looking bridge. The skid mark does not appear to start until a few feet off of the bridge. In your initial description of the accident you say the front end lost feel. You could have easily floated the front tire coming off of that bridge (bike stays level as the pavement drops out from under it/you). Then when you chop the throttle/hit the back brake the front end would have regained contact immediately. If you had already started leaning and/or turning the bars before the front tire re-encountered the pavement then your direction of travel and the direction of you tires would not match. The tire would skid until enough speed is scrubbed off for it to re-gain traction, at which point the motorcycle catapults over the front tire tossing you into the gravel, A.K.A. the High Side. Tuck and roll baby, tuck and roll.

Or maybe you had commenced "OH SHIT" braking before you came off of the bridge and my big spew is meaningless.

Roy

P.S. Glad you are OK and by the way, excellent description of what was happening, what you experienced as you crashed. Sounds like you kept your wits about you as you went through this experience. That's tough to do, good job.

Last edited:
Very good explaination, i think you have nailed it.

I do however wish to add fatigue into it. I know i was struggling with sore arms, wrists and ass by this stage.

here are some better shots of the bike!

crash1.jpg

crash2.jpg

crash3.jpg

crash4.jpg

crash5.jpg

crash6.jpg

crash7.jpg

No damage to the frame or donk?

I can't tell you FZ1 prices, but I got rough quotes for FZ6 stuff that might give you an idea.

Gauges, I was told, ballpark, 1400.

Headlight, 500.

Mirrors, 140.

Tank was 1350.

The indicator may have just broken the clip on the back and a new clip won't cost much.

Pegs, rearset, plastic, seat, probably bars, they'll try the fix the swingarm game, but even with that you're getting pretty close to 7 grand with labour. I'm thinking it'll probably be written off. Especially if there's any straightening to do.

Thanks for posting up pics and reliving a carp moment to try to help others.

Well it looks like all you need to do is get a new foot peg and blinker stalk and your off riding again. Gauges really are not nessassary and the rest if it looks like it came right out of Mad Max. Not only that but you dont have to worry about scratching her any more. A quick and fun way to fix your head is to get a dirt bike and throw that around for a little bit. You will get so use to being tossed off it will become second nature...

No damage to the frame or donk?

I can't tell you FZ1 prices, but I got rough quotes for FZ6 stuff that might give you an idea.

Gauges, I was told, ballpark, 1400.

Headlight, 500.

Mirrors, 140.

Tank was 1350.

The indicator may have just broken the clip on the back and a new clip won't cost much.

Pegs, rearset, plastic, seat, probably bars, they'll try the fix the swingarm game, but even with that you're getting pretty close to 7 grand with labour. I'm thinking it'll probably be written off. Especially if there's any straightening to do.

Thanks for posting up pics and reliving a carp moment to try to help others.

Thanks Ozzieboy, My mates went thru everything damaged and we kinda worked out about $7-$8k also, plus labour. Although its in great condition considering i did a complete flip, there is still lots of minor damage which is costly.

Frame only has a small mark where the gear level hit it, and the donk is untouched.

I dont want it repaired as i wont want to ride it again knowing how lucky i was, plus i have lost plenty of confidence. Although my previous bike was a 08 R1, i think i might give the 1000cc a miss for a while.

I just bought my wife a 08 FZ6N so i will consider one of them, or possibly the R6 which i am big fan of.

I know how lucky i am to have no major injuries. My mate crashed his R6 on that same road and broke his leg so i was blessed!

Thanks for all your well wishes and comments guys.

Matt

******************donk******************

It's a currious thing, this 'DONK' you mention.... I'm asuming your talking about the Fuel tank..?..? Here in the Southern US we have 'DONKS' too, but a completly different animal. I supose the origins could be argued, but I believe it's origins were primarily an 'ethnic' thing, with the Black Guys initally coming up with the never before done theme of these cars. I'll admit, I'v stopped and talked with the owners and groups, these guys have some creative wild rides, not to be dismissed as all 'looks'. Some of the Donks I'v seen will lay down some impressive times/et's. Well here's our version of 'DONK' ......:) :)

Donk

My universal translator comes up with engine for "Donk".

Of course it could be a large muscular man, as in " I don't need a gun I've got a Donk".

Last edited:
bro, let the dust settle a little before giving up on that bike. A bike doesn't have to look perfect to ride, just run and handle great is all.

Do the minimum to get it going properly, then slowly buy used parts to replace the tank, whatever.

The problem with riding is the freakin learning curve is steep. You now know why 90% of used bikes on the market (street) have LOW mileage: riders gave up while still CLIMBING up the learning curve. The complexities of riding became real, overcoming their imaginary self picture.

Get Code's book, twist of wrist II. READ IT ABOUT 200 TIMES. You have to keep reading it because the abstractions of the book must be APPLIED to riding, and this takes time to sink into the brain.

Once Code's basics sink in, and it will take time, you'll be at the top of the learning curve. This doesn't mean that you 'know everything about riding,' but that you now understand the true LOVE of riding, as it all begins to come together. At this point, you build upon Code's idea, creating your own solutions for your particular loop/riding style. This is where it's at.

I guess all life is like that: zen of life, whatever.

The very best/talented go pro racer. Usually these guys are just naturals. But most are just like you and me: a struggle for awhile, some give up, some sense that there is something just beyond their perceptual grasp, and keep going.

You be sore today, and a little sorer tomorrow, but much better after that. Do the stretching stuff, slowly.

I couldn't agree with Scout more. The condition of your current bike is exactly how Streetfighters were invented. If you are really bothered by gettin back on THAT bike then get something different. I personally have a thing for Supermoto bikes as I find them the easiest things there are to ride in the twisties. Great way to re-build the confidence. Any used street and trail bike will do (the bigger the better of course), just spoon some street rubber on the stock rims to get started. The most important thing is to dust youself off and get back on something as soon as you heel up.

Good Luck

Roy

Listen to scout... smart man!

Sounds like you've pushed the envelope a bit too much. You can still ride, but do this at your own pace. The other guy with you... is he a better rider, more experienced? Was he leading? If so, there is the first problem. The experienced rider should never lead. This creates a peer-pressure that pulls the less experienced rider along at a pace that is out of their comfort zone. Unless that rider is knowledgeable enough to know where your zone is and has ridden with you enough to judge what your limits are, then you should be the leader.

Another great thing to do is go take the Basic Rider Course every few years. You'll be surprised how many bad habits you develop and what this course can help remind you NOT to do when out on the bike. A refresher is a good thing once in a while. Follow it up one year with the itermediate and advanced courses. Again, a lot of great practice to hone your skills.

Don't be discouraged. Don't try to keep up with others. Ride YOUR pace no matter the company you keep. After honing your skills, the speed will come naturally. Chock it up for experience and learn from what went wrong.

Thanks guys. I will certainly weigh up my options when i speak with the insurance company.

I can see where you coming from, but we'll see what happens. I am guessing it will take a while for insurance to do anything.

The guy i was with has been riding longer and rides his bike every day as a commute. I havent been riding for month and months, so was a bit rusty and trying to get back into the groove of the twistys. This was the first time i took the FZ into the twisty's and i certainly noticed the very different feel to the R1.

I actually missed the feeling of the R1, mostly because of the aggressive riding position as opposed to the upright position.

I am guessing there is more damage under the surface of the Fz1 considering the handle bar has put a huge dent in the tank. Considering the handle bar doesnt exactly go close to the tank, its been forced a long way and even now, we can make it touch the tank.

Oh well, thanks again everyone. Thanks for your advice and wishes.

I will keep u posted.

cheers Matt

it's true, don't give up! like i said before, i have crashed 2 bikes (and totaled both). i have been extremely lucky, and a lot of people think i have a death wish, and that i am stupid. but they don't understand that i really love to ride. "get back on the horse"....or bike, and tell yourself that you can do it! it took me two crashes to learn how to be a good rider, which is more than most, but it's all different now my friend. i am like a whole new rider, and i realize i don't have to try to keep up and exceed my riding abilities, just to keep up with a friend that is a more advanced rider. aint no shame in being yourself on the bike. just take it easy when you get back on and the rest will follow. your bike can be fixed, and i would do that before you get a new bike. you obviously loved it before you crashed it, so give it time and love it again!:Rockon:

Thanks guys. I will certainly weigh up my options when i speak with the insurance company.

I can see where you coming from, but we'll see what happens. I am guessing it will take a while for insurance to do anything.

The guy i was with has been riding longer and rides his bike every day as a commute. I havent been riding for month and months, so was a bit rusty and trying to get back into the groove of the twistys. This was the first time i took the FZ into the twisty's and i certainly noticed the very different feel to the R1.

I actually missed the feeling of the R1, mostly because of the aggressive riding position as opposed to the upright position.

I am guessing there is more damage under the surface of the Fz1 considering the handle bar has put a huge dent in the tank. Considering the handle bar doesnt exactly go close to the tank, its been forced a long way and even now, we can make it touch the tank.

Oh well, thanks again everyone. Thanks for your advice and wishes.

I will keep u posted.

cheers Matt
I sold my FJR because I had some bad experiences with cars not seeing me and moving into the lane I was in, it happened several times in a 30 day period. Fortuantely for me, I did not have an accident and an accident has more significant consequences than a near miss (emtionally, physically, financially, etc).

It took me a very short time after selling my FJR (month) to decide that I missed riding my bike too much and I decided I would drive more defensively than I had before.

If you take some time to think it over you will make the right decision for you at that particular time and place. If that is with a bike so be it, if it is without a bike so be it.

Back