Need Help Getting Dirty and Adventerous

Brad, I've had my eyes open for a WR250R. The street legal version of the WR250. Plenty of grunt, very good suspension, the only problem is I can't find one for sale used. That said, that's a very good sign, as it's a very good bike.

The problem with the XT, etal, is the marginal suspension. That is one thing you can't really fix on a cheap dual-purpose, but the WR has in spades.

Went ahead and ordered me some beginner gear even though I am not sure what I will get. CG had a deal I could not pass up. Get Bilt pants and jersey and get a built off road helmet for free. Ready to pose!

Leaning towards DRZ400 ATM due to the fact it is the onlu manufacturer of the big 4 I have never owned. Also special promotion includes and 0 down and 0 APR is better than spending my own money that I can be earning interest on.

The 650 isnt water cooled its not bad but I if I buy another. Im going with the 400sm as well This was my 650.

DR650.jpg

i've been on a DRZ 400 in the wood and really liked it. It belonged to a buddy of mine who used on the street but aimed his setup towards trails. I would give it a thumbs up good aftermarket for it as well.

The 250 will be spectacular in the woods and tight single track. Like ay motorcycle you bigger guys may want to swap some springs but otherwise it will treat you right. Just stay off the highway with it.

Checking out a DRZ400S at the dealership tomorrow.

Bought Cheap Gear to get me started.....

Helmet Free with Jersye and Pants:
BILT Clutch Off-Road Motorcycle Helmet - Dirt Bike & ATV Gear - Cycle Gear

Pants:
BILT Dirt Bike & ATV Gear - Victor Off-Road Motorcycle Pants - Cycle Gear

Jersey:
BILT Dirt Bike & ATV Gear - Victor Off-Road Motorcycle Jersey - Cycle Gear

Goggles:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HMD8W6/ref=pe_175190_21431760_C1_cs_sce_dp_1]Amazon.com: Oakley O-Frame MX Goggles with Clear Lens (Black): Automotive[/ame]

Gloves:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/DIRTPAW-UNDERTOW-OFFROAD-GLOVES-BLACK/dp/B005FJ2J6E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337122504&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Fox Head Men's Dirtpaw Glove: Automotive[/ame]

After all that I will probably be embarassed to wear it.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts. Try the SM man! Really!

I am more interested in the dirt side of things right now. I think the SM series has been retired though. At least in the last few years I see no new offerings.

I did dit on this SM today though...
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400 SM MOTORCYCLES UNLIMITED HOUSTON, TX (281) 444-0545

Belongs to owner of my local shop. More bells and whisles than I am interested in though if someone were interested in tracking one, it is a beast as far a DRXs go.

Last edited:
New wheels are expensive. Plus you'd need to buy a fair amount of protective plates for the SM model to make it really off-road worthy. Better off with the S.

Another vote for the DRZ-400S. I love mine and the only thing that's been keeping me from riding it almost daily recently is my FZ1. :cheers:

430532_3432148889306_1437904395_3326956_1025147682_n.jpg

Went in during my lunch break to see the black 2012 DRZ and I am in love with it. I did not test ride because of my fancy work duds but hope to this weekend with proper gear.

10925d1337297401-need-help-getting-dirty-adventerous-2012-suzuki-dr-z-400-s-preview-201.jpg

I did sit on it though. It is going to take some getting used to such a high seat. With a 29" inseam I am barely tiptoeing and think I will have to get a 1" lowering link. While it will reduce clearance I think it will be a while before I am douing anything agressively enough that I would miss that 1".

P.S. I was approved for the Suzuki's current crazy finance promotion of ZERO down, 0% APR for the term of the loan. I would normally just buy the thing but that deal is better than spending my own money. I will just earn interest on mine and double up on payments with them

Hopefully I will have more to report this weekend. I already have tons of mods planned out if I get it.

Last edited:
Went in during my lunch break to see the black 2012 DRZ and I am in love with it. I did not test ride because of my fancy work duds but hope to this weekend with proper gear.

I did sit on it though. It is going to take some getting used to such a high seat. With a 29" inseam I am barely tiptoeing and think I will have to get a 1" lowering link. While it will reduce clearance I think it will be a while before I am douing anything agressively enough that I would miss that 1".

P.S. I was approved for the Suzuki's current crazy finance promotion of ZERO down, 0% APR for the term of the loan. I would normally just buy the thing but that deal is better than spending my own money. I will just earn interest on mine and double up on payments with them

Hopefully I will have more to report this weekend. I already have tons of mods planned out if I get it.

Cool. I understand the attraction to buying one new, but at least consider buying a used one. Especially for this kind of bike. The first time you take a brand new one offroad it will look almost exactly like a used one you could have bought for half (or less) the $. You could probably pick up a 3-4 year old used one with less than 10K miles on it for $3,500 or less and put $500 into it to farkle it out and take much less of a loss on the bike when you get around to selling it later. Nothing you don't already know I'm sure, but sometimes it helps to hear it from someone else just one more time. Whichever way you go, new or used, I hope you enjoy the bike. :cheers:

Cool. I understand the attraction to buying one new, but at least consider buying a used one. Especially for this kind of bike. The first time you take a brand new one offroad it will look almost exactly like a used one you could have bought for half (or less) the $. You could probably pick up a 3-4 year old used one with less than 10K miles on it for $3,500 or less and put $500 into it to farkle it out and take much less of a loss on the bike when you get around to selling it later. Nothing you don't already know I'm sure, but sometimes it helps to hear it from someone else just one more time. Whichever way you go, new or used, I hope you enjoy the bike. :cheers:

Yeah, I totally understand. I just happen to be missing that rational part of my brain. I like for my toys to be new and unmolested. It is my tragic flaw. My wife agrees that is my tragic flaw BTW. ;) Someone out there needs to provide good used bikes to folks. I am one of them. lol

You won't need to lower it once you get comfortable with the height. It's so light and easy to handle that one foot is all you'll ever need

:)

Back