Needing some input?

drclarksmith

I am torn between getting a 16t front sprocket or not. I'm not sure how much this will affect my speedometer and don't know how much a speedohealer costs? Is it worth it guys? I've already done Akra Carbon Slip-on, PCIII, Ivan's E-map, FCE, AIS Block Off, Flies, BMC filter, Airbox Mod.......I know it adds more torque response in the lower gears, but I'm not sure if I need it or not? I wouldn't mind more torque, BUt I also don't need my front wheel coming up everytime I get on the throttle.

Input is appreciated, also links to which sprocket and where to find a speedohealer would be great. And is it a 10min install or is there more to it?

Thanks,
CJ

if you just go with a 16t up front.. and no change in the back... it won't be too extreme... it won't come up every time you get on the throttle....

and actually... with the stock speedo error being roughly 5%... it'll bring your speedometer pretty close to being right... in stock configuration, you could really use a speedo-healer... and they run a little over $100.

if you just go with a 16t up front.. and no change in the back... it won't be too extreme... it won't come up every time you get on the throttle....

and actually... with the stock speedo error being roughly 5%... it'll bring your speedometer pretty close to being right... in stock configuration, you could really use a speedo-healer... and they run a little over $100.
Thanks VA_Rider, so what your saying is......I'll be killin two birds with one stone? So I should get the sprocket, and I won't need the speedohealer because the stock speedo is a little off anyways?

Here's one of my bookmarks I keep handy: Motorcycle Utilities

Check out the Sprocket conversion chart. :tup:

Also this link from his page: http://www.dropbears.com/u/utilities/gearing.htm and download the zipped Excel spreadsheet. You can save it then toy with the numbers in the sheet (teeth per sprocket) and see the speeds and RPMs change. VERY HANDY!

Best to measure with a GPS on sustained constant speed runs at 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 mph. Note each speed's difference from the cluster to the GPS. AS it stands right now because I have not installed the 16 yet, I run my bike 10% over what speed I really want to be driving at. So, if I want to be doing 50 mph, I drive an indicated 55, indicated 88 is 80 mph actual... you get the picture. It's working because I've never been stopped passing cops at their hideouts. ;)

Last edited:
If you really want to go with a 16T sprocket then go with a stock front one from a Gen I FZ1. I was in the same boat as you and decided to stay with the stock gearing. The fuel mileage is already kind of crappy as it is. I really didn't want to lose any more MPG and let's face it the bike is fast enough. Oh and it will want to come up more with the 16T sprocket, but I guess you can control that with your wrist ;)

Actually, I think you're thinking backwards here...

The stock speedo is already off by around -5%; going -1 on front will make it MORE off, or worse, not bring it closer to being accurate.

With the -1 on front it will be quite a bit off, closer to -10%; you can do the calculation in your head with the speed once you clock it with a GPS and compare, but your odometer will show around 10% more miles than you're really driving. Not good in anyone's book.

I definitely recommend the SpeedoHealer for anyone wanting to do a gear change, unless you don't mind the miles piling up (and lessening resale value!)

Now going to a 190/55 tire on back with stock gearing will bring the speedo closer to accurate, because it actually makes your overall gearing a bit taller. A stock bike with 190/155 will be very close to accurate, only around -2%.

On my Gen II, with -1 on front (shorter gearing), and a 190/55 on back (taller), my overall correction is -7.9% on the speedhealer.

Back