New Guy

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
Those in the FZ6 forums know me. :D

Hi. I'm Eric. And I have a motorcycle problem. Seems I cannot get away from blue blood Yammies and the FZ series of bikes.

Glad to be here folks! Love the new FZ1 and looking forward to helping out here as best I can. I already see a few familiar people! :thumbup:

Pete! I didn't know you were here too! :D Thanks!

va_rider, thanks! I read your latest blog and am still laughing about the grilled hot dogs! THAT is something I'll never forget! Thanx!

Glad to be here and I hope that I can contribute. I'm totally new to the FZ1 so I won't have the knowledge or technical stuff down for a while like I did with the FZ6. Soon though... I've already tore half the bike apart once. :D

I'm fabbing up my own FE Kit too but having a hard time finding someone to cut and bend it using aluminum. I'll figure it out.... ;)

Thanks guys!

Pete! I didn't know you were here too! :D Thanks!

va_rider, thanks! I read your latest blog and am still laughing about the grilled hot dogs! THAT is something I'll never forget! Thanx!

I drop in every once in a while to see what is going on.

I'd love to have a Gen 2, oh the mods I'd do on that bike! I suppose I can live vicariously through you however. :Rockon:

Well....give us some details on why you decided to step up in the FZ family? Curious to know the pros and cons from someone who has actually ridden both.

Adam

Well....give us some details on why you decided to step up in the FZ family? Curious to know the pros and cons from someone who has actually ridden both.

Adam

Ok Adam... can do!

I've owned both the '05 and '08 FZ6. Actually thought I'd die with that '08 beside be, maybe even be buried with it. :eek: I had said in the past that I never thought I'd push myself beyond the bike's capabilities.... But then we went to the Tail of the Dragon at the end of May. I discovered in a hurry the pitfalls of the stock FZ6 . I could have put on better tires, Ohlin's rear, Brembo's, R6 fork conversion, etc... But then I'm fast approaching the cost of the FZ1. Now, I know the FZ1 doesn't offer it all either but it's a huge improvement.

What happened on the Dragon? The FZ6 forks coupled with the stock Dunlops didn't hold up. I was easy on the first few corners then started getting off the seat and pushing it harder. Two words: Wash out! The front started going and I'm still unsure how I saved it but it certainly made me rethink a lot of things. (Required new boxers too! ;) ) I've pushed the 6 here in NH but we just do not have the technical roads that the South offers, not by a long shot, so what I thought was pushing was nothing comparatively speaking.

The FZ6 is good for all but the extreme carving while stock. That is the long and short of it.

The FZ1... she's not broke in yet. However, taking the same corners here on the FZ1 is a world of difference over the FZ6. The liter bike handles much better and feels more planted all the way through from entry to apex to exit. When you roll on the throttle at the apex with the FZ!, it is effortless for the bike to pull you through the exit. The FZ6 seemed to have to work (as it should) harder.

I've only got about 200 miles on her... the weather here is still craptastic (I'm wearing thermal pullovers under my jacket to commute and it's freakin JUNE 10th!!! Argh!) Once she is broken in, I'll start learning, slowly, how far I dare to take her to the edge. She is truly a BEAST. Seems like you can roll on 1st gear forever.... Love it!

Sorry to ramble... I thought I'd miss the FZ6... but I really don't. :confused0024: ;)

-Eric

I drop in every once in a while to see what is going on.

I'd love to have a Gen 2, oh the mods I'd do on that bike! I suppose I can live vicariously through you however. :Rockon:

Pete, I've been studying and searching and the possibilities with this bike are incredible. It's hard to believe where you can take this bike on (what I call) short money. I've got friends who spent 2, 3 and 4 thousand dollars to gain a few HP. On just under $1k with the FZ1, you can get close to 20 extra ponies. Even less money if you take some of the shortcuts. That is HUGE!

So, I'll try and post them as I complete them and give you some food for thought. ;) I'm still simply amazed at the raw power... and to think where I can take it! :thewave:

I wish I could have kept both, but nope... traded the FZ6 for the FZ1 and traded the wife's V Star for the FZ6R.

Thanks BtoHay! Glad to be here!

Welcome...saw you had joined the other site as well. Wow that is nice an upgrade for you and the wife at the same time!

Eric, you will realize that once you strip open up the FZ1, it has much higher quality components than used on the FZ6. Price actually does matter. FZ1 doesn't seem to be made up of cheap components whatsoever.

Actually that Big Bang engine in the FZ1 makes it one of the most mod friendly bike and one with the highest potential for performance improvement making it closer to the R1 figures only with much better midrange.

Eric, you will realize that once you strip open up the FZ1, it has much higher quality components than used on the FZ6. Price actually does matter. FZ1 doesn't seem to be made up of cheap components whatsoever.

Actually that Big Bang engine in the FZ1 makes it one of the most mod friendly bike and one with the highest potential for performance improvement making it closer to the R1 figures only with much better midrange.

I'm fast figuring this one out. I cannot believe the potential of this bike and wonder why more people aren't grabbing them off the floor. This is the single best machine I've ever owned.

That Two Bros arrives tomorrow so I guess I'm modding this weekend! :D

Back