New Member gratutiously showing off pics of awesome (fully faired) FZ1.

Hey all,

A few weeks ago I bought an 07 FZ1 after selling my 07 kawaski zx6r.
The previous owner told me about this forum and I've already been lurking and have found a lot of useful info - so thanks for that!

Anyway, thought I would introduce myself and the bike. When I bought her, the previous owner had upgraded to a Beowulf exhaust, stainless steel brake lines and a PCIII.

I loved the ride of the bike, but thought it was kind of ugly - in my opinion, a bike should either have full fairings or be fully naked. The whole partial fairing thing turned me off. So I decided the first thing I would do is go faired or naked. According to my yamaha dealer, the OEM naked headlight assembly would have cost $1300, whereas the OEM fairings were only $600.
So I sprung for the fairings. I also ordered some decals and a ZG shorty windscreen and for now am done modding - just to let the wallet recuperate a bit.

So far I'm loving the bike! As I mentioned, my last bike was a 600cc super sport (kawi ninja zx6r). That was an incredible work of design and engineering, but was super ridiculous and inefficient for a daily driver/commuter (my primary use for a bike). But now with the FZ1 I have SS like performace with what I consider a very comfy ride.

In the pics below you'll see what the bike looked like when I bought it and what it looks like now - hope you enjoy!

Oh, and sorry for the quality of pics - they were all taken with my iphone

Before:
IMG_0396 by hypersquirell, on Flickr
After:
IMG_0420 by hypersquirell, on Flickr

IMG_0422 by hypersquirell, on Flickr
IMG_0423 by hypersquirell, on Flickr
IMG_0426 by hypersquirell, on Flickr
IMG_0430 by hypersquirell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Beautiful looking bike you got there. Yamaha did a nice job with the full fairings on the Gen II. And I really like your short ZG screen :tup:

Congrats Moniker on the new ride. I love the "Faired" look myself. The bike looks great that way. I've been "naked" again since my accident back in July, but thats gonna change real soon as I just got the word from work that my packages have arrived! Can't wait til tomorrow.

:welcome: Welcome to the group and if you have questions, don't be afraid to ask them here. We are all easy going.

Welcome to the community, you´ll like it here and congrats on your bike. The full fairing turned out great although i really like the looks on half fairing bikes, it´s like a women just in bikini ;)
Once again welcome

Last edited:
Congrats on your FZ! I have had my 09 for a few months and I love it. Your bike looks great with the fairings, but I think they also look great half faired. My last bike was an SV650s, which also has a half fairing like the FZ1, so I guess the look grew on me. To me, the cons of the full fairing outweigh the pros: more stuff to remove for maintenance, more money to fix if you drop the bike, and it makes the bike look like all the gixxers, R1s and CBRs buzzing around everywhere (not that they look bad, but I like having a unique looking bike).

Welcome on board and indeed, the full fairings look great! I can't believe only $600! Especially when the OEM Lower Cowl is around 4 bills...

Congrats!

Hey all,

A few weeks ago I bought an 07 FZ1 after selling my 07 kawaski zx6r.
The previous owner told me about this forum and I've already been lurking and have found a lot of useful info - so thanks for that!

Anyway, thought I would introduce myself and the bike. When I bought her, the previous owner had upgraded to a Beowulf exhaust, stainless steel brake lines and a PCIII.

So far I'm loving the bike! As I mentioned, my last bike was a 600cc super sport (kawi ninja zx6r). That was an incredible work of design and engineering, but was super ridiculous and inefficient for a daily driver/commuter (my primary use for a bike). But now with the FZ1 I have SS like performace with what I consider a very comfy ride.
the bike looks awesome.

Thanks for all the positive comments, everybody!

After re-reading my initial post I realized that I came off as a little elitist about the fairings, so I should clarify. I think the FZ1 is a great looking bike, fairings or no. But I've never owned anything without full fairings so I guess I didn't really appreciate the stock look.
Anyhow, thanks again for the good reception.

Regarding the turn signals comment:
I agree that flush mount signals would be waaaaay better looking, but I commute in the dark early morning through the city of Dallas and I feel that those jumbo signals might help add to my visibility and make me less likely of being run over (The drivers in my fair city are....well erratic, to say the least).

Agree/disagree?

I agree that flush mount signals would be waaaaay better looking, but I commute in the dark early morning through the city of Dallas and I feel that those jumbo signals might help add to my visibility and make me less likely of being run over (The drivers in my fair city are....well erratic, to say the least).

Agree/disagree?

Moniker... congrats on the beautiful bike. You are absolutely wise to leave the turn signals alone. I have a 2009 and my front signal lights remain on by default as daytime running lights. I'm not sure if the 2007's do the same, but I think this is a terrific safety feature to at least give a little more visibility to all those cagers that like to pull in front of us. Most cager/bike collisions happen from the front, so I think it's best to put as much light in their eyes as possible.

As riders we accept the risks cause it's so damn fun. But I think there's nothing wrong with mitigating the risk with as much visible light as possible, and wearing high visibility armor. To each his own.. but I think the risk of flushmount signals and integrated tail lights aren't worth the minor aesthetic gains. The soccer moms on the cell phone, and the teen drivers that are texting have microseconds to see you between their glances back to their phone. Anything that gets their attention is a plus.

Okay.. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Last edited:
Your dealer is wrong about the FZ1N conversion cost. Contact Chris @ partshark.com, it is close to $500-600 depending on whether you want the radiator shrouds or not.

But I agree that fairings are more functional. Thats the reason my FZ1N light has been sitting on my garage shelf for a year now.

Beowulf? never heard of that exhaust, thought it was a debadged GYTR when I saw it.

I like fairings on the FZ, but I'm headed in the other direction with mine eventually

Your dealer is wrong about the FZ1N conversion cost. Contact Chris @ partshark.com, it is close to $500-600 depending on whether you want the radiator shrouds or not.

But I agree that fairings are more functional. Thats the reason my FZ1N light has been sitting on my garage shelf for a year now.

Or I think you can do it all yourself and stay away from the OEM headlight and speedo mount for a lot cheaper

Thanks for all the positive comments, everybody!

Agree/disagree?

Visability is key-so, always a good idea to error on the side of saftey. BTW, I wear an ICON Mil Spec Vest for visability. I probably wouldn't, however I work on a Military Base and high vis is required. Never the less, much of the time I wear it even if I'm not going on Post-at least half the time anyway.

Really great looking FZ1. Welcome to the forum.:sport12:

Back