New member welcome thread...

Well look on the bright side, You've got a good story to tell. Did you stuff and mount the 4WD or was the hide to messed up for the Taxi-dermist.:laugh2:

Welcome aboard from the land of ice and snow, and decent beer.:cheers:

Thanks.

Unfortunately due to the side of the engine missing the 4WD got away.

Was a bit concerned when I couldn't feel my peg or brake lever, but when I looked down my foot was still attached (those 4WD's bite hard...lol)

I was rather fortunate that I leave the pillion pegs off for track purposes and had somewhere to put my foot. Only soft tissue damage and a destroyed boot. No broken bones.

I love the reaction I get when I tell people I had a head-on with a 4WD on my bike though...lol.

View attachment 1272

View attachment 1273

A sad, sad day. 50,000km in 15 months and still going strong.

Well Ozzieboy at least you walked away from it to ride another day and bikes can always be replaced.

I'm sure you're going to really like the FZ1 and best of luck. Make sure you post some pictures when you get it.

Lucky

Yes, you are lucky that you still need a footpeg on the right side of the bike. Doesn't get much closer than that. Let's hope you keep the FZ1 intact longer. What some guys won't do for an excuse to upgrade to a liter bike.:tup:

New FZ1

Just got a blue Gen 1 - all stock except tinted Memphis shades windshield and GYTR bar lowerer (or perhaps riser?).

I'm a 40 something IT guy, wih non-rider wife (who is a sometimes pillion).
I also ride a KLX400 on the gravel backroads and trails, but am looking forward to the paved backroads on the FZ1.

I also own an old Kawasaki Concours (for Sale):cry:, and NT650 Hawk (track bike repair project).:banghead:

I've yet to search posts but hope to find the most popular mods for the FZ1 to see what might make it fit me that much better.:tup:

Hi folks. I'm here doing research before I buy a new, or more likely, used bike. Top contenders are the Suzuki Bandit 1250, the FZ1 or maybe their little brothers the 650's. The bike will be used mostly for long distance touring. I've owned the same bike since 1981 and while it still looks good and runs well, I would like to move into the 2000's. Attached photo of the old girl.

100_4530.jpg

Hi folks. I'm here doing research before I buy a new, or more likely, used bike. Top contenders are the Suzuki Bandit 1250, the FZ1 or maybe their little brothers the 650's. The bike will be used mostly for long distance touring. I've owned the same bike since 1981 and while it still looks good and runs well, I would like to move into the 2000's. Attached photo of the old girl.

100_4530.jpg

Nice to have you along Ranger! Very nice bike you have. She definitely looks mint. What model is that?

The Flat Lands

100_4530.jpg

Ranger, Living in Saskachewan, it goes without saying that you will be long distance touring. You have to just to get somewhere that has a twisty road, (overpasses don't count). I used to live in Winnipeg so I know what I am talking about.

Of your listed choices I would strongly recommend the Big FZ. With bags you are only limited by yourself. The bike can handle whatever you throw at it with ease. A bigger windsheild will help keep all the prairie bugs off your helmet and leathers. Why settle for less machine when you can find a deal on an FZ1. You won't regret it !

Look me up when you make it out to Calgary.

You have to just to get somewhere that has a twisty road,

Last year I rode The Big Horn, Chief Joseph and Beartooth passes in Wyoming. The old Seca likes turns but isn't a big fan of high elevation. Fuel injection would be nice.
I do know that I'd like a luggage rack, tall windscreen, Pro-oiler, throttle lock and haven't decided between hard bags or soft, on the new bike.
Calgary is quite likely on my riding schedule next year.

Have fun shoveling snow!!

your turn

Last year I rode The Big Horn, Chief Joseph and Beartooth passes in Wyoming. The old Seca likes turns but isn't a big fan of high elevation. Fuel injection would be nice.
I do know that I'd like a luggage rack, tall windscreen, Pro-oiler, throttle lock and haven't decided between hard bags or soft, on the new bike.
Calgary is quite likely on my riding schedule next year.

Have fun shoveling snow!!

The snow is coming your way so your turn is coming!

If you decide to go the soft luggage route, let me know, I have a Givi kit for the FZ1 that keeps the bags away from your wheels. I will sell it very cheap. You can see it in the picture"Nordeg", it is just two black steel tubes that fit between the footpeg bracket and underside of the tailpiece. Also for a luggage rack, for a Gen 2, I made one that replaces the rear seat, check out the "Mods" section.
I am planning a trip out to the Island next July,(last half) and the more the merrier. Check out "2010 Late July" in Touring section.

Last edited:
Newbe with questions

I'm Rod, 52, 6'2" and a newbe with an 07 FZ1. I know that it is a no-no here but I have been riding Harleys for a number of years. I have a 09 Street Glide that I will not part with (my wife would leave me also). I normally put on 10-14,000 miles per year. With my Corbin seat I would love to do an iron-butt with this bike. I have tried a lot of second bikes over the last few years. BMW1150RT, V-Rod, other HD's and a couple months ago purchased a Buell X1 Lightning. I rode it for a short time and wanted a bike that could provide a little more performance and capable of handling a taller windshield. Sold the Buell, looked at a Gen 1 and it felt good to sit on. Found the Gen 2 with 290 miles on it for not much more so I bougt it without riding one.

I rode the bike for a few miles in city traffic when I bought it, loaded up and can't ride now because of the snow and cold in Iowa. I have to admit that I was extremely disipointed in the lack of power and torque with the lower RPM's during this short spin. The Buell was much more responsive and fun to ride at slower speeds. I have since been reading and will be changing the sprockets and a few minor engine mods. Hopefully this will improve this lack luster performace.

My other changes will be to lower the rider pegs a little. I think the Gen 1 pegs were a little lower and seemed a more comfortable to me. I will also be adding a taller windshield.

I have enjoyed this forum so far and hopefully it will help me with my mods. Thanks

Hey Rod,
This is not a bike that You want to judge by its performance at low rpms. I ride it mostly at low rpms in city traffic and it's nice there, but it shines above 8000 rpm. It's a sportbike engine in an upright citybike. Try to remember what You'd do with it if you were 20 years old, and it's not going to dissapoint. If then it's not enough, you can change the forward sprocket to a 16T and see if it suits You better. If not, the 2009 Fireblade should do the trick

Greetings from the Netherland

Hi,

I'm new here, I have a FZ1-N for almost two years. It's my first bike and it's great. Do quite a lot of racing with it on Assen and Zandfoort. But nows it's winter so have a wait a few months now. I made a lot of changes to the bike and would like to see what other people change do wth the bike.
See ya

Welcome from across the Pond

Hi,

I'm new here, I have a FZ1-N for almost two years. It's my first bike and it's great. Do quite a lot of racing with it on Assen and Zandfoort. But nows it's winter so have a wait a few months now. I made a lot of changes to the bike and would like to see what other people change do wth the bike.
See ya

Welcome to the forum. There is always something interesting to read and videos to watch,(more and more). Post some pictures when you can, we all like to see other peoples toys. I see you already added an album and pictures, good stuff. The matching tank cover is common over there it would seem, but the first in that colour for me. I like the belly pan, Magic Racing?

Last edited:
Hi,

See ya

Welcome! Do you have any pictures of you at Assen? I'd love to see them. I know thats a pretty fast track.

Hi everyone

My names Shane, just got my first road bike a 06' FZ1, after about 30 years of dirt bike riding, made the switch to the black top, and absolutely rapt with the FZ1.

Was told it is a good bike to help with the dirt to road progression, due to the upright seating position as opposed to the R1's and the like. ( just have to keep my feet on the pegs around corners:embarrased:, old habits )

I picked up the FZ1 with 15,000K's, has an Ivan's fuel cut eliminator, K&N air filter, Yoshi stainless slip on, tail eliminator and a custom made gear rack.

Have been trolling the site for a while and reading up on heaps of useful info, but will sit back and get used to the bike before doing anything else to it, (if I do)

One thing that I am wondering is that the right hand engine pipe seems to have Blued up a fair bit while the other 3 have kept their original colour, does anyone have any theories on why this would have happened.

Thanks in advance
Shane.

P1951_08-12-09.jpg

P1952_08-12-09-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all,
After riding my 08 FZ1 for about a year and a half I finaly stumbled upon this site. I've been riding for a little over 20 years. Currently my stable includes, in addition to the FZ, an 85 FJ1200, and a 95 YZF 600.

Hello all,
After riding my 08 FZ1 for about a year and a half I finaly stumbled upon this site. I've been riding for a little over 20 years. Currently my stable includes, in addition to the FZ, an 85 FJ1200, and a 95 YZF 600.

Welcome Hawk. Glad to have you here. Thats quite a nice lot of bikes you've got. Lets see some pics of the three. I really want to see the YZF.

Gday all,
Been looking at this site for quite a while and seeing how i am now the more than happy owner of a 07 FZ1S thought i would try to get all your knowledge, etc lol.
Have had many bikes over a long period traded a YZF600R which had done her duty , the FZIs as far as im concerned is the progression of Yamaha in making useable road weapons , the thing is so smooth and easy to ride and ride hard also. Will be fun we i get to the island for a ride day as the old YZF600 could get round in 2 mins flat not real bad for an old fart lol
Anyway
cya

Back