New Owner, Need Help!

I just purchased my 2008 fz1 a couple of days ago... I got a few questions for you FZ1 Vets. Can any1 provide a "typical shift,RPM chart" for example

shift out of 1st at 2k RPM
2nd at 4k RPM
3rd at 6k RPM

I know its more or less the feel of the rev on the bike but switching from my 08 Gsxr, it feels all wrong and feels like i'm not hitting the gears as i should. As i shift from 1st to 2nd, i'm getting a unusual hard shift. Also from gear to gear i'm getting a very snappy throw back it seems. (not pinning the gas either) Should i pull into the clutch, shift and quick let go of the clutch or easly release the clutch back out. Also as i pull in with the clutch leaver, i should be releaseing the gas throttle with my right hand a the same time, correct???

Also whats the typical MPG, Seems like i should be getting better then 36 mpg at a cruse of about 60 Mph (which is 4k RPM) My bike has little over 5,000 miles so could this play a factor in it?

a few more questions i also have:
- Temp rate, whats average and whats to high?
- Chain lube, what is a good high temp, non splatter chain lube?
- weather, I've never really rode much in the rain, does this have a major affect on the way the bike in any way, should i just stay out of the rain or will it not effect the bike at all in any way?
- Cleaning, whats a good compound to clean and wax the bike with?
- Service, whats the typical mileage, when brake pads, disk, chains, sprocket, tires, oil, and motor coolant need to be up dated or change?

I know 90% of these questions do not have a standard, set answer. what i'm looking for is just an idea. some information about my bike. It is a 2008 (red) FZ1, it is 100% stock. The bike has 5,000 miles on it.

Any and all feed back would be 100% Appreciated

First off, welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your bike!

This information is from the owners manual for the Gen 2 FZ1:

Shift up points:
1st → 2nd: 20 km/h (12.5 mi/h)
2nd → 3rd: 30 km/h (18.8 mi/h)
3rd → 4th: 40 km/h (25.0 mi/h)
4th → 5th: 50 km/h (31.3 mi/h)
5th → 6th: 60 km/h (37.5 mi/h)
Shift down points:
6th → 5th: 25 km/h (15.5 mi/h)
5th → 4th: 25 km/h (15.5 mi/h)
4th → 3rd: 25 km/h (15.5 mi/h)
3rd → 2nd: 25 km/h (15.5 mi/h)
2nd → 1st: 25 km/h (15.5 mi/h)

If you look in the same owners manual you will find a schedule for maintenance for the things you are asking.

You can get an electronic version (pdf) of your owners manual from the Yamaha Motors web site if you do not have a hard copy
of the manual.

Last edited:
I typically shift at about 5 - 5500k RPM between gears when just riding or commuting. If I am stuck in a flow of traffic over 45 mph, I just hit 6th gear and idle along with them.

Temp - on a HOT day, my bike has run up to 225 degrees. You need to worry when you start seeing 250 or higher. Somewhere above 275 is the danger point.

Chain lube - I use Dupont Chain Wax. Put it on a cleaned warm chain, let sit for 30 minutes then loosely wipe off the excess with a clean rag. Any lube too often is better than none or not often enough! :D

Weather - My bike sees everything from 36 degrees to 100+ days with rain every week or so. No problems so long as you keep all the lubed parts well lubed. Rain isn't an issue, just be VERY careful when you see painted roadway that is wet. It's like ice... no sudden moves or sharp turns!

Cleaning - Any good automotive wax is good for the bike. I like Maguier's (SP?)

Maint really depends on how you ride the bike. The harder you ride, the more you should be inspecting, lubing and cleaning parts. A chain and sprocket set that is well maintained will last 30k. Brakes - I'm at 12k miles and mine are about half worn. Check the front pads twice as often as the rear. Change the oil and filter every 3k miles. Oil, so long as it is rated for a motorcycle, is any brand you wish to use. Tires depend on your riding and what you've mounted. An average commuter on a sport-touring tire can see 8k to 12k on a good set of rubber. We have some members that use up a set in less than a week so you can see that this is all on how hard you push the bike. ;)

Since you bought the bike used, I'd suggest, at the very least, changing the oil and filter no matter what. That is a cheap insurance that is important enough to do for peace-of-mind.

Hope this helps! Welcome and ride safe!!

Last edited:
36 mpg is about right for your bike. These are not built for economy. My average is 39.5 mpg. I ride a bit conservatively and spend most miles driving between NE Georgia and southern Tennessee. My worst mileage was 31 and my best ever was 44.4

Hope you enjoy your bike as much as I do mine.

Welcome to the forum!

Also whats the typical MPG, Seems like i should be getting better then 36 mpg at a cruse of about 60 Mph (which is 4k RPM) My bike has little over 5,000 miles so could this play a factor in it?

If you haven't already, I recommend you change your engine oil and air filter. (My preference is Mobil 1 syn and K&N high flow air filter)

Bear in mind, Yamaha states this bike will average 35mpg. That said, if you're doing straight highway miles, 36mpg is a bit low. However as a combination between city and highway, that's about right. I can range between 30mpg and 43mpg depending on tire condition, engine lubrication (recommend synthetic) but most importantly, how aggressively I'm riding. Your bike should be fully broken in at 5K mi. so you should be seeing your best mpg now vs when it was new.

Last edited:
Welcome, congrats for your purchasing the best street bike out there. Great bunch of members here, you'll get all the help you need setting up your FZ1 right here.

I think you'll find that your FZ likes to be shifted at 4 grand or higher. On my 08, if I try to shift really low in the RPM range, like 2000 or so the shift doesn't want to complete and sometimes I'll end up in a false neutral or get a noisy clunk when the shift completes. With 5000 miles you should be broken in, but you may also see it smooth out some more for another 5 to 6 thousand miles. I'm geared stock and at about 4 grand I'm just a tic under 60 MPH in 6th. I would expect to be getting close to 40 mpg when cruising steadily in the 60 to 70 MPH range.

Last edited:
Thank You all

I'd like to thank each one of you for the information. All the information was very helpful. I never thought i could get so much information from a form, let alone the freindly hospitality.

All i need to do now is get some pictures up now :D

If I am driving around just normal, I will cruise around 3500-4200K, and shift around 5 ish..

Highway I average around 180 degrees, city closer to 200-210. Depends on how long I am sitting for.

Clean the chain with white clear kerosene, using a spray bottle and wipe it down with some paper towels or something. Then I use Dupont chain lube found at Lowes. Comes in a blue can with the Jeff Gordon 24 number on it. Works great, I do it every 5-700 miles. Also you want to do this when the chain is warm. So do it after a ride and when it is going to sit overnight so the lube gets to setup and does not fly off the chain. So I always do it when I come home for the night and put the bike away, I will do it and then its good to go the next day.

Welcome to the forum!

The engine and transmission combo on the FZ likes alot of RPM to operate smoothly. I feel as though there is a lot of lash built in the trans that isn't taken up until over 5k. Mine never seems smooth until after that.

I don't even look to see what point I shift. I have not a clue. :) I can tell you that I usually cruise between 5K and 6K and average about 35mpg and in 97 degrees I am hitiing around 185 degrees on coolant. 225 when at a light..

Some good info in this thread. Perhaps we need a newbie FAQ sticky?

I just purchased a 2002 FZ1 this past Saturday and rode it to work today.

I come from a Dirt Bike Background, Had a few different 250cc 2-stroke bikes as a teenager. It has been years since I regularly rode, but I am happy to report I got back into the saddle as if I never left.

When I rode dirt bikes, I was told to only use the clutch for starting and stopping, and that I could just hard shift the gears the rest of the time as long as I pulled off the throttle some to drop the RPMs a bit.

Is that the case with Street Bikes? I have been using the clutch to shift because I did not know the answer, do you guy clutch between gears?

Thanks also for the tip on picking up the owners manual from yamaha's website, I just gave it a quick read through and found some good info in there with maint schedules etc etc.

Here is a picture I took today on my Lunch Break from the Top of Mount Soledad in La Jolla, CA.
2011-08-30134400.jpg

Last edited:
Some good info in this thread. Perhaps we need a newbie FAQ sticky?

I just purchased a 2002 FZ1 this past Saturday and rode it to work today.

I come from a Dirt Bike Background, Had a few different 250cc 2-stroke bikes as a teenager. It has been years since I regularly rode, but I am happy to report I got back into the saddle as if I never left.

When I rode dirt bikes, I was told to only use the clutch for starting and stopping, and that I could just hard shift the gears the rest of the time as long as I pulled off the throttle some to drop the RPMs a bit.

Is that the case with Street Bikes? I have been using the clutch to shift because I did not know the answer, do you guy clutch between gears?

Thanks also for the tip on picking up the owners manual from yamaha's website, I just gave it a quick read through and found some good info in there with maint schedules etc etc.

Here is a picture I took today on my Lunch Break from the Top of Mount Soledad in La Jolla, CA.
2011-08-30134400.jpg
I have an 07 that I recently bought, and like you, never use the clutch unless starting or stopping. The tranny is a little notchy, and I find down shifting the worst. I have learned to put a little pressure on the shifter while engine braking, then give the throttle a little blip when I want it to down shift. This seems the smoothest way to do it. As far as up shifting goes, I just let off the throttle a bit and pull up. it seems to work OK, but is a little rough. I am going to try my down shifting technique, with a bit of pressure on the shifter, for up shifting the next time I am out. I hope there are no issues with shifting without the clutch on the FZ1 as I will be in for tranny work if there is.

P.S. if you are cruising in 6th and want to drop a couple of gears to pass, I recommend using the clutch for that.

Back